Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Browning Legia Gun Oil
Unread 09-19-2022, 09:33 PM   #1
JWH
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Browning Legia Gun Oil

I was curious if anyone has any experience using Browning Legia gun oil / spray ?

I was recently watching a cleaning tutorial by the owner of Longthorne Gunmakers and he really was going to town with it about the 6:30 mark and mentions its oiled wood finish safe.

https://youtu.be/IVnql6d97eE
Joel Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2022, 11:32 AM   #2
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,415 Times in 952 Posts

Longthorne's look pretty slick
Unread 09-20-2022, 11:37 AM   #3
JWH
PGCA Member

Member Info

I would love to demo a Longthorne. They have one piece monoblock barrels and recently made a set out of titanium to test with.
Joel Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joel Hackett For Your Post:
Unread 09-27-2022, 08:57 PM   #4
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

Never heard or saw of the Legia brand gun oil, but I sold a nice cased Browning A-5 Euro manufacture (e.g., sling swivels and straight stock) 12 ga. years ago that had included with the case a 5-pack of Legia rifled slugs (probably for Euro boar hunting).

They were very similar in design to the later manufactured Brenneke slugs in that the slugs had external rifling lands on the slugs themselves. Very accurate; so much so that no less than several independent reviewers recommended both Brenneke and Legia as the most accurate slugs for deer hunting out of the Ithaca Model 37 Deerslayer version with iron sights and standard 26" barrel.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2022, 10:13 PM   #5
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,347 Times in 673 Posts

Never used it, and the product seems to me to be more of a cleaner than an oil, and the gunsmith uses it as such. After liberal spraying he blows the mechanism with compressed air and wipes up what becomes visible on the exterior of the gun.

I would think that forced air would drive some of that dirty slurry further into the gun.

Although he rejects the practice of applying grease where moving parts bear on metal at one point, saying that the substance will hold particles and can become a deleterious grinding paste, later he doesn't let a "foolish consistency" keep him from applying grease to an ejector spring.

He's a professional, but some would question his saying that engine oil is as good as a gun oil, as do not engine oils have some corrosive agents to simultaneously clean and lubricate? (The interviewer does sound taken aback with what he says about the suitability of engine oil.)

Thanks for the link, and I enjoyed watching and am always interested in the subject of cleaning technique and what adherents say about their preferred products.