Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Seasons End -- Good days and Climate Change
Unread 01-29-2023, 01:05 PM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,042 Posts

Default Seasons End -- Good days and Climate Change

A hunter hunts many things beyond bag limits.

As our bird seasons end, first in Missouri, followed by Iowa, and then anyplace else we might go for another finale, there is a hope for good days. How do you define a good day? Weather makes a difference. Your best friend in tow. Good dog work. Birds (Oh, let there be birds!). A good gun, and shooting that does it proper justice.

We ended our Missouri season with a couple of days that would certainly meet the criteria for "good day" status. We were also able to sneak a decent Iowa outing into our good day cache. A covey at the very end of a long, muddy walk made everything worthwhile.

Then the snow and cold hit, and we began to think of climate change (no politics here!). A trip to Kansas, canceled earlier because of the prospect of poor weather, came to be at the last minute as we saw a couple of warm days appear in the mystery that is long range forecasting. Long Kansas prairie days in beautiful weather were practically bird-less, and I was thinking our finale would be without a chance. With an hour left in our trip, Aspen, who had been out of action for a couple of weeks with a bad foot issue, came through with a long roading point of a covey of public land Bobs that gave me some chances. His bird work far outshone my shooting, but a bird or two in the hand -- with the our season running out -- is a blessing. It will be easier to face the long off-season with a "good day" in our memory.

For you who still have some time left in your season, good luck. I hope you find some "good days."

Key to the photos for part one of this thread:

1. Our one an only chance at a Missouri rooster came over one of Aspen's last points before sitting out time because of a torn pad. I was not expecting pheasants, so this bird fell to a 20 gauge load of number 8s from a very open-choked right barrel of the little CHE we call "Reggie's Gun".

2. Aspen pins a single from a covey that flushed wild from across the property line onto land we had permission to hunt (it usually works the other way doesn't it?).

3. A wild Missouri end-of-season Bob is a treasure. This cockbird was taken with Reggie's Gun over a point by Aspen. I probably shoot this gun better than any for which I am caretaker.

4. A family of otters surfaced from under the ice on an isolated pond as we walked by. They must have traveled far overland to get here. I'm sure there were no fish left when they moved on.

5&6. While Aspen was out of action, 10 year old Alder got a string of days during which she reminded us of just how good a bird dog she has been, in spite of her wanting to hunt in the next county at times. The second photo shows the single just rising (you can just see it under my arm). Wanting to help make sure this covey would be here next year, it was the only shot I took on this day, although Alder presented us with several nice points.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3354.jpg (516.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3357.jpg (624.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3361.jpg (528.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3379.jpg (563.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3403.jpg (544.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3404.jpg (512.9 KB, 4 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2023, 01:33 PM   #2
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Here is part two of the photos:

1. Singles in the timber are a challenge; like shooting at miniature grouse.

2. Where this timber Bob fell. After struggling to cross the muddy creek, we found our prize, presented as part of a perfect tableau.

3. My two girls on the last day of the Missouri season.

4. Late season thaws present great weather and usually good bird movement, but also treacherous roads and lots of muddy walks. I'd never go down this road unless it was frozen...but there is always a covey in the field to the left.

5&6. After snow and ice hit our home covers, some long days on the beautiful Kansas prairie were restorative, if bird-less. The dogs enjoyed stretching their legs...and the horizon.

7. Finally(!) our chances came late on our last day -- a real beauty.

8. Aspen was completely worn out as he stopped to cool off in the mud on this retrieve of a bird we thought lost.

9. Posing one of our treasures with my "bird gun," a 104 year old DHE 20 with nice 30 inch barrels choked just right for taking wild Bobs over points.

10. How nice for nature, as it so often does, to put on a show to provide a benediction for our season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3411.jpg (491.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3412.jpg (550.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3425.jpg (510.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3441.jpg (546.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3484.jpg (491.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3494.jpg (493.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3527.jpg (565.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3530.jpg (634.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3539.jpg (518.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3544.jpg (465.0 KB, 2 views)
Unread 01-29-2023, 03:13 PM   #3
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,454 Times in 3,381 Posts

Looking good my friend ! I did my last tower shoot of the season yesterday with my reworked Grade 2 10 gauge and have a quail deal scheduled for tommorrow . But other than maybe sitting a stand a day or two the next two weeks for a deer with the 50 cal air rifle I think I’m done until next season . Well unless my BIL invites me to shoot pigeons in the Philippines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 78972D1F-8016-41F4-94C2-B60B0D809B0D.jpg (537.6 KB, 4 views)
Unread 01-29-2023, 03:18 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

great ending...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 01-29-2023, 03:28 PM   #5
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
Looking good my friend ! I did my last tower shoot of the season yesterday with my reworked Grade 2 10 gauge and have a quail deal scheduled for tommorrow . But other than maybe sitting a stand a day or two the next two weeks for a deer with the 50 cal air rifle I think I’m done until next season . Well unless my BIL invites me to shoot pigeons in the Philippines.
There’s dinner for quite a few days! Looking forward to another recipe post.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-29-2023, 03:28 PM   #6
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

A day afield with a beautiful Setter, beautiful country and a fine Parker should define a good day for anyone! Thank you for sharing your season Garry.
Unread 01-30-2023, 11:44 AM   #7
Chris Pope
PGCA Member

Member Info

Beautiful country. Thanks for sharing. ...and for some reason I have knack for missing the last bird of the season...
Chris Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Pope For Your Post:
Unread 01-30-2023, 01:33 PM   #8
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,009 Times in 457 Posts

Beautiful, just beautiful.
Dan Steingraber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan Steingraber For Your Post:
Unread 01-30-2023, 02:03 PM   #9
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,454 Times in 3,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
There’s dinner for quite a few days! Looking forward to another recipe post.
Half of those were given to a friend and the ones I kept will be smoked I think .
Unread 01-30-2023, 02:13 PM   #10
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,771 Times in 2,005 Posts

Great ending to your season!
Mine ended in SoDak last week, a few days earlier than planned due to the snow, but still a success. Already reserved cabin there for next year, same time. UP also reserved for 2 weeks, and planning a second trip back up there in December. Lots of memories to hold us over 'til next fall, thanks for sharing yours.