Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 06-17-2018, 07:56 AM   #11
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,247 Times in 1,227 Posts

Also, by 1900 clays had pretty much replaced live pigeons.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2018, 08:30 AM   #12
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,247 Times in 1,227 Posts

That's not to say that they weren't still shooting live birds in the early 1900's but inanimate targets were becoming the preferred target. A shortage of live birds and a changing public opinion had begun to change the tide. The last Grand American Handicap at Live Birds was held in 1902. The first Grand American Handicap at Targets was held in 1900.

April 11, 1891, American Field: “An Ornithological Discovery. - Boston, Mass. - Editor American Field:- The following from the Portland Daily Press in reference to the new law in Maine for the prevention of pigeon shooting, will prove, I am sure, of great interest to your scientific readers, and possibly to trap shooters. A new species does not turn up every day in the week, and we must make the most of it when we get the chance.
‘We presume the intention of the framers of the law against pigeon shooting was not merely to put a stop to the shooting of pigeons, but also to prevent trap shooting of every kind in which live birds are used. Unfortunately, however, they specified pigeons and pigeons only, so that any other kind of bird may be used without violating the letter of the law. In a “shoot” which took place recently in this vicinity Peoria blackbirds were substituted for pigeons, and though the performance was just as barbarous a one as it would have been had pigeons been used, and just as contrary to good moral, still the law as it stands does not touch it. The law should be amended so as to cover all trap shooting in which live birds are used, no matter what their species.’
While some of your readers may possibly subscribe to our Portland brother’s ethics, they will hardly venture to do as much for his ornithology. This is a sad world, but in spite of the cruel treatment which Quiscalus versicolor Peoria experienced in Maine, it looks as though he had come to stay. Thos. Gradgrind.”

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Unread 06-17-2018, 08:48 AM   #13
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

Cruelty to "Peoria Blackbirds" is a sad state. Today I'm going to exhibit cruelty to White Flyers at our annual father's day shoot.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 06-18-2018, 10:11 AM   #14
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,228 Times in 1,200 Posts

Here's a cut taken from the American Field newspaper of the 22 gents who shot straight (25/25) to qualify for the miss-and-out shootoff at the 1901 Live Bird GAH. Sorry the size/quality of this AF pic copy isn't the best when you expand it. Picture was taken on April 13, 1901, and was no doubt supplied by Interstate to the sporting journals. As it turned out the next day, the Live Bird GAH winner was Griffith who fielded a Parker. 2nd place Morrison with a Winchester. 3rd and 4th places were also taken by Parkers, Bennett and Barto respectively.

Some time ago I bought an original silver albumen picture of this scene with the photographer's logo and names of the shooters by row and place inscribed on its matting. It was spotted in a gallery near Philly and I recognized the grouping and ran to get it the next day. It's probably the only original picture of the straights extant and I keep it in a dark/humidity controlled vault. But with that said I often take it to SxS events in the east and if anyone wants to see the original, let me know where and when and I'll let you know if I plan to be there. The clarity of this original picture is absolutely amazing due to that silver albumen photo process and when digitized I can see the weave in Ansley's sweater and the detail of the pigeon pin on his cool hat (front row, 4th from left). Also that the gent standing behind and to the right of him is wearing pinstriped pants. In case someone wonders, I won't post copies of this original picture or of the individual shooters/places as it would be so easy for gents to copy, and next I know I'll see them for sale on E Bay etc.

This may the only original picture of Ansley H Fox that's been found. Some day I'll figure out what to do to keep it honest for posterity. Just about the end of an era with the "Who's who" of Live Bird champs in 1901.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AF 4.13.1901.jpg (72.9 KB, 46 views)
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 06-18-2018, 10:18 AM   #15
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Is there a way to sell prints?
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2018, 10:23 AM   #16
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,228 Times in 1,200 Posts

Ed, I've been trying to figure out a way to do that without making it easy for others to duplicate once they get a super good copy of all 22 shooters or of one of them in particular. Actually I have a 8 x 10 glossy of Ansley in my game room. Someone suggested I "colorize it" which can be done with special software but I haven't investigated that as yet. A few other ideas were put forth on the Fox site a while back and any ideas here would be appreciated. I ran this past my wife's IP attorney and he has to be ok with a copy concept but so far we haven't come up with a reasonably secure way to do that.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #17
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,761 Times in 1,245 Posts

Fred Gilbert (1865-1928) was one of the world’s best known shooters from 1895-1915 and used a L.C. Smith to win the DuPont World’s Pigeon Shooting Championship in 1895 and the “E.C.” Inanimate Target Championship Cup in 1896. The “Fred Gilbert Specifications” were for a drop at comb of 1 3/8 inches; at the heel, 2 inches; length from trigger to heel, 14 1/4 inches; trigger to toe 14 1/2 inches; and trigger to center of butt 14 inches; with a full pistol grip and 30-inch full choke barrels.
Gilbert used his Smith in the 1899 GAH then switched to a Parker. Order Book No. 41 records BH SN 83855 placed into stock in January, 1896 consigned to Fred Gilbert. The stock book lists a D5 hammerless, 0 extras, straight stock,12 gauge, 30” barrels, Gun count No. 482, Damascus barrels.
Toward the end of 1901, Gilbert received his new Parker DH SN 103649; no dolls head, no ejectors, 32” barrels, ordered by Russell Klein, Gilbert’s brother-in-law and also from Spirit Lake
https://books.google.com/books?id=rk...&pg=PA1012&lpg
The gun was returned to Parker Brothers in 1903 to be refurbished.

Hunter Arms records show the following guns shipped to Harvey McMurchy (courtesy of Dr. Jim Stubbendieck):
Serial No. 695: No. A1 12 gauge 32-inch; 14” LOP - 1 3/4” DAC - 3” DAH; 7 lb 12 oz; October 3, 1891
Serial No. 4524: Pigeon E, Non-selective trigger; 12 gauge 32-inch; 14 1/4” - 2” - 3 1/4”, 7 lb 14 oz; September 8, 1900

Last edited by Drew Hause; 06-19-2018 at 11:01 AM..
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 06-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #18
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

The Interstate Association organized the first Grand American Handicap at Live Birds, under Revised Hurlingham rules, for spring 1893. Twenty-one shooters paid $25 to compete.
In 1894, first place was awarded $500 and guns were limited to 12 gauge and 8 pounds.

The 1898 “Trap Shooting Rules” by the American Shooting Association (courtesy of Randy Davis) listed the following rules:
Charge of powder was unlimited
Shot was limited to 1 1/4 oz. by “Dixon’s measure”
Weight limit (there was no weight limit in 1890 or 1893) and ‘naked’ was not stated:
10g - 9 lbs. 4 oz.
12g - 8 lbs. 4 oz.
16g - 7 lbs. 12 oz.
20g - 7 lbs. 8 oz.

Sporting Life
John L. Lequin. secretary of the Interstate Association, writes us under date of Feb. 25, 1898 as follows:
“We have received inquiries from most all directions recently from a number of shooters who are probably desirous of entering the Grand American Handicap next month, concerning the weight of guns, and whether the handhold and recoil pad will be counted as a part of the gun when weighed. The subject has been placed before the Tournament Committee of the association, which committee has decided that the guns will be weighed naked.” ("Naked" was without a "boot" or barrel guard)

The Baker Gun Quarterly, Volume 5, No. 3, May 1900 had an article on the weight of Trap/Pigeon guns used by Capt. A.W. Money (8 pounds - Money used a Greener, Smith, and Parker), C.W. Budd (7 pounds 14 ounce Parker), H.D. Bates (winner of the 1900 GAH at Live Birds; 7 pounds 13 ounce Parker), R.O. Heikes (7 pounds 15 ounce Parker but after the GAH at Live Birds he went back to his Remington hammerless and won the 1900 [1st] GAH at Targets), J.S. Fanning (7 pounds 15 ounce Smith), W.R. Crosby (7 pounds 12 ounce Baker), and Col. A.G. Courtney (7 pounds 14 ounce Remington CEO).
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Unread 06-19-2018, 05:02 PM   #19
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

L.C. Smith Pigeon Gun

1894 Chas. Godfrey, N.Y. courtesy of Dave Noreen; illustrated with safety

1910 Norvell-Shapleigh, St. Louis; again with safety. At that point Hunter Arms described the gun as "Pigeon Gun", not "Pigeon Grade"

which is not to say "No Safety" could not be ordered. The two piece tang was discontinued about 1910, but found on guns as late as 1915

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Unread 06-19-2018, 05:11 PM   #20
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

1904 ad for the C.E.O. Trap Gun. The 1904 Touring UMC Squad, included T. A. Marshall, Captain; R. O. Heikes, C. W. Budd, J. L. Head. T. E Hubby, W. H. Heer, J. T. Anthony, F. C. Riehl and E. D. Fulford; assisted by Frank Butler, shot in 65 Southern Cities. The first five broke the five-man squad world's record by a score of 488X500 at Palestine, Texas.

March 2, 1907 "American Field" courtesy of David Noreen. The Remington C.E.O. and F.E. were both referred to a "Trap Gun"

The Following User Says Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post: