Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Unread 03-20-2022, 04:11 PM   #11
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,669 Times in 2,629 Posts

Our first bird dog was Deacon Blue (yes, named after the Steely Dan tune). He taught us about hunting birds. Pheasant, chukar, grouse, mudbat, he would find them all. He never retrieved until we hunted him with Ghillie the first time. First bird went out and a buddy dropped it. Ghillie picked it up and began his retrieve. Deacon took the bird from him and brought it to hand! From that bird on, if he got to the bird first he retrieved it. He didn't take birds from other dog's retrieves either. Got him as an eight or nine week old pup. Ken Alexander picked him him out from one of his Decoverly litters. Ken also did the training sessions with us. Deacon was our longest lived dog making it to 10 1/2 years. I miss him terribly. He'll always be my boy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deacon on Point.jpg (186.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Deacon on the quad!!.jpg (113.2 KB, 2 views)
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 03-20-2022, 07:43 PM   #12
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

TAZ has been gone for about 15 years. 90 pound male GSP. A great hunting partner and home guard dog. Wife insisted we install security system after he departed.
Unread 03-21-2022, 07:51 AM   #13
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
Our first bird dog was Deacon Blue (yes, named after the Steely Dan tune). He taught us about hunting birds. Pheasant, chukar, grouse, mudbat, he would find them all. He never retrieved until we hunted him with Ghillie the first time. First bird went out and a buddy dropped it. Ghillie picked it up and began his retrieve. Deacon took the bird from him and brought it to hand! From that bird on, if he got to the bird first he retrieved it. He didn't take birds from other dog's retrieves either. Got him as an eight or nine week old pup. Ken Alexander picked him him out from one of his Decoverly litters. Ken also did the training sessions with us. Deacon was our longest lived dog making it to 10 1/2 years. I miss him terribly. He'll always be my boy.
Gosh what a pretty head...on the dog, not the guy.

Mike, you definitely have had a string of beautiful setters.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2022, 02:21 PM   #14
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

An interesting thread. This is my first dog. Her name was Brenna and we found her at the pound. I knew nothing about upland hunting at the time. The pound called her a doberman mix, but my wife insisted it was a Gordon Setter. She was probably 4 months old when we got her. We had no training and just hunted together. She was ok as a bird dog, but was great as a family dog. She traveled with us from CO to CA to Ok to VA. She hunted in CO, KS, OK, ND, and PA. This pic is one of our better days in the OK panhandle when birds were easy to find. Hunted Pheasant, Bobs, Blue (scaled), Valley and Mountain quail with her.

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2022, 05:32 PM   #15
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Dug around a bit for some old pics. Here’s TAZ on the hunt. Always fun to watch. Not too many GSPs with tail intact. He was a rescue. Folks who had him could not manage the boundless energy. Took me a while but eventually we were a team.

Another pic found
Unread 04-09-2022, 07:21 PM   #16
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

My first bird dog, Prairie Sage, was a fireball. She was from horseback trial breeding and was a covey dog extraordinaire. She was a willful dog, and would nip me after a retrieve just to say, "I'm doing this on my terms." She hated to back another dog and would hide behind a bush when her bracemate went on point. She could find birds and placed in field trials against white dogs, much to the chagrin of their handlers. She was a great bird dog and found lots of birds in her day, especially quail. I could keep up with her back then. Oh, to be young again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 342514625.jpeg (176.8 KB, 2 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 04-09-2022, 09:37 PM   #17
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,009 Times in 457 Posts

My first Springer Belle. She was an incredibly classy bitch and a stone cold killer in the field. Our family hunted rabbits with beagles when I was growing because the pheasant population in NW OHIO had largely disappeared by mid 60’s when I started hunting. Belle and I made about 10-12 trips to South Dakota from about 2000 to 2010. She was an amazing pheasant dog and we won many tournament hunting trials over the years. This picture was after a big group had a great day near Plankington, SD. I’ve had great dogs since, and still do but I sure miss that old girl. [/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6C78FC1D-41A1-4838-98B1-24F329CC09E7.jpg (554.4 KB, 2 views)
Dan Steingraber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dan Steingraber For Your Post:
Unread 04-09-2022, 09:53 PM   #18
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

Did you get into AKC Field trials? I gunned a number of trials in Ohio. If so, I may have shot over your dog. Hope I did her proud
Unread 04-09-2022, 10:15 PM   #19
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

We never ran any AKC trials. We started by running judged trials called "Hunter Trials" with an organization of clubs predominantly SW of Cleveland then moved on to the larger organizations like the BDC and UFTA. I got my Springers from a fellow named Karlovek near Columbia Station, OH. I think he's still breeding and running dogs in the AKC.
Unread 04-09-2022, 10:22 PM   #20
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Wow, That's a LOT of grouse.