Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Another new member with a question or two...
Unread 02-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
Don Reed
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Another new member with a question or two...

Hi. My name is Don Reed, and I've just become a Parker owner, and a new member here. I just recently acquired a Parker in 16 ga., ser. no. 216374. It's a VH. Decent condition, with a trace or two of case color. Wood is good, and barrels are dent-free, rust free, and mirror bright inside. I know good pictures are invaluable here, but until I learn better how to post them, words will have to do for now.
My questions are.....the barrels measure 28", and the chokes measure .636 and .652, to the best of my ability with calipers. Do the barrels seem to be of original length?
Question #2....Is the chamber length 2 3/4" in this gun?
Thanks for taking the time to help.... Don.
Don Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,925 Times in 870 Posts

The "Parker Gun Identification & Serialization" book has your gun listed as having 28 inch barrels.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,941 Times in 12,567 Posts

Check the chamber length with a proper chamber depth gauge. Most likely in a Parker of that vintage, around mid-1920's, the chamber length would have been 2 9/16" or 2 5/8" and will take 2 3/4" shells but you won't be doing the gun any favors by using heavy game or target loads.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
Don Reed
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Check the chamber length with a proper chamber depth gauge. Most likely in a Parker of that vintage, around mid-1920's, the chamber length would have been 2 9/16" or 2 5/8" and will take 2 3/4" shells but you won't be doing the gun any favors by using heavy game or target loads.
........OK. That answers a couple of questions.... Now..if I want to hunt with this gun, what would be my best alternative.. Lengthen chambers if not 2 3/4', or try and find the proper length shells? Does anyone make 16 ga. shells anymore at less than 2 3/4"? Thanks...Don.
Unread 02-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

RST makes 2 1/2 inch shells
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
Don Reed
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Masciarella View Post
RST makes 2 1/2 inch shells

......I'm unfamiliar with the RST name. Where do I go to find out about them, and their availability? And as to the lengthening of the chambers, is it a viable option? It would be an internal change, and would it devalue the gun?
......Thanks, Robin, Dean and Ray... Very informative. Don.

Last edited by Don Reed; 02-14-2010 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: Misspelled my own name!!
Unread 02-14-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

rstshells.com. I'd leave it at 2 1/2 cause it's original and I don't think it makes much difference. I hunted pheasant with 2 1/2 this pass weekend. Then I used 2 3/4 in my Beretta Guibileo. Still can't shoot worth a darn!

Not sure if it would devalue the gun if you bored to 2 3/4.
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Masciarella For Your Post:
Unread 02-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,386 Times in 661 Posts

This past season, for the first time in 50 years of hunting, I used 2 1/2 inch #6 shells, having purchased a VH with 2 9/16 chambers. I decided to not play with the chambers. Managed to shoot my wild roosters and not notice anything different. When bird and shot met, they were in the bag and very dead. When bird and shot didn't meet, they carried on the same as when that happens with 2 3/4 inch shells.

On one rooster, I missed with the first barrel, so it was getting out there a bit when I connected with the second shot around the 40+ yard mark. Again, very dead. The added bonus, it was my best rooster ever - 36 bars/22" with 5/8" razor spurs.

So, if you are a "purist", the 2 1/2 shells will do the trick as well as your 2 3/4's.
Unread 02-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,941 Times in 12,567 Posts

Lengthening chambers will devalue a collector condition Parker but there are some who believe for a shooter condition it won't matter much. If it were mine I would leave the chambers alone. Parker Bros. advertised the fact that they cut the chambers 1/8" short to provide for a better gas seal and in more recent times Sherman Bell and others have proven that such chambers only elevate the chamber pressure by 100 p.s.i. or so.
Again, if your chambers are 2 9/16" or 2 5/8" in length you are quite OK to shoot 2 3/4" ammo but don't shoot the heavy stuff. If your chambers are 2 1/2" you need to stick with 2 1/2" ammo.

Before you do anything else get a chamber depth gauge. Galazan's sells a very reliable one for a very fair price.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #10
Don Reed
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Lengthening chambers will devalue a collector condition Parker but there are some who believe for a shooter condition it won't matter much. If it were mine I would leave the chambers alone. Parker Bros. advertised the fact that they cut the chambers 1/8" short to provide for a better gas seal and in more recent times Sherman Bell and others have proven that such chambers only elevate the chamber pressure by 100 p.s.i. or so.
Again, if your chambers are 2 9/16" or 2 5/8" in length you are quite OK to shoot 2 3/4" ammo but don't shoot the heavy stuff. If your chambers are 2 1/2" you need to stick with 2 1/2" ammo.

Before you do anything else get a chamber depth gauge. Galazan's sells a very reliable one for a very fair price.
....Wow. Only had the gun about a week, and been on here a day or two, and have already picked up a ton of info. Given the previous info, I think I'm going to leave it as is, and go with the shorter shells.
....Thanks to all for your help, and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.
Don.