Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Eric,Believe me I tried that it doesn't work....
Unread 02-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Dave, I don't think my wife wanted to hear that..............
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #13
Jason Boshers
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I was going to say something about the benefits of group therapy... but in rethinking the possibility I have come to the conclusion that we should really be seperated from one-another and shouldn't even be allowed to communicate with each-other. This is not just a disease that can be transmitted through bodily contact or even breathing the same air but can be contracted by merely communicating via e-mail, PMs or even posting on threads like this
Very true.

I have a couple of other "gunaholic" buddies that make my wife cringe when we get together. We are in complete uspport of each other with says such as "When was the last time you saw one ... that nice?" and "You know that is a good price, remember the one we saw at the show that looked like it had been used as a boat paddle!"
Jason Boshers is offline   Reply With Quote
"Old Pollacks never die- they just keep on truckin'--
Unread 02-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default "Old Pollacks never die- they just keep on truckin'--

With due apologies to both Gen. Douglas MacArthur and The Grateful Dead-- Nice 12- PH or GH with the Twist barrels? I don't buy from the auction sites, but as someone once said "Just because a man is on a diet doesn't mean he can't peruse the menu all he wants"--

Dave, I think you'd like the PH 16 with 26" Twist barrels on the 0 frame I recently bought- and had lettered- shipped off to a dealer in Maine in June 1908- with 26" barrels as ordered. Brother Harry Collins helped me get a replacement top lever spring, and you also gave me some good details on the King 18 pc. action design-

It works fine (albiet with snap caps- haven't gotten any BP loads yet-) and the other day I showed it to a member of our Hunt Club- he is an over-under man (mainly the Italian guns) and a fine shot- when he put it up to his shoulder (I hadn't told him it was a 16) just that it was a 100 year old Parker, his remark to me was "Wow, a 20 gauge- what a sweet well balanced double"

I think part and parcel of the "Parkeritis" that bites so many of us severly at times is- many of us here are getting "long in the tooth" and we yearn for the boyhood days afield with parent and grandparents- No condos or golf courses, no Posted signs, rural folks all knew each other and knew how to be good neighbors, you could buy a M12, a Ithaca NID, shells and even dynamite and fuse from any rural hardware store in America's heartland without question-- Times have sure changed- I think the late Robert Ruark predicted this in one of his stories "Same Knife, Different Boy"-
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #15
Lee St.Clair
Forum Associate

Member Info

Oh my goodness....you guys are too funny!!!
Shall we guess which 1 I vote for? Number 3!!!
A support group? hmmmm......have been a nurse for 25 years...and spent a 'few' of those as a nurse in a prison(only place they would pay me to tell men what to do). So I am pretty good at 'advising' men. I think I would be a pretty good facillitater of this group. First order of business will be my fees. You will have little left to buy any more Parkers with....and my single Parker will soon have company!!!
Lee St.Clair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #16
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Ahhh Francis, now we wax philosophically. Those were glory days (to rob from the Boss) and much missed. As a kid I was able to rent a gun for a friend for the day so he could come deer hunting - no questions asked. One day I was at an airport just because it was fun to watch the planes. A passenger jet landed and I had not seen such a machine up close and personal. I walked into the airport and asked an old security guard (just one in the whole place) if I could have a look at that plane. He said sure, so I walked out, climbed the ramp, had a look around, came back and said thanks. All my guns are "old", newest being a pump I bought as my first brand new gun and a little .22/.410 shortly thereafter (circa 1970). The oldest ones are recently acquired and a result of being "helped" here. I am lucky enough to still be able to find good habitat to hunt upland birds with permission from land owners, I would enjoy another day in the field with Dad and his hunting friends but my "teeth are getting long", putting me at the thin end of the wedge of the ever thinning hunting fraternity. Time waits for nobody (Freddy Mercury)
Unread 02-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #17
David Hamilton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jack, We down here in the South where it is warm and balmy are being subjected to some our your "frozen wastland" weather. Please take it back! I refuse to get addicted to it. So unfair. Does shooting at the storm help? Please advise! David
David Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #18
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hamilton View Post
Jack, We down here in the South where it is warm and balmy are being subjected to some our your "frozen wastland" weather. Please take it back! I refuse to get addicted to it. So unfair. Does shooting at the storm help? Please advise! David
David: No, no, no.......... You don't want it taken back. It is not unfair. Did you not get the memo? It has been sent as a gift. Yes, you can shoot at the storm and it is really really good. It will enhance your opportunities for great Sunday dinners because the ducks and geese are low and slow and routinely pass through the shot patterns launched. Now if you don't like that environment to exercise your Parker, then be very careful about shooting at the storm only. You will risk seeding the clouds, thereby causing even greater precipitation and even better shooting for others who know of what I speak. (Beware though, as some of them carry pumps, O/U's and autos, increasing the risk of expanding a simple Parker addiction to yet another level)
Cheers and brrrrrrrr

Jack

Now, back to the deck for my iced yet somehow steaming libation. Here the glass is always half full because you can't get further than that before it becomes a lump of ice

Unread 02-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #19
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Jack your in luck regarding the support group. I am thinking of opening a Canadian branch of Parkers by O.P.M (other peoples money) where as I am the CFO and CPO (Chief Parker Officer) I'll need someone to head the Canadian office. Were a small grass roots organization and meet in the fall of designated coverts that are kept secret (so know one shows up with a new 28ga) untill the last possible minute.

When the itch strikes a member he contacts his handler who guides him through the withdrawl process usually with the help of some members from Tennesse down around Lynchburg way. Once all the pros and cons have been sorted out and an intelligent and rational decision is reached can the member be released from therapy by his handler.

If this method of treatment proves unsuccesful (as it usually does) then ALL Parkers, Fox's, Ithaca's, W21's and even M70's are sent to the handler until the afflicted member sufficently recovers his good sence. In extreme cases his computer is confiscated and he becomes barred from sites such as Gunbroker, Guns International, Gun Room etc.

This is a proven method and as both safes are full its working.....I'm not in need of a third safe......yet
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 02-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #20
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Probably too late for me. Third safe needed. I suppose I may qualify for VP (Verified Parkerholic)