Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

I'll join Brother John on the "apology" as well
Unread 07-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #21
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default I'll join Brother John on the "apology" as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dunkle View Post
Then you might like this one. Deep relief and Colt engraved Colt 1911 and .22 Conversion (early style) as a presentation set. The Engraver? Master Engraver Alvin White (yes, the Alvin White - not the son).

Enjoy....

John

(BTW: Sorry for the hi-jack of this thread, Dean.. )
Me too- I only "jumped in" because I shoot SAA Colts (and others from new Haven as well). If I had realized you had tried to sell that fine looking .410 Skeeter before and got your "Dunlops Dinged" I would have passes. Rich is right, IMO anyway, a gun in that Minty condition with matched set of barrels and forearms, like the stunning Alvin Linden 1911-A-1 masterpeice, just doesn't come along every now and then. My Combat Commander shows lotsa wear, I use a Yacqui style slide when I carry- but it shoots right where I point- Had a chance to buy a Colt Ace .22, passed on it, big mistake--
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
"Holly-wooded" Colts and da bros. Coen already??
Unread 07-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #22
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default "Holly-wooded" Colts and da bros. Coen already??

Both "Fargo" and "No Country For Old men" had the weaponry right, and proper function of both wheelguns and pistols- etc. Just watched the DVD of the remake of the old "Duke" Wayne classic- "Rooster Cogburn- True Grit" last night-- Jeff Bridges made old Reuben Cogburn seem real and alive- great job- Matt Damon as the "Dudley Doo-Right" Texas Ranger- with a Sharps single shot carbine (not a Win 1873 like Rooster used)- even the bad guy with the Henry brass rifle slung with a length of clothesline- BUT- two technical "Flubs" IMO-- First- when Mattie rides her pony Blackie arcoss the deep river, where was the Dragoon Colt .44 and the flour sack? How did she keep it from getting wet? Rooster's Colt SAA .45 with contained cartridges, getting wet it would most likely fire- but any cap and baller- water gets into the cylinders and the powder gets wet- No "Dead Bang"-- she did get off one shot with it at Tom Chaney (after he stupidly tells her how to firct cock the hammer) and at that range, a hit in the midriff with a .44 (The Dragoon was a scaled down version of the fabled Walker Colt) might do more than bust up a rib--

Later, when she finally gets the chance to kill the man who murdered her father, she pick's up the Sharps carbine that Ranger LeBouef used to shoot dead at 400 yards "Unlucky" Ned Pepper from his saddle, BUT- she never opened the breech, ejected the fired empty case, and reloaded- she just pulled back the hammer to full cock, kissed the trigger and sent Tom Cheney "To Hell on a shutter"-- Huum- Hollywood-go figure-- Love to own that Dragoon however-fine weapon for its era-
The Following User Says Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post:
Unread 07-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #23
david ross
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hi Francis.
To hell on a shutter i do like that one a great line.
I can think of one or two i would like to see on one .
All the best Dave.
david ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Indeed it is--
Unread 07-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #24
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Indeed it is--

But I can't take credit for that, in all good faith, David. There have been several movies made in the last 20 years about Wyatt Earp and the OK Corral shootout with the Clanton gang- that line was said by "Ike" Clanton to Virgil Earp (played by Sam Elliott- great Western gravely voice-) in the saloon, Ike was drunk after a losing bout of poker with John "Doc" Holliday (played by Val Kilmer)-- Another great one comes from my all-time favorite Western-- "The Outlaw Josie Wales"-- uttered by John Fletcher (played by John Vernon) to the corrupt Senator Jim Blaine-- "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin'--That movie was flawless in its Hollywood armory and the stage armorers- I have the special Directors edition and Clint Eastwood details the later 1866 era weaponry- loved those two Walker Colts Josie carrioed- at almost 3.5 lbs. loaded/each- took a real man to shoot one--

A later movie, also starring and directed by Clint Eastwood- "Unforgiven" does mention a failing of the 1847 era Walker- not uncommon for the early Cap and Ball revolvers- and a chain fire- wowiee-- might as well be playing Frisbee with frag grenades sans pins- But there is one error in that great movie- it takes place in 1881 in Big Whiskey, Wyoming- the posse tells the sadistic sheriff (played by Gene Hackman) that the "general store won't give us the 30-30 shells on credit- 13 years before the .30WCF made it's debut in the great Model 1894 rifle-- most likely- it would have been .44-40 they were using in M1873 Winchester rifles in 1881-

I agree, I have encountered a few unpleasant folks that in a moment of rashness, have thought I'd like to sent to "Hell on a shutter"- but then I stop and the wisdom of Confucious kicks in- and I repeat his words of advice re: Revenge-- "When you set out on a journey of revenge, it is best to dig TWO graves before you depart"--We are lucky, indeed, are we not, that we can't be arrested for what we might think we would do- only if we do it or plot with others and are then found out--
The Following User Says Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post:
Unread 07-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #25
david ross
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hi Francis.
Like you i love good cowboy films plus war films to but if the guns are not of the correct
period or the uniforms are dodgy it kills it for me. Modern films seem more accurate with
guns ect' than the older ones. Please don't get me wrong some old black and white ones
are real classics and you can give them a bit of theatrical license. Most of the ones you
like i like to but Francis don't forget SHANE i love that film.
All the best Dave.
david ross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to david ross For Your Post: