Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Cataracts
Unread 12-10-2022, 10:08 AM   #1
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,917 Times in 1,432 Posts

Default Cataracts

My pointer Scout has developed cataracts. They have seemed to have gotten worse in the last few months, especially in dim light. It hasn't stopped him from finding birds he is a machine when you put him in the field.
Unfortunately he bumped into a few things yesterday while hunting.
I would appreciate feed back from any Vets here or others that have had experience with having surgery on their dogs.
Scout is 11 but is in good health otherwise and may still have a few seasons left.
Cost, recovery times, success?
Thanks Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70541708-EBBC-4E41-880E-EB5C9B8EBCA3.jpg (544.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 56A79D91-C04E-4F6C-A014-B3976CB3F70D.jpg (619.1 KB, 4 views)
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2022, 12:04 PM   #2
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

My Lab Daisy also has them. The Vet diagnosed them as Nuclear Sclerosis. Same thing, as I understand it. My vet did not offer any direction on surgery. I suspect there may be a doc who will operate, but I'll bet the cost will be staggering. Daisy is approaching 11 years old, and I don't want to put her thru the process. She has taken me to a lot of great places, and helped put some good organic foods on our table Time for her to retire
Unread 12-10-2022, 03:42 PM   #3
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,783 Times in 601 Posts

Heiko had them last going off ,but by then he was pretty slow and managed to navigate just fine
chris dawe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chris dawe For Your Post:
Unread 12-10-2022, 04:43 PM   #4
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,771 Times in 2,005 Posts

All dogs, just like all people will develop cataracts. Rarely is surgery necessary on dogs, as though vision may be somewhat impaired, it is not like they are blind, and they dont have to drive. They all seem to navigate just fine.
I tell my patients that if they die before they have cataract surgery, they have died young, just a factor of getting older in both dogs and humans. As in everything, there are degrees of cataracts. I have cataracts, am 69 yrs old, and can still read a 20/20 line on the eye chart, night glare bothers me more however.
Nuclear sclerosis equal cataracts. I have hunted my dogs until they were 15, and hearing loss and other factors bothered them more than cataracts. Cataract surgery would have to be done by a vet ophthalmologist--few and far between.
I am an optometrist, and work for a cataract surgeon, cataract surgery follow ups are all I do now.
As long as your dog is still hunting as hard as you say, I wouldnt worry about it.
Unread 12-11-2022, 07:15 AM   #5
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Scout still has a lot of drive. I just watch him run into things and he has taken a few tumbles due to misjudging drops. Do qny of the vitamins or drops out there help help?
Unread 12-11-2022, 08:39 AM   #6
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,771 Times in 2,005 Posts

Phil, I dont put much stock in vitamins or eyedrops helping out. I guess if you are noticing him running into things that often, the cataracts might be more significant than I thought.
Hell to get old aint it. Hopefully, Scout will learn to moderate himself and continue hunting, he sounds like a great dog.
Unread 12-11-2022, 02:44 PM   #7
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,383 Times in 3,073 Posts

Both Tufts and Cornell do eye surgery on dogs. My dad's GWP was only 10 when my dad took him to Cornell for cataract surgery. I don't think he ever said what the cost was, but knowing my dad, that was immaterial. My GWP was only two when he developed a lesion on his spine, and he, too, went to Cornell. He came home 3 days later a new dog. That was in 1974, and the bill was just north of $2000. Unfortunately, Phil, both schools are on the opposite side of the country for you.
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2022, 04:24 PM   #8
Joe D.
PGCA Member

Member Info

My Daughter's family bought pet health insurance when they adopted their rescue dog 2 years ago. He has had any number of internal/digestive issues to the tune of over $35,000.00 since adoption. They were responsible for 20% of these bills and insurance covered the rest. Were I to get another bird dog, I would surely get a health insurance policy for it.
Joe Dreisch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Dreisch For Your Post:
Unread 12-11-2022, 04:53 PM   #9
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

I will need to look at insurance. Too late for Scout but maybe my young dog Ollie as well as the next dogs.
Looks like surgery is not a great option but as long as he can hunt I will be taking him. He doesn't like getting left behind.
The good news Ollie on a scale of 1 to 10 ls a 9.6 at her 2nd season. I sure wish I would have bought a litter mate when I bought her.
Unfortunately the stud dog got bit by a rattlesnake this year and died so the breeding will not be repeated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 12-16-2022, 02:31 PM   #10
birddogdoc
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,527 Times in 267 Posts

Every dog at age 7 or 8 has lenticular or nuclear sclerosis...it's not a form of cataract, dogs can still see but may have limited vision in low light. True cataracts light can't get thru the lens so they can't see at all. I'd have a veternary Ophthamologist peak at you dog.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shawn Wayment For Your Post:
Visit Shawn Wayment's homepage!