Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Stuff
Unread 07-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Default Stuff

The wife has informed me that I have to much stuff. She refers to this as "clutter" and I regard it as "material to be used at a future date". If something doesn't have an immediate use in her mind it should be gone, if we need it in 6mos we will replace that item. I subscribe to the theory of It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

If your a gun nut like I am and a pursuer of game both feathered and furred just by the law's of nature you accumulate stuff. My stuff extends to antique furniture, collectible books and art work so it compounds the issues.

If you shoot a lot then you must reload which means stuff. I load 12-410 both 2 3/4 & 2 1/2 inch hulls so thats different presses. When I buy componets it's 5000 wads at a time for example. There are 6 totes of empty hulls in the basement of different guages. I probably have a lifetime supply of RST 16's and 20's but that doesn't stop me from picking up more at shoots. They won't rot and it's better to have them. Add centerfire rifles into the mix and now there is brass (more than I'll ever use), bullets, primers, powder for them also. Another press and eighteen sets of dies from .22 Hornet to .416 Taylor. Why do I still have the Taylor as I don't anticipate another trip to Africa? I like to shoot deer with it but in all honesty the last deer I shot with it was probably 6 years ago but it doesn't eat anything and maybe someday I'll get back to Africa but if not there are plenty of Whitetails around. I won't even get into the guns but I have more than I need/shoot but not as many as I want. You can never have to many guns.

I have one pair of dress shoes for work but at least 6 pair of hunting boots. There are two pair of light weight non insulated boots for early bird season. Why two pair she asks, well if one pair gets wet there is a spare. Two pair of medium weight insulated leather boots for walking around in late fall, early winter, felt pack boots for deer season and a heavy pair of Micky Mouse type boots for the late season on stand and muzzel loading season. Muzzelloading thats a good one. I haven't even shot my TC Encore in 6 years but I won't sell it because I might just need it some day along with the wool snow camo suit.

I still have the Columbia Quad 4 Parkas (2) I used for duck hunting. I haven't hunted ducks in 20 years but the coats are still good and came in handy once in 1999 in Alaska. Waterfowl hunting breeds stuff what with decoys for ducks and geese, calls, waders, boats, motors, specialized guns, non tox shot, Labs, trucks to haul the boat, i'm lucky i don't do this anymore.

I have every issue of Shooting Sportsman and DGJ. i refer to them as research material and evidence of the increasing value of our fine guns. I refer to my "stuff" as collectible sporting equipment and memorabilla. The wooden shell boxes that line the closet in the Gun Room are all put to use holding varying things from binoculars, hulls, slings, brass, knives (I can't sharpen a knife to save my ass so I have a lot of them), old cloth shell bags, I pointed one out to the wife at an Antigue store, they wanted $12 for it but the value was lost on her.

At the end of the day I do have a lot of stuff but my stuff gives me pleasure and I'd hate to die with $20 in my pocket, a vacation day and no stuff.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
Ronald Moore
PGCA Member

Member Info

You shoulf tell your wife not to mess with your stuff, and be done with it. Women, cannot live with them, cannot live without them.

Massamoo
Ronald Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronald Moore For Your Post:
Unread 07-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Rich, Danny said that "We have alot of shooting and hunting stuff" the other day as he was looking for something. I just rolled my eyes....I think I'll just have him read this....He'll understand....

Maybe us guy's should just print this out and keep it for future use.....more stuff....
Unread 07-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

rich you have said it all.... i and all the rest of us guys want to thank you for reminding all of us whu we need all this stuff...i set here looking up in my little cubby hole and i see a pile of pld hunting shells a brand new 1949 chev steering wheel hanging on the wall a rabbit trap from australia.. a no4 jump trap a dr pepper bottle that is full from the year of 1958 my dads old bill fold a horse collier and the haynes and chains attached... a picture of a 39 packard and a 55 chev convertible a 24 ga single barrel a 40 inch barrel long tom...and a BIBLE....gosh the list could go on...thanks for reminding us it only matters to the person that this stuff belongs too what its worth.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,155 Times in 3,259 Posts

sorry guys but all this stuff just confirms how lucky I already knew I was, and I love her for so much more than just because of this -- but

she has as many books and magazines as I do, mine do not bother her a bit.

we are constantly in antiques stores, we both add to the collection, although her finds tend to be for the house, example - I had just built a workbench for the rod shop when we found a great antique one, thats out there now as well.

she rode out with me last night to look at a potential boat restoration project, (and I sure as heck don't NEED another project) her only concern was did I have a place to put it until I can get to do it, so that is does not deteriorate any furthur.

Her answer to the last Osthaus print I was actually going to leave hanging in the shop where we saw it was -- "have you seen it before and when will you see another one."

When our breeder emailed the group a few years a ago that a pup was available, she said "did you tell me we'll take him?" I laughed and told her I had not finished reading the email yet . so a second setter joined the family.

Even the last Parker was only met with "its a good deal isn't it"

I know some guys are only enjoying making wife jokes, and for some they are unfortunately not jokes.

but no jokes here - I make sure every day she knows how I feel.
Unread 07-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Throw in Rocks for me, go figure. I really admire the people who lived by the rock. Bean picken up neet rocks a long time then I found a rock tool and....
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

She really doesn't give me to much grief as long as I take care of my stuff, it's the clutter she can't stand. I refer to my pile of clutter as organized chaos.
I did add to the antique furniture collection with an ice box and a small camode. I can use the camode as a TV stand in the cabin and the ice box well I have been looking for a small one for years now I can search for something else. I bought 5 boxes of factory .22 Hornet ammo the other day just because it was a good deal at $20/box. Now I won't have to reload any when I go to shoot Prarie Dogs. Another hobby that adds to the stuff.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

If it weren't for the "Stuff" this wouldn't be interesting
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,862 Times in 4,751 Posts

You guys don't want me to start participating in this discussion. I don't think there is anything that has been mentioned so far that I don't own at least two of, and that doesn't scratch the surface.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Wives should tread lightly on this subject. When the question arises, "It is me (the wife) or your guns". The answer is not an easy one.

I went to a gun show once and a fellow was off loading a nice collection of SMLE's. I bought two. He said his wife had issued an ultimatum and his guns had to go. I thought, "Man she must be some chic!" I'll bet they broke up anyway and he lost one very nice collection in the deal.

My wife and I have been hitched for a long time and she finally gave up complaining when I returned from a gun show with a new find, but it was a long and hard fought battle. I do try to restrain myself however, because I have so many guns that I almost don't need any more.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote