Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 11-22-2021, 07:06 PM   #21
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Davis View Post
Thanks, on 10G I use the arbor press too & imperial die wax.

On trimming to length, 16 & 10 have a couple jigs to trim 4 at a time on the bandsaw no reason same thing would not work 8G.

It’s just a wood block with holes, split with a wing nut to tighten. 4 set up run it through the saw using the rip fence. Thing about the twist and cut trimmers my wrist won’t last long twisting. After sawing the case mouth needs conditioning, do it in the drill press with another shop made tool also convertible to 8 G . Will see if I can find a photo to post

William
Ive seen old Lyman dies for 12 and smaller gauges that look just like this 8 ga die, I guess back in the day this was the style used.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2021, 07:48 PM   #22
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,538 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
I wish they made it in 8 gauge also, now in the UK there is a 2 pin one sold for the 8 ga but they cant export reloading supplies/equipment.
FYI, Milton, Nick Ross (Supplier to The Reloaders Network) has now made an 8ga., 6 pin roll tool. He sent me his first one for testing, and I'm pleased to say it is every bit as good a performer as all his others. The heavier wall Remington hulls roll best, but the thinner Winchester hulls, while not as smooth on the inner rolled edge, are more than satisfactory. The prototype I have is not nitrided, but I would suspect the production tool will be.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 11-22-2021, 07:59 PM   #23
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,538 Times in 3,105 Posts

I forgot to mention, but as you can see, the Nick Ross 8ga. Roll Crimp tool has SIX pins. The loaded shell shown is a 300gr Fg Blank for my Strong Cannon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2017.jpg (385.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2018.jpg (324.3 KB, 1 views)
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 11-23-2021, 02:00 AM   #24
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
I forgot to mention, but as you can see, the Nick Ross 8ga. Roll Crimp tool has SIX pins. The loaded shell shown is a 300gr Fg Blank for my Strong Cannon
That has to be the best roll crimp I have seen on a 8 gauge hull,If it goes into production I would definitely buy one.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 12-23-2022, 11:40 AM   #25
Joe Plante
Forum Associate

Member Info

Guys,
Reading through a bunch of the different threads all you guys are discussing and figured you all might be the best resource to answer some of my questions or give me some advice.
I recently came into possession of a large cache (thousands) of Win 8 ga. Industrial loads (mostly #2, some 00, not sure what's the best thing to do with them. I'd like to salvage the lead, primers and powder out of them for my other reloading endeavors (casting for old Winchester 92's and shot pellet dripping, reloading 12 and 20 ga.) but I also don't want to waste the hulls for someone else that could make use of them. There's also the over-shot cards, fiber wads, sleeve hulls and the cup wads that are likely usable to someone.
I've set up a jig on a small craft saw to cut the roll crimp off the end of the hull trying to minimize the amount of loss but not sure if this the best approach. Any suggestions?

Help me out to make sure I don't commit blasphemy in the eyes of all the experts...
Joe Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Plante For Your Post:
Unread 12-23-2022, 11:52 AM   #26
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,531 Times in 3,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Plante View Post
Guys,
Reading through a bunch of the different threads all you guys are discussing and figured you all might be the best resource to answer some of my questions or give me some advice.
I recently came into possession of a large cache (thousands) of Win 8 ga. Industrial loads (mostly #2, some 00, not sure what's the best thing to do with them. I'd like to salvage the lead, primers and powder out of them for my other reloading endeavors (casting for old Winchester 92's and shot pellet dripping, reloading 12 and 20 ga.) but I also don't want to waste the hulls for someone else that could make use of them. There's also the over-shot cards, fiber wads, sleeve hulls and the cup wads that are likely usable to someone.
I've set up a jig on a small craft saw to cut the roll crimp off the end of the hull trying to minimize the amount of loss but not sure if this the best approach. Any suggestions?

Help me out to make sure I don't commit blasphemy in the eyes of all the experts...
What you aspire to do isn’t as simple as you might think . Well atleast to do it and not trash the hulls etc . Kinda time consuming actually . I go along with saving the hulls , primers and perhaps the shot (however some of or all of the shot may possibly be zinc based) . But as to the powder I’d pour it on the grass , you can’t be sure exactly what it is so how can you reuse it in handloads . Better to be safe and alive versus overly thrifty and maimed or worse .
Unread 12-23-2022, 12:47 PM   #27
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,894 Times in 2,685 Posts

i save odd powders and use them to burn stumps.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 12-23-2022, 12:55 PM   #28
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,297 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Plante View Post
Guys,

Joe,
you may want to hold onto them before taking them apart, I watched a box of 25 Winchester 8 gauge Industrial ammo sell this past Saturday for $650.

I have most of a case of Winchester Industrial ammo myself, my thought was to tear it down for the hulls, primer and buckshot that it is loaded with, but I'm rethinking that.

Stan
Stan Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hoover For Your Post:
Unread 12-23-2022, 01:16 PM   #29
Joe Plante
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'd consider selling a large portion of them I guess, don't have an 8 ga. yet myself. I just didn't want to render the hulls unusable to other guys by cutting the roll crimp off during my salvaging operations. I'm cutting into the hull right at the roll so it's literally just the roll that pops off the end.

Where would a guy offload shells like that anyways? I really have no idea about the whole 8 ga. scene, didn't know they existed unitl about a month ago
Unread 12-23-2022, 01:20 PM   #30
Joe Plante
Forum Associate

Member Info

As far as the powder being unknown, I get that. However, with a potential 60lb haul, determining what the powder is, its characteristics (burn rate, pressure build, density, etc.) is not that difficult to do and would provide me with years worth of usable reloading supply. I've done it many time before and I'll be able to do it in this case, I'm sure.