Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Unread 08-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #11
Battue
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hard times with a best friend....

Prayers from here....
Unread 08-30-2020, 07:34 PM   #12
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

Bad news. Hoping for the best . . .
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 09-01-2020, 12:22 AM   #13
Zacharysmith
PGCA Member

Member Info

Tim, Piper doesn't look particularly old. Age?
I have lived through exactly what you are going through with my first GSP. She had lympangiosarcoma. Very rare in dogs and agressive. She was 2 1/2 when she got it and made it to 5 years and 5 months after surgeries and 5 rounds of chemo. Chemo is tough. After all my research I found that chemo in dogs is given as much lover levels then say humans. Its more to prolong life then rid them of the cancer. The 1950's chemical that mine received was one of the first drugs given to humans. I found that very discouraging that technology could not keep up with our best friend. The best advice I was given I will share to you now from my local vet. Prednisone! A cheap anti-inflammatory that I believe gave my girl a couple more years with me. She took 10mg daily for 2 1/2 years. At $5 a month it kept the cancer from spreading very very slow. My girl was put down after she blew up her shoulder running to me in the woods. The cancer most likely spread to her bones per x rays. I wish you both the best!
Zacharysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zacharysmith For Your Post:
Unread 09-01-2020, 12:39 AM   #14
Timothy Salgado
PGCA Member

Member Info

Zach,
Piper just turned nine in July, I’ve always fed her a fish based diet, I’ve had her on anti inflammatory supplements for the past two years due to bad environmental allergies that wreaked havoc on her skin causing infections and hair loss overall malaise last summer . My vet had us add extra good fats, and turmeric to her diet and advised Claritin and also prescribed Apoquel for the allergies. Unfortunately the oncologist advised that Apoquel will accelerate tumor growth. I know the extra good fats and turmeric helped with the inflammation and she didn’t have severe allergies this year , maybe that’s why the cancer remained localized and hadn’t spread. Thanks for the information, she starts her treatment tomorrow, we’ll hope for the best.
Take Care
Tim
Timothy Salgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #15
William Woods
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Best wishes for you and your canine companion.
William Woods is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Woods For Your Post:
** Update*
Unread 11-12-2020, 04:05 PM   #16
Timothy Salgado
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default ** Update*

I just wanted to update everyone with the information that Piper had her last chemo treatment on November 4, 2020. At the time of her third treatment on October 14th, the vet oncologist took X-rays of her chest and it was all clear with no cancer spread and the bloodwork was all good. We go back in six weeks for another X-ray and bloodwork and if all is clear a follow-up in 4 months, then out to a year if no problems. Throughout the chemo treatments Piper did well with minimal side effects. Thanks to all those concerned. I wanted to post some hunting photos and figured an update would be in order too.
Thanks again
Tim.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Timothy Salgado For Your Post:
Unread 11-12-2020, 08:15 PM   #17
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Salgado View Post
I just wanted to update everyone with the information that Piper had her last chemo treatment on November 4, 2020. At the time of her third treatment on October 14th, the vet oncologist took X-rays of her chest and it was all clear with no cancer spread and the bloodwork was all good. We go back in six weeks for another X-ray and bloodwork and if all is clear a follow-up in 4 months, then out to a year if no problems. Throughout the chemo treatments Piper did well with minimal side effects. Thanks to all those concerned. I wanted to post some hunting photos and figured an update would be in order too.
Thanks again
Tim.
Tim, I hope you continue to get good check-ups for Piper. My best to you both.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 11-12-2020, 08:29 PM   #18
Timothy Salgado
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks Garry,
The vets told us that once she’s past the side effects , which usually hit around day four after the treatment for a few days, she could do her normal activities. I’ve had her out for the duck hunt and a few pheasant hunts that I limit to 2hrs with frequent breaks and the easy areas. She’s done well , finding pheasants every time. It’s clear getting out in the field lifts her spirits.
Unread 11-12-2020, 08:45 PM   #19
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,380 Posts

Great news. Please give Piper a scratch behind the ear for me and enjoy every minute in the field hunting together.
Unread 11-12-2020, 08:46 PM   #20
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Salgado View Post
Thanks Garry,
The vets told us that once she’s past the side effects , which usually hit around day four after the treatment for a few days, she could do her normal activities. I’ve had her out for the duck hunt and a few pheasant hunts that I limit to 2hrs with frequent breaks and the easy areas. She’s done well , finding pheasants every time. It’s clear getting out in the field lifts her spirits.
Tim, I'm so glad that you are able to hunt with Piper. We lost two of our Gordons this past year to cancer, so I know some of what you are going through. I'm hoping all the best for you and your hunting buddy.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: