Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Dog water container
Unread 12-09-2021, 11:05 PM   #1
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,918 Times in 1,432 Posts

Default Dog water container

After a number of mishaps with my spare dog water. The latest being last Sunday when my orange igloo water barrel tipped over and lost my water I set out to come up with something portable to keep water cool, clean, and dispense under pressure.
I won’t know how well this will work until The epoxy sets up and I test it under pressure tomorrow.
I started with a 28 QT Ozark Trail Ice chest because it was reasonably priced, seals tight and would hold about 6 gallons of water.
I removed the drain and screwed in a reducer ( not the same thread) wetted with high strength epoxy.
I went to a local hose and fitting supply store and had them make me a custom 5 foot hose that is suitable for water. I attached this to the reducer on one end and a spray nozzle on the other.
I then drilled a hole for a Schrader valve that was epoxied in.
Tomorrow I will fill with water, latch the top and then pressurize with my portable 12 volt compressor.
I don’t expect everything to work flawlessly the first time and will report back the results after my hunt tomorrow.
I am hoping to perfect this as I like the idea of being able to have a portable sturdy water container I can move from truck to truck or sit on the ground. Able to fill water bottles and water bowls. Use a fine spray to cool down the dogs, and clean up accidents, mud, and use it during bird cleaning. A poor man’s way to carry water without the expense of a built in unit.
I bet there are some members that can suggest some great ideas for improvements.
Merry Christmas
Phil
Pictures attached.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 12-10-2021, 08:01 AM   #2
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,772 Times in 2,006 Posts

Pretty ingenious Phil. Got to admit a pressurized system would be handy at times. I wonder how pressure tight the system will be and how long the "pressurization" will last. I carry a 10 gallon container with a spigot that fits under my truck bed set up on extended hunting trips.
Unread 12-10-2021, 10:16 AM   #3
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Phil, that's ingenious. It's been dry enough here that we feel like we're in the desert, not North Missouri. We carry water bottle(s) afield, but just use gallon jugs for watering at the truck. Your rig looks nice!
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2021, 12:26 PM   #4
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,099 Times in 673 Posts

Years ago when I was running three setters I went through a great deal of water. I made a container out of 4" schedule 40 PVC pipe about 6' long. Fitted with a cap on one end and a filler hole and faucet on the other. Strapped to the inside truck bed rail it was very accessible and out of the way. It was not pressurized but could easily be modified to be so.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 12-10-2021, 01:47 PM   #5
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Laudermilch View Post
Years ago when I was running three setters I went through a great deal of water. I made a container out of 4" schedule 40 PVC pipe about 6' long. Fitted with a cap on one end and a filler hole and faucet on the other. Strapped to the inside truck bed rail it was very accessible and out of the way. It was not pressurized but could easily be modified to be so.
Gary, do you have any idea how much water your rig would hold?
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2021, 04:56 PM   #6
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,099 Times in 673 Posts

I never measured it but I had enough for extended trips. If my math is correct a foot of 4" pipe should hold .65 gallons.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 12-10-2021, 10:00 PM   #7
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

woodcock like creek bottoms -

and most of my grouse covers have streams

I do carry a couple gallon jugs if I think it will be a dry area

AT LAST - one good thing about being in New York and they haven't taxed it yet
Unread 12-10-2021, 10:15 PM   #8
Chris Pope
PGCA Member

Member Info

4 gals. That is a brilliant idea Gary! Thanks might have to give that a try.
Chris Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2021, 10:33 PM   #9
Chris Pope
PGCA Member

Member Info

It's seriously low tech (wish I had Phil's ingenuity and craft talent) but this is what I use- 6 recycled OJ containers (1.6qt) in an old milk crate with a bundt pan to put the water in. 2 advantages with a bundt pan- 2 dogs can drink easily out of it while having the center stem/hole to separate them a little and second if you need to secure your dogs outside on a tie out stake you simply pound the stake down thru the hole in the bundt pan and it keeps the dog from tipping over his water bowl. Learned/stole that idea at a NAVHDA event. Water can always be a challenge curious to hear some other ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1022 (002).jpg (492.2 KB, 2 views)
Chris Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2021, 07:36 AM   #10
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,918 Times in 1,432 Posts

Thanks guys for the feedback, Lots of additional great ideas and thoughts.
I tested the container yesterday but lost pressure rather quickly at the lid seal. Was on my way out to hunt so did not have time to mess with it. Still gravity flowed ok.
Will use some silicone on top of the current seal with some Vaseline on the lid ridge to form a tight seal. I want to be able to open, clean and dry out when not in use.
I will keep playing with this until I get the bugs worked out.
Many of the places I hunt there is no dependable natural water. I must carry 2 to 3 quarts of water in my vest for the dogs.
Most times I am limited to how long I can run my dogs based on how much water I carry. For this reason I normally only run one dog at a time. Coming back to the truck to change dogs and refill water bottles.
I like to carry 5 gallons of water in the truck if I am taking out 3 or 4 dogs.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post: