Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 02-12-2011, 06:06 AM   #21
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

We have more bob's than ever and there is a lot of spraying around here. not that i think spraying is the greatest thing. the idiots worry more about cow poop than spary i know witch i would rather have on me. yup i need spell check Dean ch
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #22
David Hamilton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Fire ants have been moving slowly north and did not reach S. Carolina until the 1960's.
David
David Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #23
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,551 Times in 504 Posts

Smile

We have alot of quail here in Idaho.I live on the edge of a small town with 4 ponds behind my house.as the new subdivisions build there new homes and the people move in they bring the biggest killer of quail the dreaded feline. I would have upwards of 100 quail coming in to feed every evening but now you may see 8 or 10. They haven't all been killed but have just moved a little further down the river valley. I could drive out just a couple miles and take pictures of coveys of 30 to 50 birds right now. I have to be careful about shooting the dreaded felines for two reasons. If the homeowner reports you they come and want to take all your guns and I live right next. to the Governor so the sound of gun fire probably would be reported. Have a great day Thomas L. Benson Sr.
Thomas L. Benson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #24
Bill Faulk
Banned

Member Info

The domestic cat kills for the joy of it,not for food as wild species do.
These killers can be "relocated" with the help of a varmit trap and a big sack.
Drop them off at the Governor's back door...
Bill
william faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #25
Mike McKinney
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

But that would be Thomas' back door as well.
Mike McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike McKinney For Your Post:
Unread 02-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #26
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

felines are probably a quails nitemare...when man goes into birds or animals turf they usally get the worst end of it....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #27
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,551 Times in 504 Posts

Smile

Charlie: I was almost a meal for a really big kitty-cat about 10 yrs ago here in Idaho but thanks to my hunting partner he missed out on his meal. I had not been around this type of prey before and they are very good hunters. Thomas L. Benson Sr.
Thomas L. Benson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #28
Buddy Harrison
PGCA Member

Member Info

I think Jent is on the money with his theory. When I was a teenage quail hunteer, (early 60's) we had lots of quail in Georgia and no fireants. Now we have plenty of fire ants and no quail. I watched a report on a nature tv show recently that involved a situation in Oklahoma. Seems that a certain species of song bird had almost disappeared from an area near Ft. Sill. Surveillance cameras were set up to cover several nests containing unhatched eggs. As soon as the eggs hatched, the newborn chicks were covered in fire ants and of course immediately killed. If that can happen in a nest in a tree, a quail doesn't have a chance. In Georgia and elsewhere in the south (and probably in other areas) fire ants are completely out of control. Drive by a field that has been recently burned over and the fire ant mounds are so numerous they look like an indian village. Too bad our government and the various quail organizations can't seem to muster the effort necessary to have an effect on the populations.
Buddy Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #29
TNR
Forum Associate

Member Info

In all fairness - regarding quail - 40 years ago there was a lot in the way of good habitat and few, if any, planted loblolly pulpwood pine stands. The death of the small farm, and its small fields with hedgerows, and the conversion to pine plantation has removed most of our good habitat. Fire ants of predators - can't have bobs without good habitat.
Tom Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #30
TNR
Forum Associate

Member Info

In my area, once pine moved in quail dwindled quickly. I do well in some but it usually has to do with those cut-overs distance from agriculture and other habitat that is reliable year-in and year-out.

We have many, many issues facing gentleman Bob and the only fact we can agree on is that he has a sad future and little is being done to remedy that.
Tom Roller is offline   Reply With Quote