Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-17-2010, 10:01 AM   #51
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Francis , I forgot to mention Wes, both he and Bill run the gun dept. I talked to Wes at the Vintagers and he went back to talk to Mr Julia and that was the reply that I got, the only offer was they would aution the gun off for me with no commision, my reply was how can you sell a gun that is unsafe.... They didn't even offer to pay back the commision fee that I paid To me that was the least that they could have done. As I told Wes, I won't get my money back from Julia's but I will cost them far more then my cost. As of now I have already sent three guns that people asked me where to send to other aution houses or dealers on consignment. So I will get my pound of flesh just a little at a time
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 02-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #52
CHE
PGCA Member

Member Info

Jack, I talked to the people at Manson and they make everything except the screws and the gauge.
tom leshinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tom leshinsky For Your Post:
Looks OK to me- $100 for a barrel wall thickness gauge--
Unread 02-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #53
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Looks OK to me- $100 for a barrel wall thickness gauge--

I don't deal in Damascus or twist steel tubes as much as I do Nitro Proof steel tubes- but for a $100- how can you go wrong- order is en route to Brownell's- as they are in Montezuma Iowa, wonder if they give a discount to "Jarheads"- would be nice!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #54
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

The only barrel I ever burst (or will, I hope) was a Vulcan. It was sawed off and probably heavily honed. I never measured it for wall thickness before I ran an ounce and a half mag through it.
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #55
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Same for me - Vulcan. It was in rough shape when I got it from Dad back in late '70's. Had it all tightened up and dents/bulges removed (I suspect those spots are weakened - any comments?). In the late 90's a crack was noticed at the muzzle. The barrels got a trim. In 2003 left barrel burst with light load. It never saw magnum ammo except possibly Dad's home made "hot loads" for those long shots. So, in 2004 the barrels received more than a trim. It is now a coach gun with 18 3/8 barrels that I never mastered with upland birds, so it rests in the safe. Tried to find replacement barrels. I never did find just a set of barrels. I did get a rough gun with the thinking that the barrels would be used for the family gun. That one got me into trouble. Rather than just take the barrels, I decided it would be a shame not to attempt restoration. So then I had to find another but ended up with a nice shooter and then the "itis" got a firm grip. Then I found a nicer shooter and then I found a Trojan and with the help of this forum, I'm now an addict. Thanks for all the help.

Jack
Unread 02-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #56
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

No problem Jack...We are just tryin to spread the disease. Whats that phrase?"Affliction loves company"....
We are all in good company then Dave--
Unread 02-23-2010, 05:45 PM   #57
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default We are all in good company then Dave--

Hard to shake off that affliction isn't it? Sorta recalls one of the late Gene Hills' articles- "A World Without Shotguns" scary indeed--what a great writer, gunner, dog man- his aforementioned piece also makes me think of another --the title slips my mind, but I sure buy into Gene's thesis- goes along these lines- A bachelor gent who lives for fine small bore doubles and grouse and woodcock- becomes stranded on a deserted island- when he wakes up a very shapely and naked lass says "Welcome to Paradise Mr. Smithers- do you know where you are now?" Some remote island I'd guess, he replied- but why Paradise?" "Oh, come now, you can have ANYTHING you'd like, anything your dreams have ever dictated in the past" "Oh Boy Oh Boy, he said, jumping up and downlike a school boy at summer vacation-- You've got Woodcock shooting here and I hope there's a Woodward 20 bore behind your back for me"--- Yup

Of course, I might go for a BHE 10 std. 32" made in 1922, a great Retriever and a never ending supply of flight birds and shells for pass shooting supreme, but to each man, his own I guess--
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #58
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

And good company it is. After 4 here. Next order of business, a medicinal shot and then off to the creek for the dog hike.