Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Ryman setters in need of help!
Unread 02-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Default Ryman setters in need of help!

There are threads on the SSBB and also on Birddogs and Doubles about a fairly large number of setters that showed up in a Bucks Co., PA shelter. Apparently they came from a nearby large kennel (really not too hard to figure out which one). Not sure the back-story or reason why so many beautiful dogs ended up in a shelter, and at this point it does not really matter, but they are there and need to be placed. (Note: this is NOT a no-kill shelter so there is a chance that some of these dogs will be euthanized if not placed).

If anyone is interested in adopting a dog, or knows of anyone who might be interested, I would encourage you to take a look at the threads. It is extremely sad this has happened.

Thanks,

JDG
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Hi Jay,
Could you post a link to the threads concerning these dogs?
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Here you go: http://www.birddogsanddoubles.com/ta...ead.php?t=8713

I am VERY angry about this. I considered getting a pup from the kennel but am glad I stuck with Pinecoble. I certainly don't know about what happened before the dogs were picked up by state officials but even if the owners were forced by PA law to downsize their kennels there had to be better ways to handle the situation.

JDG

Last edited by Jay Gardner; 02-17-2010 at 01:55 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay Gardner For Your Post:
Unread 02-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

The new dog law in PA is very strict (an over reaction fueled by HSUS money to the "puppy mill" crisis, once again proving bad facts make bad law) and the owners may not have had a choice as the inspectors can act immediately-they just take the dogs. There have been some real horror stories on similar situations lately where the SPCA as agents for local government acted like facists without regard to basic due process. How the dogs ended up in Lahaska about 120 miles away from DeCoverly is a mystery to me. So, Jay, while you may in the end be correct until you get all the facts you may want to stow your indignation for a time...I always liked DeCoverly dogs but I was never that keen on somewhat pompous program and prices...my Ryman boy is from Setter Hills..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wilkes Point 1_resize.jpg (102.4 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Don Kaas; 02-17-2010 at 02:59 PM..
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
Bill Bolyard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Jay,

Thanks for the post on the plight of the poor Setters. I agree this could have been handled better,why did they not contact the English setter rescue? I have reread your post a couple times and am still confused, I can not find where you were self righteous or indignant, just worried about the welfare of the dogs. Just my take.

Bolyard

"Let me hasten to explain, ere the cat people bristle their back fur,that we have nothing against little kitties who stay by the fire and restrict their diet to canned salmon. Our members wouldn't dream of shooting a cat in the lap of an elderly lady sitting in a rocking chair in the front parlor, provided the window is closed".

Corey Ford
Bill Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kaas View Post
The new dog law in PA is very strict (an over reaction fueled by HSUS money to the "puppy mill" crisis, once again proving bad facts make bad law) and the owners may not have had a choice as the inspectors can act immediately-they just take the dogs. There have been some real horror stories on similar situations lately where the SPCA as agents for local government acted like fascists without regard to basic due process. How the dogs ended up in Lahaska about 120 miles away from DeCoverly is a mystery to me. So, Jay, while you may in the end be correct until you get all the facts you may want to stow your self righteous indignation for a time...I always liked DeCoverly dogs but I was never that keen on somewhat pompous program and prices...my Ryman boy is from Setter Hills..
Well Don, if I was in the business of selling cars and the state enacted a well-publicized law that said I could only have 100 cars on my lot and I knew I had 150. I would find a way to place those 50 cars before the state came knocking. I guess I would kind of expect to be on top of a law that would substantially effect the way I did business.

Sorry, but Recovery positioned themselves as the guardian of the Ryman name, splash advertisements in every high-end sporting mag in the industry, require applications and pre-purchase screening, then charge $1,500-$5,000 for their pups. This is their business and they should have been way out front of this one. But hell, what do I know.

By the way, I am not a fan of the HSUS, their politics, positions or practices, but there is a problem with puppy-mills, for just about any breed. I have never been to DeCoverly so I have never actually seen their operations so perhaps this is a case of unintended consequences. Regardless, it's just hard for me to come up with a rationale that results in so many of their dogs being sent to a shelter, especially when there were options, like setter rescue, available.
Unread 02-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bolyard View Post
Jay,

Thanks for the post on the plight of the poor Setters. I agree this could have been handled better,why did they not contact the English setter rescue? I have reread your post a couple times and am still confused, I can not find where you were self righteous or indignant, just worried about the welfare of the dogs. Just my take.

Bolyard
Thank you, Bill. I too, am a little confused. Perhaps Don can climb down from his lofty perch and explain to us the errors of my way.
Unread 02-17-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

My only concern was that all the facts were in before we castigated the new owners (who in fact may deserve castigation). When the dog police come unannounced and take your dogs-they take them then and there, alternatives might not be possible. I apologetically remove the 'self righteous" adjective, it was undeserved. We all feel sorry for 8 and 9 year old setter sent to the canine equivalent of the glue factory. You set very high standards. The world would be a better place if we could all live up to them.

Mr. Bolyard- Thomas Jefferson never said the quote about "big government". It was, in fact, Gerald Ford.
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Later, Jay. He's probably out peasant shooting now.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
Bill Bolyard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks Don,

I copied the quote from a Jefferson Site, I should have checked it out before I used it. I am not surprised it came from a fellow Michigander. Its time I changed the quote anyway, thanks again.

Mr. Bolyard

"Let me hasten to explain, ere the cat people bristle their back fur,that we have nothing against little kitties who stay by the fire and restrict their diet to canned salmon. Our members wouldn't dream of shooting a cat in the lap of an elderly lady sitting in a rocking chair in the front parlor, provided the window is closed".

Corey Ford

Last edited by Bill Bolyard; 02-17-2010 at 03:40 PM..
Bill Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote