Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Resizing some "different" 8 gauge hulls
Unread 11-18-2021, 03:07 PM   #1
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Default Resizing some "different" 8 gauge hulls

So I got the idea to experiment with resizing these other Winchester 8 ga shells I just bought , I was bored and figured why not . I wouldnt mind getting a few more of each to reload they are in surprising good shape and would be nice to have a few on hand . The low brass shell is pretty neat it actually resizes probably the easiest of any of the industrial shells I have done. The paper one is a powder sampler shell which I suppose is why its has no factory markings on it . I also bought a orange Winchester hulls as well for no particular reason .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8ga1.jpg (83.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 8ga2.jpg (94.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 8ga3.jpg (74.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 8ga4.jpg (68.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 8ga5.jpg (62.6 KB, 1 views)
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 11-18-2021, 03:08 PM   #2
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Resizes pretty easily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8ga6.jpg (57.6 KB, 1 views)
Unread 11-18-2021, 03:14 PM   #3
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

I removed the shot from the hull before resizing Im always a bit overly cautious when resizing primed hulls anyhow .
Unread 11-18-2021, 07:19 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

all looks good...first time I have seen a orange hull 8 ga......looks like they crimp good to...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2021, 11:19 PM   #5
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
all looks good...first time I have seen a orange hull 8 ga......looks like they crimp good to...charlie
The orange one is a ribbed hull also, dont think ive seen that before on a 8 gauge shell . According to Remingtons website they make a yellow hull also but I have never seen these show up anywhere . I think the paper hulls probably wont have much use trying to reload it looks the only way to remove the crimp is to cut it off which leaves you with a 2 3/4" hull .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg all-shells.jpg (46.8 KB, 2 views)
Unread 11-19-2021, 07:41 AM   #6
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Interesting post, photos add a lot. Do you use the Arbor press in the photo. How about lube. Any on the base when sizing ?

Willam
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2021, 11:07 AM   #7
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Davis View Post
Interesting post, photos add a lot. Do you use the Arbor press in the photo. How about lube. Any on the base when sizing ?

Willam
I use imperial sizing die wax , however I have tested different lubes/oil to see what works. On the Winchester hulls you can size them with just a spray of Rem oil the brass, the Win hulls brass is very workable. Yes I use the one ton arbor press from harbor freight . The Winchester clear hulls read .945" on the brass band before and after resizing .925" . I then turn the die upside down and insert a 3/4" diameter wood dowel and use the arbor press to push it back out doesnt take much effort .

I found a hull trimmer I plan on buying that looks like it could be easily modified to work on 8 gauge hulls . The hull sits on a roller and you just spin it around I think I could easily make a roller for the 8 gauge hulls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spintrim.jpg (17.4 KB, 124 views)
Unread 11-19-2021, 12:42 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

looks like you have all this down pat...boy I rember my first resizeing attempts...I used those old conduit pliars they worked but left the brass hullbent up pretty good...I think I done some for you using the pliars....wayne gorez sent me a detailed blue print of how to make a 8 ga resizer a friend done the machine work I now turn out factory looking hulls...its a one step operation with a press...charlie
Unread 11-19-2021, 01:04 PM   #9
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
looks like you have all this down pat...boy I rember my first resizeing attempts...I used those old conduit pliars they worked but left the brass hullbent up pretty good...I think I done some for you using the pliars....wayne gorez sent me a detailed blue print of how to make a 8 ga resizer a friend done the machine work I now turn out factory looking hulls...its a one step operation with a press...charlie
Yeah Charlie I got some of the black Remington hulls you did with the pliers , does look like the die is much easier to use .

Ive been researching roll crimping and I know alot of people dont like the BPI one but its the only one for the 8 gauge. Though I read it actually works much better if you can run it extremely slow around 60-100 rpms but I couldnt find a drill press that slow. So I came up with a different idea You can buy these reproduction hand crank ones that have changeable heads. I think I could modify it so I could install the 8 gauge roll crimper and the rear part is just a cupped dish which would be easy to fashion one up. Ive read some Mica Wad Slick helps alot on the BPI roll crimper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_3.jpg (85.0 KB, 3 views)
Unread 11-19-2021, 02:08 PM   #10
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

that's a neat crimp roller with all those different heads I have a 8 ga roll crimper like the one you show except much older...also use the ballistic crimper with a drill it makes fair looking crimps...the old roll crimper is much better this is the only old hand crimper I ever ran across in the 8 ga...seen one for a 4 ga but it was expensive let it pass....I got the 8 ga crimper from the Darrel middlebrook estate....charlie