Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Hunting Dogs and Dunkle
Unread 12-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
Bill Bolyard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Hunting Dogs and Dunkle

While hunting in Kansas with John, I had the pleasure to discuss with him different philosophy' on raising and training Bird dog's. As a Kid we always kept the dogs in a kennel with the Idea that making a house dog out of them would ruin there hunting ability. My dogs now, like John's are house dogs and from my own experience are better behaved in the field and hunt for me. Next year I look forward to hunting John's Brittany's and my Llewellins together.

The Question.

How many of you kennel your dogs and how many are house dogs? Do not forget to post a picture!

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0112.JPG (41.1 KB, 423 views)

"Let me hasten to explain, ere the cat people bristle their back fur,that we have nothing against little kitties who stay by the fire and restrict their diet to canned salmon. Our members wouldn't dream of shooting a cat in the lap of an elderly lady sitting in a rocking chair in the front parlor, provided the window is closed".

Corey Ford
Bill Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I'd love to post pictures but alas no camera...perhaps Santa will bring one

Willie,Tara, Daisy & Gunner are all house dogs. Daisy and Gunner perform excellent field work while Tara and Willie offer their unwavering love and affection as do Gunner and Crazy Daisy. You can't sit on the couch or in a chair without at least one of the dogs with you
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 01:07 AM   #3
Trigg Davis
Forum Associate

Member Info

My dogs are house dogs; I believe it produces the best results. I am not experienced posting pictures, my dog Shine is shown in photo Fridays with a post Bob Brown did and to which I responded today.

Trigg
Trigg Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 02:19 AM   #4
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

House dogs

Unread 12-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #5
Trigg Davis
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jack,

The pictures on the left look like two differnet dogs to me. Is that a Golden Retriever in the upper left? If it is I did not know you had one.

Trigg
Unread 12-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Good eye Trigg The top is a Golden "Morgan" and the bottom is labXhusky "Charlie" Before we adopted "Charlie" I had spent the better part of two seasons dogless. "Morgan" is the neighbors pet. Never been in the field in her life. I thought I would ask if "Morgan" could have some time doing what she was bred for. They agreed and "Morgan" found me a few roosters on 3 or 4 trips out. She is pretty much a natural. Just another example of a pet being up to the job. I was a bit concerned about firing the shotgun, since she was not at all introduced to it. I didn't want her to be gun shy, so the intent was to let her wander out a ways and fire in the opposite direction and repeat a couple times. Trouble was, she got onto a bird right away and flushed two nice roosters, so it was an immediate trial by fire. Didn't phase her a bit. She went on to find more, so she was invited a few times. The neighbor has a new found taste for wild pheasant.
Here is a shot of "Rio" who is an outdoor farm dog - a pet, but not a house dog. "Rio" is amazing and leaves the yard to hunt with anybody that even remotely looks like they might be hunting. Another natural hunter with no training but does it all and very well.

Unread 12-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
Trigg Davis
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jack,

Thanks I always enjoy your dog pictures. I am curious about Goldens and hunting because my wife may decide we should get one when our Newfuondland who will be 10 in January is overtqken by age. For now he is doing well. I also have the good fortune to have a contact with a fine field trial Golden breder so who kows maybe the day will come when a Golden will be added to our family.

Trigg
Unread 12-26-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

A Golden is a lovely dog. For my hunting, there are lots of burrs in the habitat. I had to spend a long time on "Morgan" to be able to send her home burrless. There are products to apply before the hunt (horse mane detangler) that makes getting burrs out an easy process. I'd have some on hand if I had a Golden for the hunting I do.

Cheers,
Jack
Unread 01-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #9
Mark Dube
Forum Associate

Member Info

We have 2 English Springers, Kira 4 yrs & apparently named for the yellow power ranger (we tried another name, but the kids refused to use it). Rigby, 8 months & named for a recent rifle acquisition. These house dogs think they are "lap dogs", "gaurd dogs" and "bird dogs", sadly their timing isnt always appropriate.
Mark Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #10
Angel Cruz Ortiz
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,177 Times in 485 Posts

My boy Nash is a house dog and hopefully by next season he'll be in the making of a bird dog.

Angel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0921.jpg (599.8 KB, 28 views)