Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 10-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #21
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,541 Times in 4,621 Posts

I had one of these Rangers in 12g. not long ago. Has the safety in the trigger guard like that too. It is very similar to the Stevens models that had the tang safety, but a bit different. It is neat how they take down. Not the easiest thing in the world, but not too bad.

Birchwood Casey makes a cold barrel brown. I have some, but have never used it. The Laurel Mountain Forge Browning solution can be used cold as well.
Unread 10-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #22
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Hause View Post
Thanks Drew for posting these items. Interesting, huh. Since this Stevens 520 was being shot in 1912 it means it was a direct competitor to the Winchester Models 12/97.

This gun, weighing (according to your post) 7 lb 13 oz feels like a real chunk of steel! But it is lighter than the Remington Model 11 which they started making around 1903.

It is interesting collecting repeating shotguns of this era. They were serious shooters back then and if shooters wanted to be modern they often bought repeaters. My 1923 Model 12 has cast off and so does this 520 (which is actually a Montgomery Wards model 30 (I think); but is the same gun as the Stevens 520). So the men who ordered these guns were serious about a gun that fit. Most folks today accept the gun as it comes off of the rack. I always have. If I want a gun with cast off I have to buy an old one.

This is a fine double site and I hesitate to even mention my old pumps/autos; but I find them interesting. They are usually cheap - but they are far from junk. Being a shotgun kook, I'm a fan of them all.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #23
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
I had one of these Rangers in 12g. not long ago. Has the safety in the trigger guard like that too. It is very similar to the Stevens models that had the tang safety, but a bit different. It is neat how they take down. Not the easiest thing in the world, but not too bad.

Birchwood Casey makes a cold barrel brown. I have some, but have never used it. The Laurel Mountain Forge Browning solution can be used cold as well.
Thanks for the info about the browning solution. I'll look into it. I'd never heard of cold browning before!

I'm going to shoot this 520 Thursday. I hope I don't insult the other guys' with their fine guns which are amazing! I don't want the guys to think I'm making fun of them.
Unread 10-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #24
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,836 Times in 2,363 Posts

The later version of the No. 520, sometimes found marked No. 520-30, that were the "riot" guns of WW-II and later, and are also found in hunting versions with "store brand" markings does not appear in any J. Stevens Arms Co. or Savage/Stevens/Fox catalogues in my collection. It does appear in my 1950 Savage/Stevesn/Fox parts catalogue as the Model 520A though --

Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #25
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post

Yep that Stevens has the strangest take down feature that I've ever seen! You jack the forearm, twist the magazine which partially unscrews it and a locking device slips out of the receiver. You tap the barrel from the bottom and it slides from the bottom and it comes out the top of the receiver along a set of machined groves. Very strange.

No gun maker in his right mind would make such a gun today. It would cost a fortune to make.
Unread 10-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #26
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noreen View Post
The later version of the No. 520, sometimes found marked No. 520-30, that were the "riot" guns of WW-II and later, and are also found in hunting versions with "store brand" markings does not appear in any J. Stevens Arms Co. or Savage/Stevens/Fox catalogues in my collection. It does appear in my 1950 Savage/Stevesn/Fox parts catalogue as the Model 520A though --

There are several of those 520 - 30s offered for sale on GI, but they want $1800 for one.