Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Old Adage
Unread 09-30-2021, 11:00 PM   #11
Will Gurton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Old Adage

Some of this discussion reminds me of an Older Well Respected and Very Successful Dog Trainer I knew when I was running an early Hunting Retriever Club here in TN.

He would always say, "Son every dog Breaks. Some just haven't yet!"

I believe that adage is also sage advice on shotguns.

Shoot well and often and pray you dog doesn't break!

Will
Will Gurton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Will Gurton For Your Post:
Unread 10-03-2021, 05:35 PM   #12
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,772 Times in 2,352 Posts

Here are pictures of the gun in question --

52215 02.jpg

52215 05.jpg
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2023, 09:19 PM   #13
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,718 Posts

Frank is absolutely right. The 31 is prone to a failure to feed. As I posted earlier, it is because the gun is not pumped aggressively enough and doesn't release the next shell from the magazine. This fault goes away with experience, not neccesarily with wear on the gun. With the 31, you can't be hesitant in your pumping. It is a trait of the gun, and can't be solved by gunsmithing. Again, Frank is right, the Model 12 doesn't suffer from this problem.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 05-29-2023, 05:07 AM   #14
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,718 Posts

I didn't realize that this was such an old thread.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2023, 01:33 PM   #15
Alfred Houde
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

There are a few shotguns in the collection of the National Museum of the Marine Corps with the Ordnance Bomb and Inspector initials. Some are actual "riot guns" while some were purchased for recreational use. If I recall, there were 2-3 different Remington Model 11's in 12 gauge so marked and the artifact records mentioned that they came to the museum from the base trap and skeet range. I also remember seeing both plain, and checkered stocks on them. There is also an L.C. Smith Single-Barrel Trap Gun with USMC recreational services markings stamped onto the barrel. There may be a Model 31, I don't remember.

Roy Marcot wrote in his book that the U.S. Military bought a number of Model 31's for Aerial Gunnery training during WWII. I have no supporting evidence to back it up, but my guess is as follows:

1. Because of the war, Remington provided the contract with the guns/stocks/forearms/barrels that they had on hand. This may explain why some are IC and some are Skeet choked, and some have plain or checkered wood.

2. After the war many of these guns were turned over to bases and ships for recreational shooting purposes.

3. Many firearms were re-built at military arsenals, which may explain the differences in barrels and wood, or barrels/frame or receiver not matching up.

4. Like many military firearms, they get cobbled/assembled up to meet a certain criteria, and some sellers take advantage of this due to people paying crazy prices for U.S. Military firearms.

It could be any of these. Just an opinion.
Alfred Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alfred Houde For Your Post:
Unread 05-30-2023, 08:33 AM   #16
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I owned a 31 in 16 G. Constant fail to feed, finally figured it out, Cheddite hulls, weak rim bent on extraction. Quality hull never failed.

However repeaters that have close tolerances often have trouble with feeding. Rattling 1911 rarely fails, tight target 1911 is fussy. My 31 compared to 870’s & model 12s was much smoother and tighter. 870 loosest of the three never fails to feed.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2023, 01:07 PM   #17
Alfred Houde
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Out of curiosity I checked with the museum regarding if they did have a Model 31. They have one. It is a 12 gauge; with a military type finish; Cylinder choke marked barrel. Plain walnut stock, ribbed type forearm. No Ordnance Bomb, Inspector initials, or any other military stampings. It does have a rack number stenciled onto the grip.

The artifact record only states "Found in the collection," so idea where it came from. Based on the description, it appears to be a Police Special or Riot gun. I doubt that this one was used for aerial gunner training.
Alfred Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2023, 01:48 PM   #18
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,772 Times in 2,352 Posts

In my years in the military, 1968 to 1980, I shot a lot of Cutts Compensator Model 12 Skeet Guns at military skeet fields around the world. The skeet ranges between Subic Bay Naval Station and Cubi Point Naval Air Station, was equipped with Remington Sportsman-48 Skeet Guns. I never saw a Remington Model 31 at any of the ranges I shot at.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 05-30-2023, 01:55 PM   #19
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,415 Times in 952 Posts

I have a 16g 31 that I prefer over all my Ithaca 37's and over any 12 I've every handled. Ball bearing repeater is apt, it's just slick as warm butter on a corn cob. I would take another if I could find one. Never a failure to feed, but then again I've only ever used factory shells.
Unread 05-30-2023, 03:16 PM   #20
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

We had a 31 trap come in the shop recently for I assume cleaning and a new pad .
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CraigThompson For Your Post: