Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-19-2010, 10:34 AM   #31
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Love squirrel. I have taken to hunting them with a .36 cal flintlock. Now, my dad and grandmother would always argue over the heads. Mom used to fry them with the rest of the squirrel. I never could bring myself to eat brains, but...
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #32
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

For anyone who hasn't tried it, armadillo roasted in the shell is as good as it gets...
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #33
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

Bluefish heads are great. The "tenderloins" in the top of the head and the cheeks are fabulous. Field mouse isn't bad either but they don't have a lot to offer. It would probably take more than two-dozen to make a decent meal for one person.

We were burning a brush-pile when the dog caught a field mouse that was trying to escape the heat. After allowing the dog to worry the poor little beast for a while I rescued it from certain death only to have it die in my hand.... so I roasted it over the fire and ate it - not bad at all... sweet, tender dark meat for what there was of it.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #34
C Roger Giles
PGCA Member

Member Info

Destry;

My squirrel season netted me one (1) fuzzy butt. I guess I have lost my ability to hunt squirrel. I'll try to find some turtle as I have perfected my soup de turtle, cloned that of the Rockwell Springs Club. Muskrat is mighty good also. My prefered way is to fix rat is to stew it in creamed corn as in Brest Bay style and serve over mashed potatoes.

I'm getting hungary because of this food conversation plus it is time to serve FG.

BTW Destry the Boo Whap gun is up for grab's

Rog
C Roger Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #35
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

I've eaten squirrel heads just out of curiosity, but didn't find them to be very good really. The old timers at home raved about them though, the jowl meat, the brain, and even the eyes were delicious tidbits to them. The cheeks and other head meat off catfish was also something they'd spend hours digging out.

I'll agree that muskrat is pretty good if cooked right, and beaver is about the same, maybe even a little better. Turtle is the king, if you can get it tender, that's the real trick. Always wanted to try softshell turtle but have never had the opportunity, we'd see them down at home but never got around one big enough to eat.

Squirrels are my favorite wild game though, even above duck or quail.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #36
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,874 Times in 4,756 Posts

Down here on the Eastern Shore, muskrat meats once sold in the country stores for a dollar. I never took advantage because there were always Oysters for sale at the same time. Now we don't see the rats for sale, at least publicly. I don't know much about squirrels. You'll have to ask The Lovely Linda. She knows quite a bit about squirrels and skinning and eating them. I'm a little unsure about the eating part.

Last edited by Bill Murphy; 02-19-2010 at 05:33 PM..
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #37
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

All these protein sources reminded me of a great thread on shotgunworld.com. A contributor there inherited his grandmother's recipe box and has been adding recipes from time to time. It is depression era stuff and any source of protein was "fair game". For those who enjoy making a good meal or have a good friend to make it, enjoy GRANDMA'S RECIPE BOX
Mmmmmmmmm..........
Unread 02-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #38
Lee St.Clair
Forum Associate

Member Info

Have several cousins who muskrat trap and turtle trap...so if anyone is interested...can get both for you. Last I paid for turtle it was not cheap. Walleye cheeks I can get too, in the spring. Let me know. Can ship in styrofoam and dry ice. Blessings, Lee
Lee St.Clair is offline   Reply With Quote