Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

New member questions
Unread 02-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
RICHIE THAMES
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New member questions

Hello everyone . I'm new member and i do do collect guns as a hobby. I do not presently own a parker brothers , but have the chance to purchase one. I got a chance to look at it today and the gun is in great shape . I was wondering if i get the serial # of the gun if anyone could tell me of a fair market value . I love the gun and the person selling the gun says its a 1892 model . The serial # is 71036 with a 2 over the serial # and a G under the serial #. A 2 is on the button and has an engraved lab on the stock. damascus steel. Really guys sorry for jumping and asking for price on things. This gun is beautiful and i know has a chance to be pricey. I just don't won't to pay more than it's worth.He really wants me to make an offer and i want a great deal , but i don't want to make an really bad offer and offend the person . This gun is beautiful and in great shape. Thanks for any help at all in advance. These are beautiful guns and so full of history . I think i'm hooked without owning one yet. But hopefully i will be soon. Thanks Richie
RICHIE THAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Any chance you can post a few pictures of it? Pretty hard to help you without seeing at least that. The 1892 date is correct. Someone will look the S/N up in the book and tell you what grade it is and such and hopefully how it was configured when it left the factory if records are available. Sounds like a G grade. Tell us more about the condition of the barrels inside and out and of the metal condition. The lab? Is it on the buttplate? What gauge is it? Tell us of the wood finish and of any cracks or chips. It could be worth anywhere from $300 to $3500 depending upon condition and gauge.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,941 Times in 12,567 Posts

Don't worry about offending the seller. That seems to be a very interactive part of this collecting game. The seller's opinion of the value of a gun he is selling is invariably higher than the perceived value a prospective buyer will assign to the gun.
Pictures are a must and the pictures should be high resolution and many. We all make mistakes early on when accumulating Parkers but that's what we're here for - to try to advise you and help prevent you from making the mistakes we have made.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
RICHIE THAMES
Forum Associate

Member Info

He has it listed as a 12 gauge and the barrels are clean and the metal condition is great. No dents. The lab is on the buttplate . He is going to put it in an auction . If i can get the right price he's willing to sell to me out right. But i don't know where to begin with a gun of this age. Thanks for getting back so fast
Unread 02-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #6
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,386 Times in 661 Posts

A Parker is a nice gun.

If my eyes don't fool me:

Left barrel has a dent
Many screw heads are damaged and out of registration (indicates dismantling/reassembly without proper tools at some time)
Trigger guard has a dent on edge
Rust patches on the damascus pattern

Those issues are price negotiating points. Others may see more.

Likely a well used gun, which is what they are meant for. Other negotiating points would be:

when looking inside the barrels, are they bright shiny or rust pitted
is the action tight or can you feel/sense movement when twisting/pulling the assembled gun
when closed, does the top lever rest to the right of center, center or left of center. The further it rests to the left is indicative of internal wear
Any splits or cracks in the wood?

I'm not great at guessing at a price but from just those pictures I would be thinking in the hundreds, not the thousands

Take a look at gun pictures on the home page tab "Parker Grades" to see good examples of the gun you are looking at so you know how they can be.
Hope you get a decent deal
Unread 02-12-2010, 01:43 AM   #7
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Looks pretty used to me. As Jack said, corrosion on the bbls and a dent, old removed corrosion on the tables, bbls flats and receiver. Screws are not good. Plenty of light pitting. Engraving and corners pretty worn, as is buttplate. If I had to guess, I can't imagine it's worth even $500. If it's loose on face, maybe less. Barrels might clean up ok but the receiver is too pitted to clean up well.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2010, 05:59 AM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,941 Times in 12,567 Posts

I would pass on that one and if you really want a Parker just keep looking. There are many more much better Parkers for sale and at auction out there on the net for very reasonable prices. In my opinion that one is a money pit.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #9
RICHIE THAMES
Forum Associate

Member Info

Guys , Thank you so much for the input ! It is always great to talk to people who have a vast knowledge on something i love . I love collecting and shooting and this might be little more than i want to take on. I will keep my eyes open and see what i can find out there in better shape. They are beautiful guns . The detail is amazing .
I won't make him an offer . I'll go to the auction and see what it goes for and who knows if it doesn't sell maybe i can get it for a real bargin and keep it as a piece of history. While i search for something in better condition.
Thank you all for your help and i will definately keep you all posted on the hunt and will let you know about what it goes for at the auction.
RICHIE
Unread 02-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

RICHIE: That Parker SN 71036 is listed in "THE BOOK" as a D2 or G Grade Hammerless Damascus 12 gauge gun with 30 inch barrels & a capped pistol grip stock. I don't think that I would pay more than $400 for it unless it is extremely good condition. How do the bores look?

Best Regards, George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote