Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 09-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #21
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

A London gun VS a Parker is much the same as Russel boots VS Danner or another manufacturer. The others are manufactured the Russels hand made as is the London gun.

Do you want a side lock or box lock a 12 or a small bore? I recently sold a very nice 20ga Charles Boswell best box lock for what a GHE 20 in excellent condition would sell for. A best side lock even in a 12 bore will set you back five figures and probably be between an AHE and AAHE depending on condition.

My English guns are in 12, 16 (a two bbl set) and a 20 in hammerless guns and I wouldn't trade any of them. If you have your heart set on a London gun then by all means add one to your collection.
Unread 09-27-2018, 03:38 PM   #22
Kirk Potter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Is their such a thing as a “value” best? I realize value here is subjective obviously, but are their deals to be had? Outside of the big names?
Kirk Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2018, 03:46 PM   #23
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

You can find a very nice best gun from lesser known makers than Purdey, Holland & Holland or Boss.
Unread 09-27-2018, 04:33 PM   #24
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Potter View Post
Is their such a thing as a “value” best? I realize value here is subjective obviously, but are their deals to be had? Outside of the big names?
There are always deals, but it just like Parkers, if it fits and you love, it buy it !
I bought a Boss round action at a steal and I bought a DH Damascus way over market price!

The question is. Does the gun talk to you...................... I have a H&H gun (no a pair!) that just took my soul (and I gave my soul for them ) I love Parker Skeet guns and I have a few but I sold most of my collection to pay for the above mentioned.

They are difference is, I love both, but they are as separate as night and day.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 09-27-2018, 05:03 PM   #25
John Allen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,599 Times in 342 Posts

Kevin is totally correct in saying that American guns were built for utility first.We always have to remember that European guns had the protection of a proof law.They could build a gun to a specific load without worrying about liability.American builders had to look at their gun and say "what is the worst thing some fool can do to this?"and build accordingly.That is why our guns tend to be heavier and more durable.Also,the term "Best" tends to apply to guns built for driven shooting.If you look at English waterfowl guns they are close to our "field" grade guns.
John Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to John Allen For Your Post:
Unread 09-27-2018, 05:45 PM   #26
Bill Mullins
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,069 Times in 169 Posts

Sporting Classics magazine, May/June, 1984, Firearms Column by Herschel Chadick, page 15, Quote: "If I am reincarnated and couldn't be a Parker, I'd want to be a Purdey!"
😊
Bill Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Mullins For Your Post:
Unread 09-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #27
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Potter View Post
Kirk,

Don Amos worked for several years researching English gun values. The values were based on auction results. He built a spreadsheet based on his research. He developed three ways to determine the price for a British gun:

1) Brand Value: how does the market value the name on the gun. A top tier maker (Purdey, Wooward, H&H, and Boss) bring a higher price than a 2nd or 3rd tier maker base on the two other factors being equal.

2) Original Value: looks at how well the gun was originally made. This is usually determined by the action features, engraving, wood figure, fit/finish, and to some edgy the original cost.

3) Current Condition: there are 7 levels to judge a gun on its current state of original finish and repairs.

A second or third tier maker could make a comparable gun to a first tier maker with the same features. On the used market today (and back in the day) would be cheaper based on brand value.

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ken Hill For Your Post:
Unread 09-27-2018, 06:44 PM   #28
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mullins View Post
Quote: "If I am reincarnated and couldn't be a Parker, I'd want to be a Purdey!"
😊
If I were reincarnated as an English double, and couldn't be a Boss, I'd be a Purdey.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 09-27-2018, 07:33 PM   #29
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'd come back as either a Purdey or a Boss but only as a small bore hammer gun. Why? Because they are just plain cool
Unread 09-28-2018, 07:31 AM   #30
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

If I owned DuBray’s 3 barrel set, Parker Hammer Pigeon Gun that’s going up for Auction at Morphy’s , would NOT trade it for a matched pair of English “best” Bentley Coupe and a tall blonde English girl to drive me from Grouse shoot to Grouse shoot.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post: