Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Parker Hammer Lifter
Unread 09-01-2024, 06:34 AM   #1
Debbie Oyler
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Parker Hammer Lifter

I am looking for a specific Parker Hammer lifter gun in 12 gauge. This particular gun has the patented check hook. It has the latch forend, the larger firing pins, and the screw that holds the receiver together located behind the hammers. There were 1000 of these made from 1881 to 1907. The grade is not important, but I am looking for one that is in good shape and shoot-able!
Please let me know if know of one that is available.
Thank you.
Debbie Oyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2024, 07:49 AM   #2
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 18,345 Times in 4,722 Posts

It sounds like you are talking about what is called a “check hook lifter”. These were transition guns between the lifter and top actions. They are serial numbered in the 24,000 to 26,000 range.

Or any guns later than that were if a customer specifically wanted a lifter action hammer gun.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 09-10-2024, 01:15 PM   #3
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,185 Times in 459 Posts

I had tried to pick up one of each version of the lifters over the last couple of years (actually the hammer guns). A few months ago I purchased a lifter (from the description and pictures I took it to be a parts gun and didn't pay much). When it arrived I found it to be a final version lifter, G grade, with nice metal, all original, with really nice wood. Everything there and original parts. It was terribly dirty but cleaned up nicely. Solid operation and no appreciable mechanical wear.

The serial number was in the 24000 range and it appears to be one of the models you mentioned, except that it had a standard Grade 2 lock. I have a 16 gauge top lever hammer from 4 years later and it has the lock with the rear screw.

I had never given much thought thought to this and went through the appropriate sections of TPS, but the whole issue of that particular lock doesn't seem to be addressed. They make a few comments about locks but the only thing definite they mention is that the 4 pin locks were used on Grade 3 and higher guns. They seem to indicate in general that the locks were changed some over time but there were no particular rhyme or reason about the application. This is the first time I have seen this issue raised, as opposed to the adoption of the check hook barrel system and improved frame at the time.

Does anyone know the specific history of that style of lock? Also, I wondered about the source of the statement about the total production of these guns being 1000? I don't see any records pertaining to lock style and have never seen it in a factory letter, so wondered about the basis of the claim. It is impossible to pin down the number of Parker made barrels with the fact that they were installed at times on guns marked as Damascus grades or ordered that way. I am not sure how you would find data on lock types.

Really curious about the whole subject.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2024, 04:27 PM   #4
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,636 Times in 784 Posts

Correct me if I’m wrong but the lifter lock screw was positioned forward because the action type allowed it to be so. The top lever lock screw was towards the rear because of the top lever positioning and its components did not allow it to be forward. Take the locks off and see for yourself.
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2024, 09:16 PM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 18,345 Times in 4,722 Posts

Yes Jim. That is correct.
Unread 09-10-2024, 10:06 PM   #6
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,636 Times in 784 Posts

Thank you Brian.
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2024, 12:10 PM   #7
Debbie Oyler
PGCA Member

Member Info

Art, The statement that 1000 of the type of gun I'm looking for comes from "The Parker Story" in the chapter on Hammer guns. There were other guns made with the newer lock design and other modifications, but these were top lever guns.

The important question to me is if you are interested in selling the gun. I would also be interested in the 16 ga. Please let me know.
Debbie Oyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2024, 01:39 PM   #8
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,185 Times in 459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie Oyler View Post
Art, The statement that 1000 of the type of gun I'm looking for comes from "The Parker Story" in the chapter on Hammer guns. There were other guns made with the newer lock design and other modifications, but these were top lever guns.

The important question to me is if you are interested in selling the gun. I would also be interested in the 16 ga. Please let me know.

I have no interest in selling either. I bought both recently to fill out slots in my collection. Neither fit the description you are trying to find anyway.

You also may consider posting in the wanting to buy forum. Most people here likely check that more often than some of the other forums. A post there will reach a more focused audience.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote