Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

CZ Bobwhite
Unread 04-20-2023, 11:35 AM   #1
Dylan Rhodes
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default CZ Bobwhite

Hey everyone,

I'm fairly certain this won't fit into the "fine doubles" category, but I was wondering if any of the fine group members here happen to delve into some lower quality guns occasionally? Specifically, if anyone has some insight into the CZ bobwhite G2? Being of young age and good health I maintain a smattering of what I call "replaceable" guns alongside the older collectables, for those times I know I'm headed to hunt in a right proper mess of cover or a terrible weather day. These guns tend to take on some disproportionate cosmetic wear as you might imagine. Anyways, I have some Cabela's card points burning a hole in my pocket. Since the quality of just about everything in that store has seemed to go down the toilet and I am afraid to buy anything, I have nothing to spend them on, so the CZ caught my eye. Yes, they sell vintage guns in the used section, but it seems I could wait a millennium for something reasonably priced in that regard from them.
Dylan Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2023, 05:55 PM   #2
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,071 Times in 418 Posts

I owned one, didn't care for it, it was the original version though.

I also bought one in 28 ga, that shot a good 8" to the left of POI... Sent it back after getting full refund.... Owner at my gun club, says he's seen a lot of issues with the CZ's and their support not so good.

Personally, I'd look around for a nice Smith & Wesson elite, I bought one of those, head and shoulders about the CZ guns. Made by Akus, the one good Turkish builder that I am aware of.....

There is a 20ga on GB right now up for auction, it's sitting at $1k right now... Might be worth keeping an eye on it. After that, the FAIR Iside basic would be another gun to consider.

Personaly, I steer cleer of the CZ guns.

SW Elite, I have no relationship to this seller, no idea on them. But, really happy with the Elite I picked up.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/982455780
Unread 04-20-2023, 05:57 PM   #3
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,071 Times in 418 Posts

If they have some of the dickenson SxS's, they are same gun as the SW Elite, realizing you are wanting to burn cabelas bucks...
Unread 04-20-2023, 06:11 PM   #4
Brett Trimble
PGCA Member

Member Info

I had a 28ga CZ and a friend had another. Used as “expendable” shooters in Mex. Both went “bang” and quail died. Not the most beautiful, the hard chrome “case colors” can flake as I understand it - I didn’t have a problem.

Brett
Brett Trimble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brett Trimble For Your Post:
Unread 04-20-2023, 07:09 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

try a stevens model 311 American made and will last a life time of heavy use...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 04-20-2023, 07:43 PM   #6
Dollar
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,072 Times in 349 Posts

I have several ringneck CZ's and have shot both 1000's of rounds.I have several clients that also have shot a fair amount.I have never had an issue with any and both shoot where I aim.The 410 and 28 I have get a good workout every season.They are probably 10 years old with me now.
Bob Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2023, 08:33 PM   #7
Dylan Rhodes
Forum Associate

Member Info

All good comments so far. Thanks everyone. I’m not really caring for longevity honestly, I’ll give it the same care and love I give the rest of my guns but if the quality isn’t there and it’s kapoot in 10 years or less of brush crawling and downpours, you get what you pay for and i didn’t sully a collectible. What is Important is that it shoots straight, so thanks for that, I’ll be sure to pattern it immediately.
Dylan Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2023, 09:49 PM   #8
matt koepnick
PGCA Member

Member Info

hey Dylan. have also owned several cz's . all were the ringneck variety. my last one is the new version ringneck with 30 inch bbls. it's an improvement over the earlier ones i had. all lasted at least 10 years or so with lots of shooting. no issues with any of them. newer oner have a flame hardening color added. seems to be a more durable finish than previous set up. so far no wear on coloring in the last 2 years of shooting and duck hunting. my only pet issue with my ringneck is it has only a single trigger.. plus as a 12 it uses standard beretta mobil choke system. my extended ones fit nicely. all steel shot compatable.
matt koepnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2023, 12:29 PM   #9
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,415 Times in 952 Posts

A guy in our gun club had one. About 25 rounds in I think the barrel lug broke off. They ended up giving him a new gun but it was a hassle. I don't think he's had an issue since. I'd get a Trojan that's worn. That'll be good for a few hundred more years.
Unread 04-22-2023, 08:56 AM   #10
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,246 Times in 1,201 Posts

Dylan asked about the CZ Bobwhite G2 (Gen 2) that's head and shoulders above earlier Bobwhites that as I understand were made with parts sourced from a cooperative/multiple locations in Huglu, Turkey. CZ invested in CNC machinery in a modern dedicated factory and the Gen 2's I've seen and handled were well made and shot well. In particular the Bobwhite G2 "Project Upland" version in 28 or 20 gauge is an excellent Upland adaptation with side plates and better wood, along with 28" barrels, flush choke tubes, double triggers, extractors, straight grip stock with so-called modern dimensions and longish LOP. The barrels have a high and wide rib that creates a very distinct sighting plane. The PU version was a limited run and has now been discontinued starting 2023 but NIB guns can still be found hit and miss on GB, GI, etc. Lastly, pricing won't break the bank and you get a good factory warranty.

My advice is to put aside any cavalier thoughts and take an objective look at a CZ Bobwhite G2 smallbore if you get a chance.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post: