Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 08-28-2022, 09:18 PM   #11
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,454 Times in 3,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
I bought the two Ithaca Mags the first time around and there had been no mention of Briley choke tubes or cut barrels. I had asked prior to bidding for bore and choke measurements and they had no clue or the equipment to accomplish that. So, I took a chance! I did get a refund on the guns, but they had contracted with a local FFL for shipping who charged outrageous fees. I took a hit there but was happy to get my other payments refunded. I explained all the issues with the guns and offered to work with them on a corrected re-auction description. They were not at all interested. It proved to me once again that a hands on inspection by someone knowledgeable is essential.
The grade 4 was $1500 plus premium and the grade 3 was $1700 and the premium . If memory serves you got them for less correct ?
Unread 08-28-2022, 09:19 PM   #12
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major McCollough View Post
Craig, You, and the inability to get into the auction, saved my bacon - I would still be after the Super Fox. Thanks
You’re quite welcome !
Unread 08-28-2022, 09:25 PM   #13
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Noble View Post
What auction house was this? I need to steer clear of it.
Jeffery S Evans , I think they’re trying they’re just not gun savy . There’s another auction house within 200 yards of them that’s run by another fellow named Evans . They just happen to be related . These four were the last four of I think what was considered the junk out of Charlie Hunters accumulation . They sold a few pieces at the late 2021 Guyette & Deeter action in Easton MD and supposedly there will be another auction to dissolve the cream of the Hunter accumulation. I’d like to go but I have a sneaking suspicion that auction will take place when I’m out of the country in February .
Unread 08-29-2022, 06:41 AM   #14
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

Bill Davis, I bought one of the guns at the previous auction, did a face to face with the auction house, and voided the sale entirely. They were just plain negligent. You should have voided the sale also. No, the screw in chokes were not related to NSCA sporting clays. No one shoots NSCA with a ten gauge magnum. It involved the original owner being a very rich idiot who knew nothing about gun values or proper care. Thankfully, I scored a high condition VHE 28 gauge skeet at a very attractive price in the original auction.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2022, 01:58 PM   #15
Keith Sirmans
PGCA Member

Member Info

That one had a lot of attention. It was even all over facebook during the auction.
Unread 08-29-2022, 02:22 PM   #16
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Since I am not a facebook member, my only weapon was repeated bids and my checkbook. What in heck did the facebook members say about my little treasure? Further, who bought the DHE .410? That's the one I wish I had bought.
Unread 08-29-2022, 02:33 PM   #17
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

In my opinion, the DHE .410 was not a bad gun, translation; maybe not an upgrade. I would gladly give the buyer a profit on his purchase.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 08-30-2022, 02:34 PM   #18
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,245 Times in 616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
I bought the two Ithaca Mags the first time around and there had been no mention of Briley choke tubes or cut barrels. I had asked prior to bidding for bore and choke measurements and they had no clue or the equipment to accomplish that. So, I took a chance! I did get a refund on the guns, but they had contracted with a local FFL for shipping who charged outrageous fees. I took a hit there but was happy to get my other payments refunded. I explained all the issues with the guns and offered to work with them on a corrected re-auction description. They were not at all interested. It proved to me once again that a hands on inspection by someone knowledgeable is essential.
Bill,

I noticed that one of these Ithaca Magnums had cocking indicators, I had never noticed that on a Ithaca Magnum frame before, was I just not being observant or is this a rarity?

I did some digging and did find one other later Magnum with indicators. these Magnum Ithaca's were started around 1932, so I guess there may be some out there

Stan
Stan Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2022, 03:11 PM   #19
nid-28
PGCA Member

Member Info

Good catch Stan! One of the 10 gauge Magnums did, indeed, have cocking indicators. I had never ever seen one with them before either in guns I owned or guns I looked at over the last 50 years. At one time I had Mag 10’s up to Grade 5 and was quite surprised when this one with indicators showed up. It’s too bad the guns had been butchered.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2022, 04:14 PM   #20
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

"Butchered" is a good description. I did not know Mr. Hunter, but he was not an expert of good guns. He had a checkbook. He could have been one of us but his expertise was in decoys. Too bad. His decoys made him much more profit than guns.