Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Winchester 1897 Black Diamond Trap
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Winchester 1897 Black Diamond Trap

I think these pump guns have great lines, and I've noticed more of them popping up on the auction sites. They all seem to have short LOPs, like 13 3/4". I've also noticed several variations on the butt: a curved Winchester butt plate, a flat butt for a pad, and another with a steel butt plate. I assume the shooter could order whatever he wanted. Neat guns. When looking at them is there anything to be especially aware of? Thanks
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

Worn sear springs hammer will fall when closing action also watch the web of your hand I love the 97s
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Blake View Post
I think these pump guns have great lines, and I've noticed more of them popping up on the auction sites. They all seem to have short LOPs, like 13 3/4". I've also noticed several variations on the butt: a curved Winchester butt plate, a flat butt for a pad, and another with a steel butt plate. I assume the shooter could order whatever he wanted. Neat guns. When looking at them is there anything to be especially aware of? Thanks
Hunters and shooters used to wear heavy canvas coats, or a thick wool sweater and some kind of shooting vest, thus the short LOP to compensate. I know that I feel the difference when I shoot a longer gun while wearing winter duds and I don't like it. Even a quarter inch in LOP makes a difference to me.

Pumps fell from favor, but now are gaining ground and those old Model 97's that languished in grandpa's closet are worth money today. I have one, but don't shoot it much. I prefer the model 12....or better yet an Ithaca mod 37.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,718 Posts

Model 97 Traps are scarce in high condition. Some Traps do not have the matted barrel but are still original. I have not seen a Trap that I considered original that did not have the TRAP GUN stamp on the breech bolt. The curved hard rubber buttplate is hard to find. Some early buttplates have peaks like the Parker dog's head buttplate. The complete package is original butt, TRAP GUN stamp, matted barrel and receiver top, and black diamond stock. 32" barrel is scarce in a Trap. I have not had the opportunity to buy one in years of searching.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

Some more detailed pics of my '97 below. Its pull is 14&1/8" which is usable for me (could be another 1/2"). My main problem is the small trigger guard when gloved in cold weather. The butt stock and plate are slightly curved; the BP is hard rubber like a DHBP without the "peak".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '97.jpg (86.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg '97 butt.jpg (128.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg '97 BP.jpg (63.3 KB, 2 views)
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fred Preston For Your Post:
Unread 08-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

them old 97 s are fine guns..most seen a lot of hard use and were hunted hard but most have survived...ive got a good shooter in the 97 its a 12 ga 30 inch full choke and kicks like a mule with high brass shells.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Model 97 Traps are scarce in high condition. Some Traps do not have the matted barrel but are still original. I have not seen a Trap that I considered original that did not have the TRAP GUN stamp on the breech bolt. The curved hard rubber buttplate is hard to find. Some early buttplates have peaks like the Parker dog's head buttplate. The complete package is original butt, TRAP GUN stamp, matted barrel and receiver top, and black diamond stock. 32" barrel is scarce in a Trap. I have not had the opportunity to buy one in years of searching.
I know a fellow who owns one. He inherited it. He told me that I could have his first one or two children, but he is keeping that gun. He said it's like new. I haven't seen it tho. A 97 Black Diamond trap gun.

Question: If I take an old Model 12 and mount one of those strap on combs to the stock have I just created a trap gun?
Unread 08-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
Holeshot
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have shot some really good registered trap scores with a solid rib model 12. So yes, anything is possible. Dave
David Holes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
them old 97 s are fine guns..most seen a lot of hard use and were hunted hard but most have survived...ive got a good shooter in the 97 its a 12 ga 30 inch full choke and kicks like a mule with high brass shells.... charlie
Pumps were cutting edge shotguns at the turn of the century (the one before last) and were extremely popular for several decades. I still like them. When I was a kid almost everyone shot a pump; a few autos. As a s a college kid someone loaned me a double with a plastic stock! I did fine with it. Have no idea what it was.

I have had trouble shooting a pump at skeet, but I'm not that good. If I could break the first bird quickly I'd have plenty of time to work that trombone.

I like the pencil thin feel of a pump, but I like the old world mystic of the double. I have been shooting trap and skeet and want to shoot my old doubles; a Parker GH, a Fox Sterlingworth, a Spanish ASTRA and an "I" grade Lefever. No one shoots guns like these in my club. No one cares tho. I can shoot whatever I want to shoot.

Here is the question; does anyone shoot one of these old doubles with the low comb at trap/skeet and do any good with them? I suppose I'd have to "cover the bird" but that's okay with me....if it works.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve McCarty For Your Post:
Unread 08-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #10
Holeshot
PGCA Member

Member Info

My first parker was a vh 12, 28 inch, imp mod and full. First time shooting skeet I broke a 24. High 8 proved tough with that choke. I walked off station 7 with 2 clouds of smoke on a windless day that left my fellow shooters amazed. What fun. I now shoot a SBT and a vh skeet gun and shoot very well indeed. Dave
David Holes is offline   Reply With Quote