Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Frank Lefever
Unread 01-25-2023, 03:39 PM   #1
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,415 Times in 4,593 Posts

Default Frank Lefever

over the summer time I finished up a pretty extensive project in bringing back a special Lefever from the scrap heap. The gun was found in Utica, NY where it had been in the same family for at least 60+ years. And the state of the gun was as they had always knew it. Poor. The barrels had been cut to 26" from the assumed original length of 32". The ribs were loose. The buttstock was hacked up and scarfed together from a few different pieces of wood. The trigger guard was cut, drilled and mangled. The engraving was dirty, worn and there were some mechanical issues as well as bent up trigger shoes. The gun was passed on by a few people before the current owner saw its potential and decided to rescue it. As well as being very dedicated to bringing it back to its rightful state.

The gun is odd in that instead of is being marked "Lefever Arms Co.", the side plates are engraved "Frank Lefever". Frank was one of Uncle Dan Lefevers Sons, he worked in the Lefever factory, and later on for Hollenbeck/3 barrel/Royal, Hunter Arms and Remington. And after that opening his own gunsmithing operation, also named the Lefever Arms Co. First in Ilion, then Frankfort and then carried on by his son in Lee Center.

It is a real curiosity as to why the gun bears his name. Was it a personal gun? Was it a presentation gun? An apprenticeship gun? Who knows. The gun is not unique in that one other gun has been found with the name "Frank Lefever" on it. That gun was about 10,000 serial numbers ahead of this one. both are a curiosity for sure.

Below are summaries of some of the work done on the gun as well as finished photos of the project. The gun was being displayed in Vegas last weekend by the owner, maybe some of you saw it?

The gun when it was found.

313011676_562439592350682_3112401544330690591_n.jpeg

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1050.jpeg

installation and shaping of a new horn forend tip. As well as refinishing the original forend and recutting its checkering.

IMG_3783.jpeg

IMG_3787.jpeg

IMG_3789.jpeg

1.jpeg

IMG_3796.jpeg

IMG_3804.jpeg

IMG_9437.jpeg

The original trigger guard strap had to be cut off and another one welded on. Along with some light reshaping of the new scrap to match the Lefever style. The guard is shown below next to an original Lefever straight grip guard. Geoffroy Engraved the strap and I finished it for an aged look.

IMG_3870D.jpg

IMG_3871D.jpg

IMG_3872D.jpg

IMG_3872D.jpg

IMG_3874D.jpg

IMG_3875D.jpg

IMG_9463.jpeg

The stock blank chosen to be put on the gun.

2b.jpeg

And some photos of the finished gun. Breck Gorman also stripped and relayed the ribs and refinished the barrel finish. There is nothing that could be done about the cut barrels. in the long run, 26" is not all that bad. At least they were not shorter. Or else we would have been looking for replacement barrels too.
I replaced all of the screws on the gun as well, also engraved by Geoffroy.

Enjoy.

IMG_9430.jpeg

IMG_9431.jpeg

IMG_9434.jpeg

IMG_9435.jpeg

IMG_9436.jpeg

IMG_9439.jpeg

IMG_9440.jpeg

IMG_9441.jpeg

IMG_9442.jpeg

IMG_9443.jpeg

IMG_9445.jpeg

IMG_9447.jpeg

IMG_9470.jpeg

IMG_9472.jpeg

IMG_9473.jpg

IMG_9474.jpeg

IMG_9477.jpeg

IMG_9467.jpg

IMG_9468.jpeg
allen newell, Austin Smith, Bill Jolliff, Bill Murphy, Bob Decker, Bob Jurewicz, Bob Kimble, bob weeman, Breck Gorman, Brett Trimble, Brian Hornacek, bruce a lyons, chris dawe, Chris Pope, Chris Robenalt, Craig Larter, Daryl Corona, Dave Noreen, Dave Tercek, David Holes, David Noble, David Penland, Donald F. Mills, Donald McQuade, edgarspencer, Eric Estes, Frank Cronin, Garry L Gordon, George Davis, J. Scott Hanes, James L. Martin, james whittington, Joe Dreisch, John Albano, John Davis, Jones Cahill, Karl Ferguson, keavin nelson, Ken Descovich, Ken Snyder, Kevin McCormack, Larry Stauch, Mark Garrett, Matt Buckley, Mike Franzen, Mike Koneski, Mike Poindexter, Mills Morrison, Pete Kappes, Pete Lester, Phil Yearout, Richard Flanders, Rick Losey, Robert Brooks, Russell E. Cleary, Sara LeFever, scott kittredge, Scott Truitt, Steve Huffman, Thomas L. Benson Sr., Timothy Salgado, todd allen, TOM DAMIANI, Tom Kidd, Tom Pellegrini, Victor Wasylyna, Wayne Owens
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 01-25-2023, 03:42 PM   #2
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

That is an excellent result!
Unread 01-25-2023, 04:34 PM   #3
Brett Trimble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks for sharing this, Brian. Masterful work!
Brett Trimble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brett Trimble For Your Post:
Unread 01-25-2023, 04:40 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

just wow....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2023, 04:48 PM   #5
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,415 Times in 952 Posts

Holy Cow. Brian, did any of the metal engraving require hand touch up or chasing? It looks amazing.
Unread 01-25-2023, 05:12 PM   #6
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco View Post
Holy Cow. Brian, did any of the metal engraving require hand touch up or chasing? It looks amazing.

Not really. Just a little bit at the back of the top tang around the screw. Everything cleaned up very well with just ultrasonic cleaning.
Unread 01-25-2023, 05:17 PM   #7
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

What an amazing reclamation. Great example of extraordinary craftsmanship.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2023, 06:00 PM   #8
George Lang
PGCA Member

Member Info

Brian great work as always.
George Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George Lang For Your Post:
Unread 01-25-2023, 06:12 PM   #9
Michael D Hankinson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Another great project Brian, is there an accounting of what this restoration cost the current owner? I'm wondering if restoring a beautiful gun like that would be more costly than finding an equivalent unless the current owner came from the family that owned it originally.
Michael D Hankinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2023, 06:23 PM   #10
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

It was a labor of love for sure and I am thankful to the owner for being committed to saving the gun as that is what it was about. Anyone should know that none of these things are worth what is spent on them for restoration. It just is what it is.

I will not publicly share the cost of the work. If you have a specific project you are interested in, you can feel free to contact me.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!