Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-07-2022, 09:08 PM   #21
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Allen View Post
If you don't tell them it is a gun and they find that it is,you will lose your gun. Both UPS and Fedex have confiscated guns and turned them in to the ATF. The UPS rep showed me the internal email they all got this past Monday. They are not allowed to take guns or gun parts from anyone who does not have a UPS account. All guns have to be declared and shipped to an FFL.
The non FFL people in central VA that handle UPS have been asking customers if they’re shipping a gun and if they say yes or none ya buisness they decline , actually they’ve been doing that around here for perhaps two years . We’ve been told that UPS insurance would not cover breakage or loss of a gun unless it went FFL to FFL .
Unread 09-07-2022, 09:13 PM   #22
John Allen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 342 Posts

Goggle "UPS gun shipment policy" it is pretty straight foreward. They will only accept guns from ffl holders that have an account with UPS. This went into effect this past Monday.
John Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2022, 10:32 PM   #23
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,948 Times in 1,437 Posts

Wow this came out of left field at least for most of us.
I guess USPS is the only option, or use and pay for an FFL.
What about ammo? Same thing?
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2022, 07:17 AM   #24
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
I discussed it with a UPS rep yesterday. He said the new policy is in response to unserialized "ghost guns" being shipped individual to individual bypassing FFLs. Both fedex and UPS have found undeclared guns in shipments. I guess they must run them through scanners like at the airports. The post office will still take a gun if you show them a copy of the receiving ffl. The problem is most ffl holders will not send out a copy of their license to a non ffl.
I ship through USPS all the time. Have never been asked to show the receiving dealers FFL. Unless the rules changed in the last 2 weeks it's not an issue with a long gun.

These are the current USPS rules and worth printing out and taking to show the folks at USPS if there is an issue :

432.3 Rifles and Shotguns
Except under 431.2, unloaded rifles and shotguns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing. The following conditions also apply:

Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when intended for delivery within the same state of mailing. These items must:
Bear a “Return Service Requested” endorsement.
Be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
A rifle or shotgun owned by a non-FFL may be mailed outside the owner‘s state of residence by the owner to himself or herself, in care of another person in the other state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. These mailpieces must:
Be addressed to the owner.
Include the “in the care of” endorsement immediately preceding the name of the applicable temporary custodian.
Be opened by the rifle or shotgun owner only.
Be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
Mailing of rifles and shotguns between licensed FFL dealers, manufacturers, or importers are not restricted. The Postal Service recommends that these items be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by a non-FFL owner domestically to a FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

Last edited by tom tutwiler; 09-08-2022 at 07:28 AM..
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2022, 07:52 AM   #25
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,125 Posts

Quote:
Up until last week,an individual could take a gun to UPS and they would accept it as long as you confirmed it was going to an ffl. Now they will not accept any gun or gun parts unless you have an account set up with them. They will not take a gun from an ffl unless he has an account with them. Fedex has a similar policy. Fedex recently confiscated some guns that were not declared as guns when they were shipped.
So, for me, nothing has changed at all. Sorry for those of you that WILL be inconvenienced, though.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2022, 08:59 AM   #26
John Allen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I tried to ship a gun yesterday through the post office. It was going to an ffl but he would not send a copy of his license. The post office would not accept the gun unless they saw a copy of the receiving ffl. Just more bureaucratic nonsense.
UPS's new policy
Unread 09-08-2022, 09:42 AM   #27
Larry the Gun Guy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,554 Times in 380 Posts

Default UPS's new policy

The UPS hub people tell me that the policy went into affect on August 22nd.
This sounds like a board of director's policy change to me. You know the corporate creeps at the top that domino to every new and weird social movement out there. Here's the sign they have posted on the window at the hub. But, like I said before when you call this number they do not know what to do either. This WILL stop gun violence; target the people who have nothing to do with it. As far as ghost guns go, that's an ATF issue and all UPS would have to do is turn those people over to the AFT and eliminate that group, so I'm not buying that either. But, I'm sure the guy had to say something to appease your inquiry. It will be interesting to see if they come out with an official statement as to why they did this.
X
X
X
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpg (22.1 KB, 97 views)
Larry Stauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2022, 10:50 AM   #28
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,455 Times in 804 Posts

Why do you have to tell usps its a gun in the box, they never ask me what was in it when i ship a gun. I do ship to ffl dealers only when i ship and always use usps.
Scott
Unread 09-08-2022, 11:06 AM   #29
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,538 Times in 4,621 Posts

I hear about all of this so often. And I just done get it. Process the shipment online, put the label on the box and drop it off. Simple. No questions asked, no need to give an answer.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 09-08-2022, 11:19 AM   #30
John Allen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Nothing much changes for an FFL holder. This will force non ffls to either go through the postal service or pay an ffl for use of his license. If a non ffl just prints out a label and ships a gun without declaring it the gun will be confiscated if it is found. This has already happened with both UPS and Fedex. This also applies to parts such as barrels and trigger assemblies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Allen For Your Post: