Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

U. S. Powder Co. Guns and others
Unread 02-20-2010, 02:08 AM   #1
PML
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,568 Times in 372 Posts

Default U. S. Powder Co. Guns and others

I purchased a nice Damascus DH in Las Vegas this year. The gun letters to the U.S. Powder Co. in San Francisco, Ca. I am curious how many Parker guns the U.S. Powder Co. ordered in their duration. Are there any other lettered guns for the U.S. Powder Co. out there? If so what do you have? My new DH has 30" Damascus barrels. Stock is 14 1/8 to SBP with DOC 1 1/2, and DOH 2 1/8. Does the PGCA database contain query capability by who ordered the gun? For example, How many guns did U.S. Powder order during Parkers Bros. duration?

This also got me thinking about guns by state or region. I am being selfish here in that I don't care about anything shipped East of the Rocky Mountains. I am specifically thinking about MY REGION. While there where many thousands of guns shipped by Parker Bros. throughout the U.S., I am curious if anyone has dissected the records to see how guns were shipped by State. I am not sure how the PGCA database is configured, or if it contains information by state for example. If so then I think it would make a great article to publish the guns Parker shipped by state/vendor. Again, I am thinking of where I live and the low number of guns shipped to my region and who ordered them. While there were thousands of guns shipped each year I am curious how many where shipped to the Pacific Northwest? (Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming, Utah)

Thank you
Patrick

Last edited by Patrick Lien; 02-20-2010 at 01:46 PM..
Patrick Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,875 Times in 4,757 Posts

Pat, there is a 26 page index in the front of each 300 page order book. The index is alphabetical, but no mention is made of the location of each customer. You would have to read each of the 300 pages of orders to determine the state the order was placed from. Customers like Simmons Hardware, E.K. Tryon, Tufts Lyons, Iver Johnson, and Abercrombie and Fitch ordered pages of guns and sent them to individuals and dealers all over the country. These destinations are not mentioned. You have a tough job ahead of you.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 02-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #3
Smoothebore
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Patrick,

I can't help with US Powder Co., but I have a grade 1 hammer 12 that letters to Shreve and Wolf in San Francisco in 1885.

Dave
Dave Purnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Bill,Thanks for the education on the index.What does it contain?

Pat,As Bill say's.. a tall order...but a very interesting thought.

Dave, Good to here from ya. How ya doing?
Unread 02-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
PML
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Pat, there is a 26 page index in the front of each 300 page order book. The index is alphabetical, but no mention is made of the location of each customer. You would have to read each of the 300 pages of orders to determine the state the order was placed from. Customers like Simmons Hardware, E.K. Tryon, Tufts Lyons, Iver Johnson, and Abercrombie and Fitch ordered pages of guns and sent them to individuals and dealers all over the country. These destinations are not mentioned. You have a tough job ahead of you.
Bill,
Thank you for information on order books. The index you describe sounds interesting. Perhaps the keepers of the books could scan the index from say.... Order book 44 and post it here or in the Parker pages as an example. Again, I think it would an interesting study to see where the guns went. I agree it would be a tall order as well.

I volunteer to be the Parker records research assistant. You can think of it as the Parker book of the month club. Each month the PGCA can send me a Parker Records book and I will catalog the index in a database and read the 300 pages in each book and catalog any information found on who ordered these guns. Once complete the database can be used by PGCA or published on this site.

thank you
Patrick
Unread 02-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
PML
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Purnell View Post
Patrick,

I can't help with US Powder Co., but I have a grade 1 hammer 12 that letters to Shreve and Wolf in San Francisco in 1885.

Dave
Dave,
Thank you for the reply, I have a few guns that were shipped to San Francisco in the 1890's. I think it must have been a interesting place at the time. I have DH that was shipped to the E. T. Allen in SF in 1898. Interesting that the salesman was S.A Tucker and not Dubray.

Patrick
Unread 02-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
PML
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Suponski View Post
Bill,Thanks for the education on the index.What does it contain?

Pat,As Bill say's.. a tall order...but a very interesting thought.

Dave, Good to here from ya. How ya doing?
Hi Dave,
I am doing well. Vegas was a great time this year, bought and sold some nice guns. You should come!! If you do, I will help you get that 16ga. hammer gun from the old man.

Pat
Unread 02-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,252 Posts

Jack Fanning (who was from CA) was the Representative for the U. S. Smokeless Powder Co., San Francisco at the 1897 GAH, but shot a Smith. Here's a "Gold Dust" image
http://www.la84foundation.org/Sports.../SL3114021.pdf
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!