Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Parker lifter back in operation and testfiring ?
Unread 04-01-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Parker lifter back in operation and testfiring ?

To show that timing is everything in life. I had posted earlier about the broken part on my lifter and the board was kind of enough to advise I had a broken stirrup link. I had figured that this was certainly beyond my ability to repair because parts for a 130 year old gun are hard to come by. Accordingly, I was prepared to sent the broken lock off to get it back in running order as they say. Also decided there was no chance of getting this fixed in time to tote this beast into the woods during turkey season so there was no real rush.

Decided therefore to troll around for parts, knowing my chances weren't good, but I was in no rush. Wouldn't you know it, less then a week or to after starting to look, the God's of Ebay graced me with the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Careful analysis of the pictures of the right lock being sold on Ebay with my non-functioning right lock in hand seemed to indicate a swap of stirrup locks might be possible.

Knew that I would be was taking a chance on it not working, but was hoping this would save a bit of time as compared to sending the current non functioning right lock off for repair and perhaps ending up held hostage by a gunsmith far too busy to tackle my little (or perhaps big if a part had to be made) project.

Placed my bid (actually quite a bit higher then what I got it for) and won the auction. After having the part for a week (or several) I decided to break out the gunsmithing screwdrivers, pliers, wooden mallets, wooden dowels etc. and give it a go.

Took a better part of an hour to complete the task and there were moments when I said a resounding "Oh Crap" (or something a tad more crude), but I struggled through. The result is things are looking good. Everything is back together now and seems to function correctly.

The next step it to actually fire the beast (something I've never done).

I'd like to give the old girl a go at Turkey's in the upcoming season, but I also value my fingers on my left hand a lot. The gun has some pretty significant pitting in both barrels, but it is on a number 3 frame and weighs over ten pounds (10 lb 3 oz).

I've got some of the RST light 1 1/4 oz 2 7/8" loads which I know are loaded light. Those would be my turkey loads, but I also have some of the more modern Winchester Western 2 7/8" 1 5/8 oz loads factory loads that I'm contemplating as a proof load. Figure to shoot one each of the heavy load in each barrel using the Tire and rope trick that I've seen posted elsewhere on these forums and see what happens. I don't think she will blow up or I wouldn't try it, but I guess there always is that chance.

Option 2 for testing is just shoot the lite RST's for testing and hunting.

Appreciate any inputs on my plan.

PS. Thanks to the board members who sent me information on how to take this think apart earlier. I'm too heavy handed to even think about tackling something more difficult then this, but this gun is strictly a shooter.

Last edited by tom tutwiler; 04-01-2010 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: typo
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Tom,

Congratulations on the find and the repair. I would just shoot the RST shells. Sherman Bell took several dozen wall hangers that no one in their right mind would take afield and ran 18000 psi proof loads through them with no damage to gun. These guns were loose and pitted and rusy, but sound enough to handle a modern proof load. I donated a VH 12 gauge to Sherman Bell to blow up. This was to see if it were as sturdy as the GH Damascus Parker of Dr. Gaddys that he had destroyed. My VH had pitts deep enough for a family of groundhogs to hide and it blew up at the breech @ 31000 psi.

Good Hunting,
Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
thanks
Unread 04-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default thanks

I'll probably try the tire trick for the first one just to give myself a bit of comfort. Be interesting to see how she shoots. I could probably get this back bored to clean it up and tighten up the chokes, but I want to see what she will do at 30 yards first.
Unread 06-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
Mike Poindexter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hey Tom: Do you need that brazed on right hand hammer? I just picked up a Grade 2 toplever on a 2 frame that is missing the right hammer. I would dearly love to buy it from you if you would part with it. Thanks.

Mike
Mike Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,755 Posts

Mike, why don't you just braze on a faucet handle from Home Depot? You could braze another one on the other side to match. This hammer of my friend Tom's is a first for me.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Brazed hammer
Unread 06-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Brazed hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Poindexter View Post
Hey Tom: Do you need that brazed on right hand hammer? I just picked up a Grade 2 toplever on a 2 frame that is missing the right hammer. I would dearly love to buy it from you if you would part with it. Thanks.

Mike

Sent you a pm.