Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Parker Appraisal
Unread 01-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
Bill Hulbert
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Parker Appraisal

Is there any concensus of the experienced forum members on where the single best place one would send a CHE for appraisal? I'm sure there any number of folks who can give me an appraisal but I only want to do this once and want an appraisal that is as rock solid as one can have.

I apologize if this is not the forum for this question. I will be happy to move it/have it moved. Thanks
Bill Hulbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,359 Times in 12,409 Posts

This is probably the perfect forum for such a question. That, being said, there are a number of places/people who could offer an opinion of value but in the end, only the sell price will establish an actual, indisputable value.
I don't know if they offer such a service but I think James D. Julia's Auctions has been right on on Parker values over the years in their pre-auction catalogs and I would trust their judgement.

Good Luck
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,641 Times in 1,030 Posts

Bill -

Normally I would say send it to my house and I will provide not only an appraisal but a field evaluation as well, but since we are a continent apart; my old Setter is dead, and my aging Lab is on her last legs and postage and insurance across the Great Divide is hefty these days, I will defer. (All foregoing just kidding, of course).

There are so many variables in evaluating Parker Guns that it staggers the mind. The basic "Polar North" of course is "Condition, Condition, Condition. Nowadays the smaller bores rule in terms of dollar value and desireability. Any smallbore graded gun (e.g., G or above) brings a steadily escalating premium over any lesser-graded gun, regardless of gauge. That is, a 16 BHE grade brings more money than a 12 ga (same grade) ; a 20 springs ahead of a 16, a 28 takes a quantum leap over all three, and a .410 BHE makes you switch oxygen tanks (3 are known; 1 is genuine; 1 is "compromised", and one is a bona fide bogus gun). And any CHE is a very desireable gun, provided condition is OK!

The real proof of the pudding in evaluating any gun is to have the gun in hand and some "quiet time" for examining the gun and recording as much info as possible from it. Depending on the gun, this can take anywhere from 10 minutes on a "mint" Trojan Grade 12 ga. (no mysteries) to anywhere from 2 to 3 hours on an exceptional gun.

For example, I spent 2 1/2 hours and made 5 pages of notes with the John Phillip Sousa AAHE Whitworth Steel-barreled Pigeon Gun auctioned buy Alderfers Auction in PA some years ago; the prospective (and final) buyer of the gun spent less than 10 minutes examining the gun before bidding. A very rare Parker and a "closet" gun that had never been offered for sale before; detailed research was and is the key!

As guns ascend in desireability of grade and gauges, a myriad of questions pour out: how are the (case) colors? How is the condition of the wood? Is the stock original? Is the checkering pattern and inletting of the stock correct? Is the grade of the wood in the stock commensurate with the grade of the gun? Is the finish of the stock original? re the dimensions desireable for actual use?

How are the bores? What length are the chambers and do they correspond to the correct period length for that gauge (e.g., before c. 1927-29 you are liable to encounter a great variance in chamber length over gauge; after that, production consistencies in ammunition production more or less determined "standard" chamber lengths in most American SxSs.) Have the barrels been cut? Have the chokes been opened up? Have the chambers been lengthened? ( In this day and age, actually a plus.)

There is so much to know and so few people available (realitively speaking) that can answer a majority of these questions, that I recommend your first move being to get a letter on your gun from the PGCA. If records exist, the letter will provide you with at least a modicum of information. At least that will provide you with a basis of data on which to research your gun further (e.g., compare barrel length, choke, weight and stock configuration as recorded when it left the factory with the current condition of the gun).

Next I would recommend that you take (or have someone take) some clear, closeup digital pictures of your gun and post them on this site so we can look at them. Pay close attention to receiver engraving; stock condition, wood to metal fit, butt treatment; muzzle close ups, and watertable, barrel, and frame markings. This can help tell a great deal about the gun. No one knows it all, but there are a lot of us on this BBS that have looked at a LOT of Parker Guns!

My experience with auction houses has been mostly rewarding so far as the evaluation and sale of fine double guns has been concerned. The more discriminating firms most often have their operatives defer to the individuals possessing the most intimate knowledge of the desireability, rarity, historical significance, and technical importance of collectible firearms (not just Parkers!). These individuals, of course, are the seminal collectors of these guns. Most are not conducive to being approached for individual gun appraisals for obvious reasons (e.g. security; purchase; resale, etc.).

I would encourage you to use this site as a first step in determining the "value" of your gun. There are many of us here that can help you. The "dollars and sense" will come later very naturally.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 01-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,989 Times in 1,427 Posts

Kevin,

Great post on how to value a Parker or any other gun for that matter.

Can you elaborate on your evaluation of the Sousa AAHE Parker? It's the first I've heard of that gun and to think that gun was auctioned off just a few miles down the road where I grew up! Was it owned by a local from that area? Let's face it, Alderfers is not a leading auction house for fine guns. I knew that Sousa was a trapshooter and I've seen his Ithaca SBT in the ATA museum in Vandalia but I didn't know that he owned a Parker AAHE.

Fill us in on a separate post if possible.

Thanks,
Chuck Bishop is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
Gill Frye
Forum Associate

Member Info

I wonder how close this AAHE got to the appraisal value when the gavel fell or did it go over.
Gill Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
Gene Franks
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill, Your reply was very helpful and timely for me. Our family has inherited a Parker 16 GA that everone says has never been fired. I also am trying to determine the value and I will follow your recomendations in posting it to this site.
Gene
Gene Franks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 12:55 AM   #7
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,616 Times in 2,667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Franks View Post
....... that everone says has never been fired..... site.
Gene

Send close up photos of the standing breech.

Always appreciate seeing nice guns. There is a nice one posted under the heading GH 16ga Pristine for comparison.

Last edited by Bruce Day; 02-25-2010 at 08:24 AM..
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Photos of 16 GA
Unread 02-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
Gene Franks
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Photos of 16 GA

Thanks for the fast response on "Has it been fired?"
Attached is a couple of photos I took today. Thanks for your help.
Gene
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Breech -1.jpg (76.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Breech 2.jpg (61.2 KB, 17 views)
Gene Franks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #9
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Gene,My vote is that the gun has been fired...but not much. The reason I say that is that there is a very faint ring on the standing breach and also that the firing pin holes have started to show a little chamfering. The chamfering happens after a only a few(maybe a box or less) shells have been fired in the gun. How about some more pictures of that great gun?
Unread 02-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,359 Times in 12,409 Posts

However, there is a considerable amount of corrosion pitting in the area of the primers.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote