Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 04-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #31
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

mills i learnt from a buddy he said deep frying a wild turkey was a bit more difficult to deep fry..said you had to not over cook it or it would be tuff...what do you do... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #32
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

Take an 18# jake; gut and skin it, put a stick of butter in the gut cavity, slip it into a plastic oven bag, and slow bake it till done. I forget the time and temp and you might want to season it to your taste.
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:04 AM   #33
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom tutwiler View Post
Fajita's baby. Marinade turkey strips in Fajita seasoning and then cook in a real hot cast iron skillet for just a few minutes. If you overcook them they will be tough. If you think they are done yank them out of the skillet right then. Then add a bit of oil to the pan and heat it up again real hot and throw in some sliced onions and sliced red peppers. Get those browned good and then yank them off the heat. Put everything in a warmed flour tortilla and throw in some homemade pico de gallo and some sour cream. Roll it up and eat away. You will think not much in the food world is better then this. PS. Wash it down with some good Mexican beer with a side dish of Charro beans.
Tom, could you post "Wild Turkey Fajitas" in the Recipes sub forum as well. I don't have any turkey but I'm going to give this a go with some pheasant. I think the cast iron skillet is one of the most versatile pans in a kitchen. My mouth is watering now, so I know what is happening for lunch tomorrow. Just have to pick up some wraps and find some Negra Modelo.

Thanks.
Jack
Unread 04-03-2013, 06:41 AM   #34
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Cronkhite View Post
Tom, could you post "Wild Turkey Fajitas" in the Recipes sub forum as well. I don't have any turkey but I'm going to give this a go with some pheasant. I think the cast iron skillet is one of the most versatile pans in a kitchen. My mouth is watering now, so I know what is happening for lunch tomorrow. Just have to pick up some wraps and find some Negra Modelo.

Thanks.
Jack
I'm blind. Where exactly is that forum and I'll post it there as well. Tom
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #35
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Tom, starting at the home page, click Discussion Forum on the left side. Scroll down to Hunting With Parkers and click. That opens up all the fun threads that we all enjoy reading. Look at the top of the page before all the fun hunting topics listed and you will see

Wild Game Recipes

Click on that and you can add a new thread - your Wild Turkey Fajitas.

This keeps all the recipes in one spot for ease of finding them and enjoying them from time to time.

Thanks again for these fajitas.

Cheers,
Jack
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #36
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,360 Times in 4,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
mills i learnt from a buddy he said deep frying a wild turkey was a bit more difficult to deep fry..said you had to not over cook it or it would be tuff...what do you do... charlie

We have a restaurant near my parents' that specializes in fried turkey and they will do it for you. I leave such things to experts.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #37
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

was up early again this morning walked outside and it had quit raining..it had warmed up during the night so decided not to wear rain gear...turned out i did not need it...i arrived at my hunting spot at 5.30 am got my decoys and chair and loaded the gun and took a pretty good walk 1/2 mile i guess to where i had last heard that old gobbler ...i found the perfect spot it was a little curve in the old road that runs by a little creek..i could see for 50 yards either way i set the decoys out and got in the middle of a black berry patch man what a good blind i had only trouble was i could not see the 50 yards any more..could only see about 20 yards but this was ok it was such a good blind...got the calls out a box call and the thumb operated one throwed out my best calls but no anwser did i get...stayed there till 6.30 all i seen was some wood ducks they seemed interested in the turkey calls...ha i left this good spot and returned to the truck but before i got to the truck i scared up to turkeys it always amazes me how fast these big birds can get into the air..they looked to be hens judgeing by the color of there feathers...and as i got to my truck and was putting up my gear them same to turkeys flew outa trees rite there at the truck...had to cut my dads yard is the reason i came out early but i goit it cut and back in the woods by 3.30...was a nice evening up in the 60 s not much wind.. set the decoys up and stayed till 7.00 no turkey seen or heard..will be there again in the morning that old turkeys in there some where.... charlie
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #38
hugh rather
PGCA Member

Member Info

Sounds like maybe the gobblers are with hens now;that will soon change when nesting increases.I know the gobblers are getting more aggressive,even seeing some in town in residential sections in the past week.Only problem is the maple leaves are the size of squirrel's ears,time to go crappie fishing[that and my neighbor that crappie fishes took his boat out today].Decisions.Good luck to you tomorrow.
hugh rather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #39
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,360 Times in 4,428 Posts

Harry and I were out today and saw nothing. He is learning how to sit still and be quiet which is progress
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #40
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

this getting up early every morning is telling on me..was up at2.30 this morning could not sleep...cooked me some bacon and eggs and a coupla biscuits and washed it down with some strong coffee and now i m ready to go except it wont be daylight for a coupla hours yet...loaded up my gear in the truck and just finally got tired of waiting and drove too hunting site.. i drove up a old log road till a fallen tree was in the way...got my gear and gun and checked to see if i had my shells and gun yep ok... went a about 3 hundred yards and fpond a place to set up decoys...as i was putting out the decoys i heard a gobbler but he was to far and he only gobbled twice...then another turkey cut loose gobbling sounded like he was about a 1/2 mile this turkey was gobbling good..i made a few loud yelps to him and he responded every yelp.the turkey was a coming to me i got ready checked my face mask looked around to see if any obstructions were around in sight path ...as this turkey kept coming gobbling a turkey gobbled behind me about 3 hundred yards to the back of me about this time crows had spotted this gobbler behind me boy every crow around was giving this old turkey a fit..the gobbler that had been coming to me must not have liked all that racket for he shut up and i heard him no more... that turkey the crows were after had gone further away from me. i should have took off after that turkey while the crows were after him good...but i did not finally the crows got tired of harrassing that old bird...them crows flew rite over the top of me and i raised my gun thinking..no did not shoot for about that time another turkey gave a half gobble about a hundred yards from me...well were he went is anybodys guess... about mid morning i went to the house..as i drove i thought was a real good morning hunt heard 4 differant gobblers and a good crow fight...well went home and cut the daughters lawn got back to the house and ate..told the wife i was tired thought i would rest a spell before going back hunting i looked at the clock it was 1.30pm decided just to set in the recliner for a hour well that hour turned into a few hours when i woke up it was 5.30... so moral of storey either dont set in recliner or else set the alarm clock..ha well gonna get ready to see if i can find that gobbler that was gobbling so much this morning in the morn... charlie
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post: