Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

crow call or deer call
Unread 08-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default crow call or deer call

just got back from trying to scare a few crows off the dove field them rascals have about took over....well i grabbed the old double 12 ga and a few shells and my 2 best crow calls....got to the field and found me a good set up i loaded the gun and then begun calling...the crows werestarting to come in and i hear something walking in the leaves toward me.. my first thought it was my old blue tick hound had followed me...i was really blowing the calls and the sound was still coming i turned and looked it was a great big doe deer she seemed really interested in the crow call...crows were circleing deers standing 15 foot away i was getting to interested in the deer so i stopped calling and focussed on the crows i scared 3 of them to death...rest of crows left...deer just kept standing there blowing at me even after i had shot 3 times... she finally went away ive never had a deer that could see me and me moving and shooting to stay in the same spot she was there for at least 1 minute....guess ive got a better deer call than a crow call...this makes several times that deer have come up to check out my crow calling...maybe ill take my crow calls this year instead of my rattling horns and grunt calls when deer season comes around.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
10ga Hammer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Sometimes a crow call sounds a lot like a fawn crying. I've had a doe come in running with hackels up looking for a fight, as I was calling.
"Double guns are a sport and a pastime built into a beautiful package to which I attach myself when entering the great theater of autumn, those days now grow more precious because we are given so few".. Robin Lacy
Robert Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
Holeshot
PGCA Member

Member Info

Charlie, that crow call sound is very close to a fawn distress call. The does are coming to protect thier young. It only works when fawns are small. Be careful, them does are coming to protect thier babys, if they confuse you for a predator you are in trouble. Dave
David Holes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,335 Times in 12,401 Posts

I think deer are just naturally curious. In May when I was turkey hunting in Vermont I was laying out a series of yelps with my diaphragm call in a pretty little secluded glade and a group of five deer walked right up to me. The closest was about thirty feet away and the most distant one was maybe twenty-five yards. They just stood there watching but couldn't make out what I was. I wasn't moving at all... just yelping and putting. The big doe closest to me kept stamping her forefoot trying to get me to move and reveal myself.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,707 Times in 877 Posts

Charlie,

I agree with Dean. Most people do not believe it, and few will even try it, but as a deer hunter far up in the tree I have called in lots of deer by using a turkey call all day long. I just purr and softly give the hen cluck. Deer know that turkeys are the best set of eyes they could ever have and like to come to areas where a gang of turkeys is happily feeding. Probably as much out of curiosity also, to see what is going on. I imagine they also like the fact that the turkeys have torn up the leaves exposing acorns.

Of course it calls in turkeys but I never shoot at them in the fall anymore as I save all tags for gobblers in the spring.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

fellows i guess every body got a good point here...come fall im gona stick a crow call and a turkey call in my bag... i bet there was 200 crows wanting to light on the dove field today we were working on it so kept them out...ill be gone in the morning guess them devils will have it there way... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,572 Times in 1,103 Posts

I don't believe anyone is wrong in their opinions of Deer on this thread ,they come to many different calling techniques ,when I was around 11 years old ,my Dad bought his Old Home Place here in Pa. ,he would plow in the morning before heading off to his Mill job and when I got in from school ,he would have the harrows attached to the other tractor and I would Harrow , It was very common after circling the fields to watch small Family groups of Deer or single Deer come out one by one to the edge of the field then turn and walk back into the woods ! It seemed they were just checking up on us to see what we were up to ! My Dad always claimed they got to know each and every one of us and spent more time watching us just on the inside of the woods edge than we would imagine ! That old Allis Chalmers made a great call ,I just can't figure out how to get it up in the stand with me Best ; Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote