Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Back at Cabin #6 Somewhere in the Northwoods
Unread 10-23-2021, 08:04 AM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,944 Times in 3,169 Posts

Default Back at Cabin #6 Somewhere in the Northwoods

I've been reading the threads of Harold, Shawn, and Dean with great interest. This precious time in our grouse woods and prairies is the focus of the entire year. Elaine and I are ending our first week in Cabin #6 in Northern Minnesota, our 34th year of coming here.

Like the weather Harold has experienced, we had gorgeous -- but too warm -- days to begin our trip. We have been finding birds when we hit the good cover, and the dogs, especially Aspen, who is going into his 3rd year, are having their chances.

We've been revisiting our tried and true coverts, but also searching out new spots this year. Some have proven to be keepers, while others have provided a good walk through poor cover. When I look at my shooting journal, I note that my flush counts reflect a good year, if my shooting skills don't reflect well on me. The first day I made some good shots and was feeling pretty smug, but Ole Mr. Grouse put me in my place pretty quickly. Such is grouse hunting.

When you've been coming to a place as long as we have, you can't help but reflect on the effects of time. On one particularly beautiful evening as we walked out of the woods, the time when your bones ache from the day's miles, but you're fulfilled with the splendor of the hunt, I thought about this place over the course of the 30-plus years we've been tramping its swamps and sand hills. The clean, balsam-scented air was the same, the aspen glowing in the afternoon sun were the same, as was the large rising Woodcock Moon. I was the thing that had changed, hopefully for the better in my appreciation of this place. Yes, I have some miles on me and can't bust the brush like I used to, but I think I appreciate things all the more for the years of experience. I know that others of you, long in the tooth as am I, will understand that the hunt is about so much more than shooting (in my case "at") birds.

Good hunting to all!

Key to the photos:

1. The first afternoon, hot, but gorgeous, suckered me into thinking I was a good shot. Here is my third bird (from my third shot) of the only hour we hunted this day, taken with my 26 inch 1904 vintage DH 16. I'm glad that Reggie and Randy have not discovered the delights of the Parker 26 inch barreled guns. We'll break out another 1904 gun next week to see if we can blood it in good fashion. Stay tuned.

2. Elaine and I have some coverts we revisit just to see old friends, like this sentinel virgin pine. I wonder often what transpired for this regal tree to have been left by the loggers.

3. I like photos of points. What hunter owned by a pointing dog doesn't? Photos of points are hard to come by in the thick grouse woods, but this one seems to sum up much of the experience -- cover so thick it's hard to maneuver through it, much less get a shot off.

4. I often think of the gentleman -- and I know he must have been one -- who ordered this Parker back in 1904. I can't thank him enough.

5. The Huntmaster (Mistress?), Elaine, without whom none of this happens. She plots the course with her map reading (now done electronically -- when we can get a signal), and she is the best, darned "kennel boy" this side of the Mississippi (the source of which is not too terribly far from here). I am blessed to have the best hunting partner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9735.jpg (554.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9760.jpg (525.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9802.jpg (513.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9739.jpg (516.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9778 2.jpg (558.6 KB, 13 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2021, 10:58 AM   #2
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,514 Times in 1,383 Posts

Excellent as always Garry. Wonderful writing and photos! I happen to have two 26” guns and I can’t find a thing lacking with either! Enjoy the uplands and your upland Parkers!
Unread 10-23-2021, 11:56 AM   #3
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,544 Times in 1,000 Posts

Beautiful photos and words. I was lucky enough to put up 9 grouse yesterday in upstate NY, but with all the leave saw only one. Walked for 4 hours and a 26" 16VH on an 0 frame is quite the gun to carry. Without birds it's just a joy to carry. I find the 26" barrel perfect for grouse and woodcock so I'm with you on that one.
Unread 10-23-2021, 12:04 PM   #4
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Garry,
I really look forward to your Minnesota trip and pictures, we are both so lucky to have "dog loving wives". Going 3 for 3 is quite a feat in itself, that should get a star next to the days hunting in your journal Our weather here today is almost perfect, cloudy skies, just a hint of a breeze, and temps in mid 40's. We took cash out today, one of my wifes spots, and sure enough cash found grouse. I am feeling pretty spry this morning, so I might take him out again for a short hunt. Please keep the pictures coming, all you guys that post pictures in here is just such a joy for my wife and I to look at.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 10-23-2021, 01:13 PM   #5
Bruce Hering
PGCA Member

Member Info

Gary: Nice work.... The pics are great. Looks like the short barrel 16 works great for you. I am going to give my 26" Lefever a chance when the woodcock finally get here if I can walk a bit.
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
Bruce Hering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Hering For Your Post:
Unread 10-25-2021, 08:37 AM   #6
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks for the comments. We have pretty poor internet connections, so I'm slow to post.

We finished up week one of our trip with some of the most beautiful weather we've had in years. Our first days here were 40+ degrees warmer than last year's snowy-cold deep freeze. Bird numbers are good. Checking my notes, we had a flush rate of about 3.5 birds/hour. When you consider that we spent time searching out new coverts (which just as often turned out to be poor), the flush rates don't quite reveal a clear picture of the bird numbers. Teasing out the good cover coverts results in a flush rate of over 7 birds/hour. When you consider that we walk in on a trail and then walk it back out, it makes the rate even higher if you don't count the cover you just hunted. In any event, I'm happy with 3.5 flushes/hour.

This coming week promises at least one day of rain, and shifting temperatures. We took one day off last week to try to limber up my bad back -- I'm channeling Ed Norman, I guess -- and sore legs, and will look forward to a "rain day" this coming week. The trip is about all of the experiences, and I've come to appreciate the time in the Cabin with the dogs and our excursions into the local towns as much as the actual hunting (well, almost as much).

A new gun will start the week -- need I say it will be a Parker -- and we have plans to revisit some coverts we've not seen in a while. There has been a great deal of new clearcutting in the area, a good sign for the future. Elaine and I are pondering if we'll be still able to tramp the bush when those new cuts are prime. I'm planning on it, but I never take our trips for granted and try to treat each day as the jewel it is, here with Elaine and the dogs in Cabin #6.

I hope everyone's season is starting off well.

Key to the photos:

1. One of the many marvelous things about rural America is the chance to see what her citizens are up to away from urban sprawl and clutter. We often stumble upon "country artists" far from the nearest gallery. We were fortunate enough to catch the artist here as he picked up his mail. We had a nice chat with the retired welder who lives back in the woods, enjoying life. We discussed the deer herd, the weather, out-of-state hunters...but not politics(!). Sometimes I feel like we've engaged in a civil war -- urban v. rural -- for many years. Those of us who are able to live in the country have a different point of view often times, and you seldom see it portrayed in popular media.

2. There's a lake just up from the Cabin that holds some special appeal to swans, and this year we have seen more than ever before. What you see here is only about a fifth of what the lake held this day. Quite a sight.

3. Our last hunt on Saturday was on a trail we'd not visited in many years. It is usually occupied by duck hunters, as it ends at a lake with good shore access. We did not flush many birds, but did have a great point by Aspen from which the DH did its job. When we got to the lake, we found a duck shack replete with all the trimmings -- boats, decoys, etc. I'm standing here at the hunters' landing. It kind of makes a person want to be a duck hunter to be able to hunt a place like this.

4. There's a Gordon Setter on point here, if you can see him. This bird flushed too far out and offered no shot. The birds have really learned to run as I'm sure all grouse hunters know, and getting to them in the thick cover is difficult. Just as it should be.

5. There's a magical moment after a hard frost when the Aspen drop their golden leaves. Soon they will turn brown, but for a short time, the streets of heaven, at least heaven for grouse hunters, are paved with gold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9839.jpg (544.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9862.jpg (548.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9885 2.jpg (549.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9757 2.jpg (572.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9832 2.jpg (563.7 KB, 2 views)
Unread 10-25-2021, 10:36 AM   #7
Joe from MO
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,123 Times in 422 Posts

Very cool, headed to MN next year for a walleye & grouse trip. Will be my first attempt at grouse. :-)
Unread 10-25-2021, 09:51 PM   #8
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Garry,
Simply marvelous as always. Joe from MO, I wish you the best on your grouse adventures. I hope you get at least one somewhat clear shot I have decided that our grouse around here must be 20 years old, they know every trick in the book, it doesn't matter if its one or 2 hunters, they are so elusive. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 10-26-2021, 08:21 AM   #9
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Sheerin View Post
Very cool, headed to MN next year for a walleye & grouse trip. Will be my first attempt at grouse. :-)
Hey, Pat, I assume you have your destination already chosen, but if not, let me know and I can tell you about the area we hunt. We've been to other spots in MN as well. Not sure when you are going, but if possible we could meet while you are here. I don't have any experience on the fishing around, but years back, my parents came with us and hired a guide to take them for walleye. I believe they fished Island Lake near Northome, but there are lots of lakes that have good fishing.

If you've not been to the North Woods, you are in for a treat. I would recommend reading Gordon MacQuarrie before you go -- not for how-to tips, but to get a real sense of the North Country. There are some wonderful recordings (by a great reader!) of some MacQuarrie stories. Listen on the drive up and you will be all primed for the North Woods.
Unread 10-26-2021, 08:25 AM   #10
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Norman View Post
Garry,
Simply marvelous as always. Joe from MO, I wish you the best on your grouse adventures. I hope you get at least one somewhat clear shot I have decided that our grouse around here must be 20 years old, they know every trick in the book, it doesn't matter if its one or 2 hunters, they are so elusive. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Ed, not to start a rumor but I heard from a friend of a reliable source that your DNR trapped grouse from the area we hunt and released them in your coverts. So, your birds are the same strain we hunt here. Sorry, but they all have PhD.s in Escapeology.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: