Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Safely Shipping a Parker
Unread 08-01-2022, 08:34 AM   #1
Jim Kremmel
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Safely Shipping a Parker

I’m needing to ship a Parker to a fellow members FFL, and am considering buying a Plano pillar lock hard case. Can anyone recommend this or another case, or provide other suggestions on how to ship safely? I’ve previously wrapped the barrels and buttstock separately in bubble wrap, and used an oversized box with foam peanuts, but I’d like to know what others do. My apologies if I missed a sticky on this, thanks.
Jim Kremmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2022, 08:55 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

I build my own using 2”x3” lumber and 1/4” luan with dividers to seperate barrels ftom the back half of the gun. Never had a problem yet except when Canadian customs didn’t want to take the time to remove the screws to see what was inside.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-01-2022, 08:58 AM   #3
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

I mainly use a 36x6x6 heavy duty corrugated box. I wrap the barrels/fore end in paper, then bubble wrap. Lots of bubble wrap! Same with buttstock. So far this has worked fine for me. Most dealers ship in corrugated boxes of one type or the other. I did have a member here once ship a gun to me in a wooden crate. I have also received guns shipped inside a LOM case, inside a corrugated box.
Unread 08-01-2022, 09:24 AM   #4
Jeff Higgins
PGCA Member

Member Info

All I can add is get ready for a shock if you have not shipped anything recently. The rates have gone up quite a bit.
Jeff Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Higgins For Your Post:
Unread 08-01-2022, 10:06 AM   #5
Jim Kremmel
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thoughts? Cameron Packaging in Ohio has several options.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33C1CCF8-8E9F-4994-BFE4-A36EF62C80F8.jpg (507.3 KB, 32 views)
Jim Kremmel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim Kremmel For Your Post:
Unread 08-01-2022, 11:15 AM   #6
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,236 Times in 1,200 Posts

Here's a story on a gun shipment. I bought a higher end restocked/vintage SxS from a fella in TX. He packed it well in mucho bubble wrap and with cardboard between the pieces. Cardboard outer box. Gun arrived as per the tracking date and with UPS packing tape on both ends and just a slight tear in the box. I opened the one end and took out the barrels and forend, unwrapped them and checked the bores, ringing etc. Good. Then I looked in the bottom of the box for the back end of the gun. Not there. What!!! So I called the gent in TX and asked if he forgot to pack the back end. Nope, he said it was in the box when it left TX and of course he was somewhat skeptical until I asked him (seller) to file a claim with UPS and also report to the BATF that the serial-numbered frame end was apparently stolen enroute, and the box was then resealed with UPS tape. At that point the "gun" was still legally his because its serialed frame hadn't been received nor entered in my record book.

Next day I got a call from an UPS security agent and gave him details of the gun and emailed pics of the box and the gent's original sale pics. Two days later he called me to relate he found the back end of the gun in UPS's facility where they keep items that fall out of boxes that aren't well sealed. The agent had it sent to me by Next Day Air and when it arrived it was still wrapped in the original bubble wrap except for a small section removed so that UPS personnel could identify what the item was. There were a few small dings in the stock but no damage to the frame. As best we conjectured the box caught on a conveyor which caused it to fall and the original UPS tape to tear, and the back end fell out but wasn't noticed under the conveyor. The conveyor operator then apparently resealed the box which was still heavy with the barrels and forend, using more UPS tape. In sum, the seller gent in TX then had to backtrack with the BATF to cancel the stolen gun report, and a later police check verified it wasn't on the then current list of stolen guns. I had a good stock man do a quote for refinishing (it was a custom English walnut stock) and UPS settled up for that $ number. Lots of consternation and rework by all involved.

Long story short ..... be sure to pack well and double seal the ends with something like filament tape if using a cardboard box.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 08-01-2022, 11:21 AM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Frank, These kinds of horror stories are what have made me decide NEVER to use corrugated when shipping guns. If my sturdy and well made wooden boxes are destroyed or opened in any way it will have been intentional.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-01-2022, 12:12 PM   #8
Keavin Nelson
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,233 Times in 440 Posts

Frank's comment on using the heavy duty filament tape is spot on.
Unread 08-01-2022, 01:14 PM   #9
randallro
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by keavin nelson View Post
Frank's comment on using the heavy duty filament tape is spot on.

on cardboard i use black gorilla tape. never a problem and easy to see tampering/
randall rosenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to randall rosenthal For Your Post:
Unread 08-01-2022, 01:21 PM   #10
randallro
PGCA Member

Member Info

i build custom crates and pack cardboard boxes to ship somewhat fragile artwork all over the world. shotguns seems like a fairly easy thing to get right. no need to go anywhere near the lengths i go to. what i would add is you can purchase one time insurance for fairly reasonable amounts. UPS tracking and the like works great when everything goes right. when it doesn't they don't have a clue. the one time they lost something it took 6 weeks to resolve and it was sitting 15 minutes from the recipient. and never trust the stick on label...put all the info on the box too.
randall rosenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to randall rosenthal For Your Post: