Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-21-2015, 06:38 PM   #21
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,931 Times in 4,785 Posts

Craig Larter and a couple of others have mentioned that the first step is to introduce young people to shooting and hunting and then explain to them that there is a "tradition" involved in blood sports. The explanation of the "tradition" is what is the difficult part. Putting side by side shotguns in their hands is the easy part. Sponsoring "side by side" events in sporting clays shoots is another possibility. All of these Ducks Unlimited, Quail Unlimited, and Grouse Unlimited events in our area around Washington, DC have side by side events as sub-events, even if they have to be sponsored by double gun people. Side by side events cause people who want to win "Something" to enter those events. Thanks for posting your suggestions.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2015, 07:16 PM   #22
Parkerman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I have thought about this also. Creating the venues for shooting is part of the solution. The firearm is another. I have a very modest collection and have decided to "gift" my individual guns to persons that I think will enjoy them before I pass on. I will ask them to agree to do the same thing with the guns when their time comes
I figure I will lose some and win more.
Linn Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linn Matthews For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #23
Dollar
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,081 Times in 355 Posts

I have wondered the future of hunting for a few years.Being in the business I have seen several trends that aggravate me.One everyone seems to want to eject shells as fast as they can.Never learning to hit anything before they pull the trigger.And second is not as bad but still bothers me is that people seem to want to hunt in the absolute largest group they can now days.Rarely do I get singles or double hunters any more.Its not cost other than gas to and from.Its more like an attempt at experiencing the outdoors but lets have a party while were doing it.
I have been trying to do my part by buying every sxs I can get my hands on at a good price and using them as loaners instead of the semi autos and pumps I used to use for that.I'll buy every stevens I can and have turned many beginners into sxs fans from the beginning of their new hobby.I'll sell them cheap when asked in hopes of making some new clients with similar interest in guns.Actually sold all my stevens 20ga's during dove season.
Someone said it earlier one or two at a time adds up.
Bob Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Hayes For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2015, 10:18 PM   #24
Frank Allegra
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Side by side events cause people who want to win "Something" to enter those events.
While I agree with this statement I must add that we need to be cautious.

Our local group was started as a group of men & women dedicated to the collection, preservation, heritage, and enjoyment of the side by side shotgun and rifle. Recently it seems that the leaders of this group have become more interested in competition. The old classics are disappearing from the events and are being replaced with more modern or customized guns. Needless to say there has been a decline in the older members that came to the events to talk sxs, check out the displays and enjoy a lunch with their friends.
Frank Allegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2015, 07:36 AM   #25
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,683 Times in 1,644 Posts

All of these post have truth to them, Double guns are addictive and will always be!I collected black guns early on and pistols, My first Parker was a P grade, I was 48 years old, had heard about Parkers, Smiths, etc but they did not interest me, Then 25 years ago my collecting world changed, I studied that P grade, I must have opened and closed it a hundred times shooting at the invisible bird going across my ceiling, I finally had discovered what I had been looking for in a gun, and only realized it when I held that Parker. Yes I finally could afford to buy one now and then, 25 years later, and yes I was late getting into the game, I am a fan! Young people educated the right way will keep the tradition of the old rabbit eared gun in vogue. I also have gifted my sons several Parkers and they now have modest collections. and they are now hooked on double guns,maybe we as the PGCA needs to present a Parker to the youth shooter of the year, each year? Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 03-22-2015, 08:04 AM   #26
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Carmichael Sr View Post
...maybe we as the PGCA needs to present a Parker to the youth shooter of the year, each year? Gary
I couldn't agree more. Engage the young by connecting them with the charm and magic of double guns. And sure. Have a little shooting fun arranged.

But... why re-introduce "competition" into the equation? Double guns are the reward, not the score.

So... why not have a simple drawing for the gun amongst the young shooters? They have to shoot, but they all have an equal chance to own an enchanting double gun. And get hooked!
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 03-22-2015, 08:14 AM   #27
William McClintock
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
I couldn't agree more. Engage the young by connecting them with the charm and magic of double guns. And sure. Have a little shooting fun arranged.

But... why re-introduce "competition" into the equation? Double guns are the reward, not the score.

So... why not have a simple drawing for the gun amongst the young shooters? They have to shoot, but they all have an equal chance to own an enchanting double gun. And get hooked!

I like the idea of a drawing and something for the winner and next 3 or 4 shooters.

What about starting a Parker or American classic SxS youth shooting/instruction/fun group?
There must be places where there enough Parker guys to sponsor such a thing.
William McClintock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William McClintock For Your Post:
Unread 03-22-2015, 08:37 AM   #28
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,063 Times in 1,729 Posts

This is a great discussion gents. My son Danny has been around the PGCA and double guns since he was around 9 years old. He is now a member and is 24 years old. I think Danny enjoy's the people as much as he enjoy's the guns themselves. He was given a Parker that he shoot's by a very gracious member and he cherishes it. He absolutly loves going to grouse camp and bird hunting. After the first hunt he was bitten....also he really enjoys shooting trap with our Parker SC.

All the above posts have very good points to ponder and I think its a combination of all that has been said previously. But the point I am trying to make in my above paragraph is the the great members this organiation has is a draw in itself. Danny enjoy's the life long friendships that have developed as a result of his exposure to the PGCA.

So take a young person under your wing and teach them the wonderful traditions that go along with shooting and hunting with a SxS.
Unread 03-22-2015, 09:06 AM   #29
C grade
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,233 Times in 454 Posts

In my opinion this thread is one of our best ever. Lets take this and turn it into some action. Dean, would you ask each BOD member to please read it.
I would also suggest we create a youth fund and I will seed it with $500. I would also suggest that we have three great candidates for the two open BOD seats and the runner up be asked to become our youth program director. In the Fall SXS shoot I created a team slot for a youth. It was a great hit-How about the Spring SXS? How about a Parker gun for that youth? This thread has shown the commitment of our fantastic membership for a youth program-Lets get it done NOW!
David
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to David Dwyer For Your Post:
Unread 03-22-2015, 09:06 AM   #30
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,364 Times in 4,429 Posts

Dave Suponski just hit an important point. The people. You couldn't ask for a better group of folks
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post: