Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 08-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #21
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Ya that's funny me too and that the owner is a pretty alright guy........
Unread 08-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #22
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Quote:
I have never seen a two trigger Superposed of any gauge. I wonder how difficult it is to have one switched to double triggers? I have always prefered hunting with a gun with two triggers. When shooting a single select, I have never been able to switch to the other barrel after a covey rise. I just accept the barrel I've already selected, which is often the wrong one. It is easy for me to move my finger back (I am always set to fire the open barrel first.) and fire the other tube.
I own a 12-bore Std. Lightning with double triggers... and have seen others in my career. No 20-bores, however. As I recall from the Superposed book, the 20-bore may have been introduced after the single trigger was standard. I am not a fan of Val Browning's single trigger.

And... I've learned to fairly well ignore choke. I seem to hit as many targets with a true CYL choke as with a Full. Waterfowling is probably a sensible exception however. All I'm saying is that I'm either "on" the target or "off." It's me, not the choke.

Best, Kensal
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #23
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lien View Post
----------------------------------

In recent years I've heard credible rumors that Hemingway's Superposed still resides not far from the Sun Valley area, and it continues to be carried in the field occasionally by an "Old Hunter"...

Best, CSL

I have read the date, but can't recall the year that Mary gave the lion's share of Hem's Idaho guns to Abecrombie and Fitch to re-sell. Those who bought them, many showing hard use, were not told the identity of the original owner. If they had, they would probably have saved them for future sale. Most are lost.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #24
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,862 Times in 4,751 Posts

I am guessing that the gun that Chris alludes to never went through Abercrombie and Fitch after Hemingway's death. Bird hunters are a close knit group.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #25
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
I am guessing that the gun that Chris alludes to never went through Abercrombie and Fitch after Hemingway's death. Bird hunters are a close knit group.
I agree. The fellow was probably given the gun and has kept it secret for safties sake. The old Superposed would be valuable and there is no tell'n what someone would do to get their hands on it.
Unread 08-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #26
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McCarty View Post
I have never seen (in the flesh) a two trigger Superposed of any gauge.
---------------------------------------

Below is one of the early (double-trigger) 12ga Browning Supers, delivered in may of 1931... A Browning letter confirmed it's original configuration as a factory ordered Trap Gun, choked full/full, with 32" barrels, vent rib, double (checkered) triggers, and a Monte Carlo stock. It was shipped to a W.H. Price (Gun-Smith) at 98 Stevenson street, San Francisco, Ca. ---... When I spoke with the Browning historian he indicated that demand for the first Superposed guns was very high, and they were somewhat hard to get in early 1931...

Nothing wrong with double triggers, especially when you've been shooting them a long time...

Best, CSL

Unread 08-09-2012, 12:31 AM   #27
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,835 Times in 2,362 Posts

I've seen a goodly number of pre-WW-II 12-gauge Superposeds with double (and double single) triggers, but I've never seen a 20-gauge Superposed with anything but a single selective trigger, some inertia and some later ones mechanical.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Triggers- single or double
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #28
Grantham Forester
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Triggers- single or double

My friend with the older 20 Browning with 28" barrels and solid, not vented rib, bought it used many years ago from a Mom and Pop gun store in Northern WI. He has no idea what the chokes are, or anything like that, he just kills grouse, quail and woodcock with it in an almost machine-like style. Very little blue or wood finish left, front sight bead is missing, just a solid older bird gun. Another friend has a 16 gauge Model 21 Winchester with ejectors, but two triggers instead of the usual single trigger with the gold plated button in the shank. He obtained a letter from the Winchester Museum at Cody, WY and it was a special order made in 1954. You never know, do you??
Unread 08-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #29
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lien View Post
---------------------------------------

Below is one of the early (double-trigger) 12ga Browning Supers, delivered in may of 1931... A Browning letter confirmed it's original configuration as a factory ordered Trap Gun, choked full/full, with 32" barrels, vent rib, double (checkered) triggers, and a Monte Carlo stock. It was shipped to a W.H. Price (Gun-Smith) at 98 Stevenson street, San Francisco, Ca. ---... When I spoke with the Browning historian he indicated that demand for the first Superposed guns was very high, and they were somewhat hard to get in early 1931...

Nothing wrong with double triggers, especially when you've been shooting them a long time...

Best, CSL

Thank you for the fine pictures! I'll bet that gun would be a bang up trap gun today! Just this morning I averaged 23 for three rounds, which is good for me! Something that I've been working on for a few months.

I finally learned where my Parker SBT shoots. Now, if I can only learn to consentrate hard, I'll break'm all.

Do you shoot your old Superposed?
Unread 08-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #30
David Lien
Forum Associate

Member Info

On page 121 in Ned Schwing's book "The Browning Superposed" The double trigger 20 ga. Superposed is discussed. the gun was marketed by FN and sold mostly in Europe (not in the US). Guns were marked FN and not Browning.
I have seen a couple and I have shot one that belongs to a friend, his story is, "a relative brought the gun back to the US while in the service".
Yup; I have tried to buy the gun and he has agreed to have his wife sell me the gun if I out live him. (he is younger than I)... Sooooooooo It looks like a dead end for me...
David

Last edited by David Lien; 08-10-2012 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: mistake
David Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Lien For Your Post: