Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Build Date Clarifcation & Other
Unread 08-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
Robert Tarbox
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Build Date Clarifcation & Other

As happens, I have inherited a hammer 12Ga double barrel Parker, and am trying to learn a bit about it. First, it is in poor condition and marks have to be found under rust and gunk. I have determined so far that by serial number,46871, that it was produced around 1875. However, it would seem that by Patent dates also stamped in various places, up to 1878, that Parker would not produce a piece in 1875 and post date patent dates in the future. Does that make sence, or am I missing something. Yes, I am aware that this site mentions that the dates are approximate. If any one could comment on this I would appreciate it.

Further, regarding the barrel weight, I have found on the watertable a 4 with a 5 stamped close up and to the right of the 4. Would that be 4# 5 ozs?

As far as I have determined the gun is a #1 frame and there is a T & H stamed near the barrel weight. Would this be the grades(s) ? The barrel is
32 "

If there is other information that would help in clarifying information, i would be glad to try to find it.

Thanks for any help
Robert Tarbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Your gun was made in 1885. It is listed as a Grade 0 with a straight grip and 32" 12g twist barrels. 4 5 is the unfitted barrel weight. Write for a PGCA Research Letter.
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Kaas For Your Post:
Unread 08-02-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
Robert Tarbox
Forum Associate

Member Info

Don:

Thanks for the reply and the information. Your suggestion regarding the PGCA letter is under consideration. I am debating at this point, just how much capitol to invest in either restoration or preservation. As I mentioned, the piece is in poor condition including a broken stock and heavy pitting, both inside and outside. I don't beleive the gun has been fired since 1916 and has been in an attic in the Carolina low country since. However when it was used, it was used extensivly as there was a lot of photo ducumentation at the time.

Thanks again for your help.

Bob
Unread 08-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,718 Posts

The photo documentation is likely to be worth much more than the gun. The letter is unlikely to shed much light on a 0 Grade gun, but you can't tell without seeing the letter.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
Robert Tarbox
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill:

Thanks for your input. I am having some trouble in getting this post in the system, so please bare with me. I know the piece is not valuable, especially in it's present condition. I have filled out the PGCA form and it will be in the mail tomorrow. I just want to get as much information as I can for historical purposes. The photos I spoke of are of Duck hunting in the low country, early in the last century, where the trophies, hunters and the pieces were on display.

Thanks again for your help in this matter.

Bob
Unread 08-06-2009, 06:33 AM   #6
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,554 Times in 1,095 Posts

Robert; It would be great to see some pictures ! Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 06:43 AM   #7
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

Yeah, if there's any way to post some of the hunting photos we'd all love to see them.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
Robert Tarbox
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for your interest, yes I will post some photos when I get on to how to do this sort of thing. I think I will have to consult with the kids and get a crash course on photo scanning and such.
Unread 08-08-2009, 04:34 AM   #9
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

If you don't have a scanner you can take them to Walgreen's and scan them in there. Then they'll put them on a disk for you to take home. Upload the disk to your computer then save the photos from there into a PhotoBucket account and you're ready to post.

I'm not too computer savvy and I figured it out so it can't be too hard.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #10
David Hamilton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Being from the Carolina Low Country, I would be more than interested in the history of your gun. It is still a hunter's paradise. David
David Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote