Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Problem with removing barrel from receiver
Unread 05-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
Joel Gustafson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Question Problem with removing barrel from receiver

First of all I'm really impressed with this website. Very helpful and informative, and I know very little about Parkers.
I recently purchased my first Parker SxS 10 ga, N, 3, Twist, serial # 61068 at an estate sale. I'm pretty excited to add this to my collection. All my current guns are modern firearms. Everything appears to be original. The barrel, receiver, and trigger guard all have same serial # of 61068.

First question: would this be a Trojan? I don't really know how to tell.

Second question and my big problem: How do I remove the barrel from the receiver? I know, stupid question, but I just can't get the barrel from the receiver. I own many o/u and sxs shotguns and have never had this problem. The gun breaks open and locks up just fine. I've removed the forearm, and when I try to remove the barrel it just won't come off the receiver. I've even tried it with the safety both on and off thinking that might be it, but still no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Joel Gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,990 Times in 4,809 Posts

Your gun is not a Trojan. It is an NH grade, which is identical to the PH grade except in the ten gauge. It is as listed in the Parker records if it has 32" barrels. The "3" is the frame size. The first step to attempt to remove the barrels is to dry fire the gun with the forearm off, then attempt to remove the barrels. Try this several times before you give up and go to step two. When the barrels come off, lubricate the cocking slide which will be visible in the slots where the barrels fit. The "hook" you see attached to the barrel lug contacts the slide and will not release if the slide does not move freely. If dry firing the gun does not release the hook, let us know.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Joel Gustafson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill, thank you for the information. I will try what you suggested when I get home tonight. I will let you know if I was successful in removing the barrel after the dry firing. Also, thanks for the info as to what model Parker I just purchased. I haven't shot the gun yet as I wanted to dissasemble first and give it a good clean and lube and to make sure it's in shooting condition. I'm pretty sure it is but better safe than sorry.
Unread 05-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
Joel Gustafson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi Bill, I tried the dry firing several times and still couldn't remove the barrels from the receiver. It's being pretty stubborn.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks.
Unread 05-06-2011, 06:00 AM   #5
Smoothebore
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Joel,

With the forend off, you should see a pin pop out just off the end of the frame near the hinge. This is the "cocking hook release pin". It is about 1/8" diameter, and should protrude about 1/4". If it is stuck, then the cocking hook will not release for barrel removal. Try applying some penetrating oil to the pin and work it in and out to loosen up. Don't use a metal object to push it in. Maybe a dowell, or the butt end of a screwdriver. If you can loosen up this pin, it should do it's job and allow barrel removal.

Dave
Dave Purnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,990 Times in 4,809 Posts

Where are you located. Maybe we could recommend someone to help who is close.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,764 Times in 736 Posts

Joel,

Just a word of caution about shooting your Parker. Please don't shoot modern 3 1/2" 10 gauge shells through this old girl. Parkers of that era had 2 7/8" chambers. You can find 10 gauge shells appropriate for your gun at www.rstshells.com and they are great game and clay loads. Most of us reload 2 7/8" shells by cutting down 3 1/2" shells and use Sherman Bell's data. If you are a reloader we will try to get the data to you. I do love my 10 gauge Parkers and hope you enjoy yours as well.

Kindest, Harry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2693.jpg (557.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1598.JPG (96.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1556.JPG (114.7 KB, 10 views)
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Unread 05-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
Joel Gustafson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi Dave,
The cocking hook release pin will move in and out just fine, but the gun barrel still will not seperate from the receiver. I've tried several times and even my neighbor who is an avid shotgun hunter can't get it to seperate either. I appreciate the advice but I think I might need to take it to a local gunsmith who has knowledge of Parker shotguns. Thanks.

Bill, I'm located in Springfield, IL. If you know of any gunsmiths with Parker knowledge in this area I'd appreciate getting their info. Thanks.

Harry,
Thanks for the info on which shells are appropriate for this Parker shotgun. I was not aware of the info you provided so I appreciate the heads up.
barrel removal
Unread 05-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
Gary Cripps
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default barrel removal

A couple years ago I bought a VH 12 that had sat in a closet for the last 50+ years. I could not remove the barrels either. Thats when I found this site. After many suggestions like above someone suggested spraying the hinge area with WD 40 and let stand for several days. I did this with the forearm off and the barrels pointed down. After four or five days I worked the barrels on the hinge a few times and they slid right off. Thats when I found a large hard gob of old grease hardened up like asphalt in the reciever behind the hinge pin. Just another idea. Good luck.
Gary Cripps is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Cripps For Your Post:
Unread 05-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
Joel Gustafson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Gary, definitely worth giving the WD40 treatment a try. I'll let you know if that was it. Thanks for the idea.