Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

8 ga trap
Unread 12-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default 8 ga trap

just bought a old 8 ga trap load by umc its a paper hull its loaded but i think it was probably hand loaded as the roll crimp does not look factory...some bodys had it on a display board and drilled couple holes in it...maybe i can get a picture of it and post it... i wonder if any one ever shot trap with a 8 ga....reckon the name of trap on the brass end was a sales gimmick just wondering.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

The 'Trap' empty shell is in my 1896 UMC catalog, but not in the 1910 UMC catalog. The "Trap shell is equal to the best imported, with no. 8 primer, battery cup, metal outside reinforce, the head of the shell being independent of the reinforce, thereby doubly strengthening it for heavy charges." It is listed in 8, 10 and 12 gauges in varying lengths. I do not see any factory loadings with that hull. Old handloads can be identified by the topwad printing, or lack thereof. Often, the topwad was inscribed with a pen as to the charge and, sometimes, the date, depending on how thorough the loader was. Topwads could also be purchased pre-printed with a number to denote the shot size. Factory topwads usually have nice machine printing of high quality. The top edge of the roll crimp is normally rounded. Many bench closers offered the square or round crimp. All of my factory loads have nicely done, rounded roll crimps.
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,927 Times in 4,782 Posts

That must be one rare shell. I have not seen an example.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

The 'Trap' hull is listed in my 1896 UMC catalog, but not in the 1910 UMC catalog. I would assume that it was dropped from the line sometime between 1896 and 1910. I have a real nice NPE 8 gauge 'Trap' hull. I do not have a lot of vintage handloads. Sometimes I buy them just to have the hull. I do not mind that when the hull was originally sold as an empty for handloading anyway.
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

the auction house i got this from had several odd names for the 4 ga and 8 ga...2 of the other 8 ga loads were 8 ga magic and 8 ga expert these were all umc shells i sure wanted those other loads maybe next time...thanks for the info on the trap shells i forgot to mention this shell was a pretty green color and looked close to elet type color and a glossy finish like lacour... i dont know how rare it is bill but its my first trap 8 ga to own ive seen some others on auction sites but not many....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,635 Times in 3,443 Posts

FWIW , I've personally shot trap , skeet , Sporting Clays and Jap Trap with a 10 gauge . And IF I had a nice old Parker 8 gauge hammerless I am quite certain if it were still shootable and I could come up with a safe smokeless load I'd shoot trap , skeet and Jap Trap with an 8 gauge !
Unread 01-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,990 Times in 1,428 Posts

OK, I've only been shooting trap for 50+ years and have to admit I've never heard of "Jap Trap." What is it?
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop View Post
OK, I've only been shooting trap for 50+ years and have to admit I've never heard of "Jap Trap." What is it?
If your club has dual fields meaning both trap and skeet on the same field you just shoot the trap machine from the skeet stations .

However the wrinkle is you cannot leave and go to the next station until you break a bird . SO in reality you could use your 25 shells on one station or you could go 25 stations if you don't miss !
Unread 01-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I might add on our number 1 field we added a wobble motor to the trap machine so not only does it oscillate left and right but the machine can also be made to change in a vertical direction as well !

That only enhances the game !

The best I've ever done at plain Jap Trap or Wobble Jap Trap is 19 stations . But I gotta say after shooting registered skeet and trap for many many years this is kinda a breath of fresh air !
Unread 01-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,990 Times in 1,428 Posts

Thanks Craig

I guess it goes by different names in different areas of the country. The N.E. American SxS classic at Hausmann's Hidden Hollow in N.E. Pa calls it "Mad Max" as I recall.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote