Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 08-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Sayre View Post
I was just in NY City at the Beretta store and was amazed to find one of Hemingway's O/U Beretta displayed in the store. I was very pleased apparently he must have owned it while living in Key West for they said he bird hunted in Cuba with it. A must see if you are in NY City.
Wonderful!

Most of Hem's guns have been lost. The fellow who bought his well used model 12 at Abecrombie (sp?) and Fitch bought it for a song. It was well used and after shooting the gun for a while he sold it and it's lost. Hem's famous Griffin and Howe Model 70 30-06 went to his son Patrick. It was stolen and they think it ended up in the IRA. One of his Mannlicher Schoeneurs when to one of Mary and Hem's friends in Ketchum, it was an 1952 carbine.

I have seen photos of the famous Beretta. Hem's Woodmasters are gone. At least one of his 470 double rifles is on display in Cuba...or is it in Key West?

Here is my MS 1952 carbine.

Castro used to shoot one of Hem's O/U's just for grins. I believe that gun is still on display in the Finsa Vigia.

I have no idea what happened to his Superposed....I guess I need to dig into the Hemingway's Guns book some more.

Famous men's guns are exciting. I own a model 08 Colt 380 that was owned by Ray Folger of coffee fame. The interesting thing about the pistol, which is like new, is that Mr. Folger used it to kill an intruder who had entered his back yard. I also own his Parker SBT. Nice, guns with a history. I am a Starbuck's coffee guy tho.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
doubles and single shot rifles
Unread 08-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #12
Rodney Sayre
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default doubles and single shot rifles

If your are duck hunting or pheasant hunting you rarely get a third shot and I never have got a second shot at a pheasant. I hunt deer with a tc single shot and know that those guys who shoot three times, missed with them all. If you are not on target don't shoot. Why wound game kill it or don't shoot. For me, It's about hunting not killing.
Rodney Sayre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rodney Sayre For Your Post:
Unread 08-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

Rodney,

Sometimes you do need those extra shells. I recall the occasion I shot at a deer five times with an 870 Slug Gun before I got it killed. Hit it on the run with the first shot and knocked it down, then the crazy part started. It's a long story.......

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #14
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

im one of them fellas that need the 2 nd and 3 rd shot a lot....but aint shot nothing that holds 3 shells for a long time other than ,y old drilling...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #15
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Not sure about other field trials, but in the Springer world, trials must be shot with a 12 gauge,"well choked" break gun. No three shots for us! The best trial gun I shot with used either a 32" F&F M21, or a Crown Grade Elsie
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #16
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,835 Times in 2,362 Posts

I was never there, so certainly don't know for sure, but I've heard and seen pictures that purport to show Andy Devine shooting his .410-bore Parker Bros. at the Nationals at Ames Plantation, Grand Junction, TN.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #17
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,228 Times in 12,374 Posts

I know this isn't the Grand Junction, TN picture Dave is referring to... this was Andy Devine with his Parker .410 woodcock shooting in Louisiana with Grits Gresham & co.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AM_sportsman_Grits_Gresham.JPG (124.7 KB, 8 views)
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #18
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,862 Times in 4,751 Posts

In an earlier post, I incorrectly stated that a 20 gauge Superposed is a rare gun. I should have stated that a double trigger 20 gauge Superposed is a rare gun.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #19
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
In an earlier post, I incorrectly stated that a 20 gauge Superposed is a rare gun. I should have stated that a double trigger 20 gauge Superposed is a rare gun.
I have never seen (in the flesh) a two trigger Superposed of any gauge. I wonder how difficult it is to have one switched to double triggers? I have always prefered hunting with a gun with two triggers. When shooting a single select, I have never been able to switch to the other barrel after a covey rise. I just accept the barrel I've already selected, which is often the wrong one. It is easy for me to move my finger back (I am always set to fire the open barrel first.) and fire the other tube.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #20
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McCarty View Post
Wonderful!

Most of Hem's guns have been lost.

I have no idea what happened to his Superposed....I guess I need to dig into the Hemingway's Guns book some more.
----------------------------------

In recent years I've heard credible rumors that Hemingway's Superposed still resides not far from the Sun Valley area, and it continues to be carried in the field occasionally by an "Old Hunter"...

Best, CSL