Notices

Iver Johnson Revolver Ad
Unread 09-21-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Default Iver Johnson Revolver Ad

This came in an email entitled "We will never see ads like these again" What era is this, when $6 got you a new pistol?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image003.jpg (115.2 KB, 9 views)
Unread 09-21-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

I received that e-mail too. I don't know when Iver - Johnson started manufacturing firearms (they made bicycles first) but I would guess the ad is from the early twenties.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Possibly pre-WW1 ad Jack
Unread 09-22-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Possibly pre-WW1 ad Jack

Iver Johnson of Fitchburg, Mass had three production eras for their "Safety automatic" revolvers- both external hammers and also "hammerless"- shrouded hammers-

Those of us who collect and shoot sidearms, even w/o military experience with same, call revolvers "wheelguns" and not "automatics- such as the great Colt 1911-A-1 in .45 ACP designed by John M. browning. Iver Johnson revolvers ejected the shells (both fired and unfired) when the gun, a top breaking action, was opened. Hence 'automatic" as with a DHE- automatic ejectors, exception noted for the extraction of unfired shells with an ejector side-by-side shotgun.

The Safety was an interceptor bar- a transfer bar design. We all know (sadly enough) that safety and firearms mixed with young children (either boy or girl) is a serious misnomer.

Whoever designed that ad must have been a bachelor- what was the idea-? A "Boogey man" invades the little gal's bedroom (possibly a fan of the Jenny Lind styled bedframe) and she defeats the safety with her pudgy little fingers and blows a hole in Daddy's belly- as he was only going in to check on her? What nonsense.

Iver Johnson series revolvers- mainly .22 and .32 cal. and some of the later series in .38 S&W were made from aprox 1895-to 1941, three different post latching systems, basically the same firearm in function- I agree with Dean, WW1 to mid-1920's era ad--

I love the older second series Colt SA revolvers (as did Gen. Patton) but I would love to own and shoot a S&W Triple Lock in .44 cal. someday. My "House Gun"- there are NO children or grandchildren in my home on a day-to-day basic (and when there are, the Python is securely stashed away) is a revolver- either .38 Special or Full house .357- as no springs are under tension until you cock it (or fire it double actioned)- but I grew up shooting my Dad's collection of Colt SA's- so I favor wheelguns, as a also favor M12 pumps over autoloaders-

Iver Johnson revolvers were used in the assassination of both Pres. McKinley and Senator Bobby Kennedy-
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post:
Unread 09-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Thanks for the history lesson Francis.

Cheers,
Jack
Unread 10-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
David Hamilton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Francis, You forgot to tell us about the "Cycle Works" at Iver Johnson? David
David Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
You mean the "Bikes" Iver Johnson also made?
Unread 10-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default You mean the "Bikes" Iver Johnson also made?

A farmer friend has a three seater- from about the 1920's- but no trade mark, wonder if IJ made those. He also has some scarce John Deere bicycles from the 1950's era I believe- BUT not green and yellow in color scheme, alas.

I have a JD 318 lawn tractor and a 630 farm tractor with the old opposed twin cylinder engine and power steering and hydraulics. Almost bought a mint 1952 RA, but w/o power steering, you need arms like Arnold "Da Guv" to handle it. Only sound from any engine man ever built better is a Harley V-Twin (IMO) and when you say "Bike" to me, that means a made in Milwaukee "Iron Horse"- can't ride 'em anymore. but I still admire them.
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote