Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

no buck yet
Unread 11-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

Default no buck yet

went hunting squirls this morning with dog . treed 2 and got one of them...changed guns and went to a food plot...did not see anything stayed till dark..got busted by some does i guess going back to truck...think ill go back to hunting woods the deer are still eating acorns..hope yall are seeing some deer with horns..by the way my old gun was a german drilling 16x16 x7x57 r and scoped...dont really like the looks of the scope but its dead on... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,239 Times in 3,278 Posts

it will come

my son offered me his stand for opening day, to both hunt and to have some one there to turn away the tresspassers on opening day. He was going back to my old stompin' grounds where he could use my rifle.

I am just not a big deer hunter and passed - so he let his neighbor hunt the spot. the guy AND his kid both got six pointers. and also ejector a squater - he let the guy get his climbing stand all ready to go before he told him it was posted. the fool of course claimed he had permission but gave the wrong name. he was told to check the name on the posted signs he snuck past.

My son did get a deer back home but not until he remembered my rule about hanging on to the ultralight '06. If you don't hold onto the foreend -it jumps, I missed a very large Sitka in Scotland after a long stalk because I forgot. My son missed a give-me shot -- twice - before he remembered and the deer was fool enough to stand there figuring out what was going on - his third shot dropped it in its track.
Unread 11-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Steve Kleist
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi Charlie.
I enjoy your posts.
On the northern Minnesota deer opener this year, I went along duck hunting with my two grown sons. As an extra gun I had my 28 ga Parker and two (only two) 28 ga paper slugs given to me by a friend. Rather than hunt ducks with them for the first hour I hiked in about a mile and stood in my orange parka and my two slugs. I thought "wouldn't that be a story to shoot a nice buck with a small gauge Parker?" ....Well, after about an hour on the stand, a big 10 pointer with a big wide rack walked out along a deer run at about 30 yards. I had only one quick chance for a shot. In a hurry, I reached for the 28 leaning against an aspen tree and must have made some noise. The buck detected me before I was ready and angled off through a grassy winter logging road. My only shot would have been a rump or gut shot. One mile in and only two chances, I opted not to shoot, and then, as they say in the UP of Michigan, "There he was.......gone."
I think I did the right thing not to shoot. As an old timer, I have had plenty of outdoor opportunities in my life. Besides, today's screw ups are tomorrow's campfire stories..."and I'm sticking to it."
Best Fishes,
Steve Kleist Ely, MN

Last edited by Steve Kleist; 11-20-2012 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: typho
Steve Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

steve that was a good storey...would nt that been something to take a deer with a 28 ga slug and in a parker....ballistic products just sent me a catologue and they have the makings for 28 ga slugs and 410 ga slugs...this would give you some more ammo if needed...ive only got to see the 28 ga slugs twice in my lifemake that 3 times..my dad had 2 full boxes of 28 ga slugs they were remington brand..2nd box was on the internet auction they were remington slugs ..third one was a single ball load that destrey hoffard let me have...i hope you keep trying to get a deer with the 28 ga that should make the parker pages heck it will make a good storey any way... im gonna be like you boys keep trying... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,053 Times in 1,179 Posts

Steve,

If you want some more 28 gauge slugs I will see a fella that has some over the Thanksgiving weekend. I don't remember what he was asking for them but they weren't too expensive. Paper shells of course, in good shape as I recall.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
Steve Kleist
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destry L. Hoffard View Post
Steve,

If you want some more 28 gauge slugs I will see a fella that has some over the Thanksgiving weekend. I don't remember what he was asking for them but they weren't too expensive. Paper shells of course, in good shape as I recall.

Destry
Destry,
Thank you for the offer. Actually, a buck with having only a couple shots from a small gauge two holer, especially a Parker, would be quite a story....if we could pull it off. In our neck of the woods, one considers themself pretty fortunate if they see an antlered buck in our 16 day season. There are some pretty nice deer around, just not many of them. If the 28 ga slug opportunity comes up, you decide and we can communicate via PMs to reimburse you.
You might be part of the story....
Best Fishes, Steve
Steve Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Bob Jurewicz
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,072 Times in 584 Posts

Destry,
I like to carry slugs when quail hunting is Texas in the event of "PIG".
I would like some old 28's.
Please ask and let me know!
Thank you!!!
Bob Jurewicz
Bob Jurewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,053 Times in 1,179 Posts

I'll just see if he'll make me a price on the pile and try to save you boys some money. The problem is shipping, they've go to go UPS and it's not cheap.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,107 Posts

Good Morning Charlie ,I hope that Old Buck is sneaking into those Oaks this morning and you are sitting there with your Drilling ready to go ! We had a Good 18 In. Buck here on our property and I gave him the opportunity the entire season to be taken by me ,he just wouldn't cooperate ! I passed up at least nine legal Bucks and on the next to last day of our Archery Season ,I Rattled and Grunt this one in and he gave me a 12 Yard shot ,I just couldn't pass on him that close to the end of the Archery Season with a shot like that ! Good Luck on your Deer Hunting ,keep us posted ! Russ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sarah Tric or Treat ,Cats sleeping ,Buck 2012 708.JPG (367.7 KB, 1 views)
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 11-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,107 Posts

If you look close ,I was up in a tree quite a ways and I shot him through the Lungs on his left side " Side on the ground " and you can see where the arrow exited in front of his right Flank
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote