Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Non-PGCA Shooting Events, Shows, and Conventions

Notices

Unread 05-15-2023, 08:58 AM   #21
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,455 Times in 967 Posts

I've had no problem buying guns under my C&R out of state, including PA, in person and on line. Five days ago bought a modern gun in PA from a reputable dealer and I was done in 5 minutes. Few weeks before that another PA dealer purchase for a modern gun was cleared in less than five minutes. Out of state purchase twice on modern guns, one from CA and one from MI, no issue at all last month. Twenty flats of ammo delivered to my FFL for a flat $10 fee from out of state, two weeks ago, no issue. There is such a thing as Chicken Little and such a thing as naive, but I choose to believe the truth lies somewhere between them. I choose to be objective about it and continue buying with what knowledge I have. There is little to no evidence the state has the manpower, the money, the infrastructure, the brains or the will to monitor every ammo purchase. I get those that refuse to sell to NY residents, just as I refuse to see patients whose insurance pays a paltry fee. I walked away from a nice British SxS at Hausmann's two years ago because he said my C&R was illegal, but went to another dealer who said, "Shit yeah, that's fine" and I walked out with a different gun. Likewise bought a gun at The Rock last year on my C&R, the seller saying, "Perfectly legit." There are two sides to every pancake I suppose. Refusing to sell to NY'ers is like saying I won't travel through PA because you idiots elected Fetterman. Phila is different than Montrose like NYC is different than Utica. Just my thoughts.
Unread 05-15-2023, 10:24 AM   #22
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,217 Posts

Craig's thread asked if there will be a PA 01 Dealer FFL at Hausmann's, presumably to do Form 4473 gun transfers for non-licensees and that's what most of the replies addressed.

Andy, as you know I too have a 03 C&R FFL. I've had very few problems buying guns on-line or in person at Hausmann's or other events. Yes there's the occasional instance when someone doesn't know what a C&R is, or won't accept it for some dubious reason. But in the main I've had it accepted for C&R guns almost always. Good to hear that your experiences recently with buying modern (non C&R) guns in PA with a Form 4473 went quickly and well.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2023, 10:47 AM   #23
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,515 Times in 3,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
Yes there's the occasional instance when someone doesn't know what a C&R is, or won't accept it for some dubious reason.
If some of these people would read the information in the booklet the BATF sends out, they would find that a C&R holder IS an FFL licensee.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 05-15-2023, 11:03 AM   #24
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,387 Times in 1,644 Posts

Why I was asking the question in the first place is I have a gun that a resident of VA may purchase at Hausmann's. I am a NY resident and was hoping Ernie would have a PA FFL on site to complete the Form 4373 and finish the transfer on site.
I have a C&R FFL but that does me no good on a sale.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 05-15-2023, 12:03 PM   #25
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,864 Times in 2,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Larter View Post
Why I was asking the question in the first place is I have a gun that a resident of VA may purchase at Hausmann's. I am a NY resident and was hoping Ernie would have a PA FFL on site to complete the Form 4373 and finish the transfer on site.
I have a C&R FFL but that does me no good on a sale.
The PA FFL holder would have to log it in/out of his A&D book OR check the boxes on the 4473 for completing a private party transfer. Either way he still has to run a PICS check.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 05-15-2023, 12:49 PM   #26
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,455 Times in 967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
Craig's thread asked if there will be a PA 01 Dealer FFL at Hausmann's, presumably to do Form 4473 gun transfers for non-licensees and that's what most of the replies addressed.

Andy, as you know I too have a 03 C&R FFL. I've had very few problems buying guns on-line or in person at Hausmann's or other events. Yes there's the occasional instance when someone doesn't know what a C&R is, or won't accept it for some dubious reason. But in the main I've had it accepted for C&R guns almost always. Good to hear that your experiences recently with buying modern (non C&R) guns in PA with a Form 4473 went quickly and well.
Frank, the dealer, who will remain nameless regarding the British gun, wanted payment up front in cash if possible, then to take the gun BACK to his home state to have it shipped to my FFL within my state. So then I pay taxes, shipping and FFL fees. I asked him to take $150 off the price of the gun to which he belly laughed at me. Like the scene from Lonesome Dove with Tommy Lee Jones, I told him, basically, "I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it." And walked away.