Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 12-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #71
Mark Brady
PGCA Member

Member Info

My two cents are probably not needed but here goes; I no longer hunt myself, but I don't object to anyone else doing so. Some of my best memories are of being in the field and woods with my grandfather and father hunting grouse, pheasant and cottontails. Me with my Parker Trojan 16 gauge, my dad with a Remington 11-48 16 gauge and my grandfather with his Grade 3 Ithaca N.I.D. We killed a lot of game and we ate it all. The only critters my grandfather and I hunted for sport were woodchucks, as the local farmers here in the Hudson Valley of N.Y. were plagued by them. I guess it was a tour of duty in Vietnam that made me loose interest in the kill, but I never lost interest in double guns and still shoot sporting clays, and trap.
Mark Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #72
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

pete: did you bother to watch the video about the secret life of crows? i doubt it? who knows perhaps you will discover info about them that will make your crow killing experiences even more enjoyable? following is a link:

video.pbs.org/video/1621910826/

and i certainly agree with you about the remington 1900 not being a parker...but then what else is?
ed good is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #73
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,369 Posts

Ed it seems you can't help yourself when it comes to insults i.e. did I see the video? "I doubt it?"

Nice dodge on my other points BTW.

The PBS video came out 2 years ago and I saw it then. It was interesting but far from accurate scientific reporting and depiction of crow behavior.

In it they claim that a crow can see/find danger and go back to a group of crows and tell them about it. Put that scientist in my blind and I will show him that is a big load of crow poop. Birds that have just been shot at will often turn and come back for more if other crows are inbound to the call and decoys (so much for sounding the alarm or even learning that gunfire was a danger signal). They also stated if a crow sees a dead crow they will come in silent, sit in a nearby tree and not make a sound, then take off without making a sound, WRONG! Every time I have a dead crow that has dropped outside the decoys and out of range every crow that flies by circles it cawing it's head off and almost always comes into my decoys where there are usually plastic decoys and more dead crows mixed in only to get close enough to get shot.

The show is entertainment with a science veneer and factually inaccurate.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 12-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #74
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

pete: as to the video, i particularly like the part about the crow in new caledonia that uses multiple tools to obtain food.

what were your other two points?

have you ever considered killing crows with an air rifle? requires far more hunting skills than just calling them in and then shooting them with a shotgun. some of the utube videos previously suggested feature stalking and ambushing crows with an air rifle.

no insult intended.
Unread 12-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #75
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,369 Posts

I am glad you found something to enjoy in it. As I pointed out an avid crow hunter would see it and have some skepticism about the facts presented. I don't believe I mentioned two other points that I did not explain.

I am not interested in hunting with an air rifle, or with any rifle on any game frankly. I enjoy shotguns and wingshooting. The crows provide a long season, no daily limit and can be a challenging aerial target. Many farmers appreciate them being shot.

The 1900 I bought is well suited to their pursuit with it's good fit, 30" barrels, tight chokes and ejectors and I learned more about the Remington double guns as a result.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 12-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #76
AmarilloMike
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

But ed you are anti-hunting also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
boys the new year is here...my new year solution is to hunt and shoot more than i did last year...lords willing im hoping all of us stay healthy and fit and give us a good year my best to all.... charlie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed good View Post
charlie: may i suggest that you hunt less and shoot more. clay birds do not bleed.
Do you have any anti-hunting videos on UTube you want us to watch?
Mike Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #77
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Guys Ed is baiting you.... Don't respond and maybe he and his torch will go to another site since he ads no value here with his posts.
Eric Eis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 12-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #78
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

me, baiting? day, i do believe that if you read all of mike's redundant posts here, you will also perhaps conclude, as i have, that mike is trying desperately to bait me, but alas, to no avail...

and day, please explain to us all, what does your off the wall post here, have to do with crow killing and remington model 1900 shotguns? which is after all the twin subjects of this thread.
Unread 12-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #79
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Crow shooting must be an Eastern US event. I've never even heard of anyone shooting crows out west, cept with a rifle. Sounds like fun to me though.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #80
AmarilloMike
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

The civic clubs in the small towns in this area used to put on crow hunts as a fund raiser. Start in the late evening on a full moon at a roost. Lots of fun.

ed is baiting us. That is what he does. He frequently makes some troll remark that is off-topic. Then lectures the responders to the remark in a sefl-righteous toned post about staying on topic. He is just like a 12 year old boy that runs a stick down the neighbor's fence to make their dogs bark. But he has mistakenly let his true beliefs show through his trolling. He really is anti-hunting and he isn't disputing it.

What a a paradox, an anti-hunting double gun dealer.
Mike Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Shepherd For Your Post: