Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Help with barrel flat markings please
Unread 03-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Help with barrel flat markings please

Got my new to me VHE 12 gauge. Late Remington in very nice condition. Has an issue or two that needs to be resolved, but its a keeper. Would request help in decoding the barrel flat markings. First one is:

Made in U.S.A
HT and a Capital A below V in a circle and a 4. Figure V is for V grade and 4 is the barrel weight

Second one is:

This is more interesting to me. Capital E and G followed by two small circles with a vertical line in between. Also a circle with 6 small lines radiating around it like a sun rays.

Other things of note is the length to end of wood is 13 1/4". To end of Jostam pad is 14.5" so it was lopped at some point as there's 4 holes in the buttstock. Chokes are .015 on right and .038 on left. Twin Ivory beads.

Anyway, would appreciate idea's on what all the extra barrel flat markings are. Thanks
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,781 Times in 1,069 Posts

HT/A = High tensile alloy steel
Small sunburst symbol likely an inspector's mark
E. and G. probably Remington codes (?)
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,169 Times in 4,896 Posts

October 1936, Tom. This is a manufacturing date. With suffixes, it would be a repair or parts replacement code. It's a nice gun to sell. Let me know. You are the man. Sorry, I misread the chart. The year is 1938.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,117 Times in 2,434 Posts

If the E G are Remington codes that would be October (E) 1938 (G)
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks all. She tips the scales at 7 lbs 11 oz. I'm headed to Florida with the better half tomorrow for a week. When I get back I'll take a few pictures and post them.

Nice remaining Case Color and amazingly enough a fairly figured buttstock. I think this would be a awesome pheasant gun, but first thing is probably wild turkey's. I've got some RST 1 1/4 oz loads of 6's that I got last year. Like these later Parkers. Drop at Comb is 1 1/2" Drop at heel a delightful 2 3/8". I can shoot this gun I'm thinking.
Unread 03-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,922 Times in 12,561 Posts

Tom, a modestly figured American Black Walnut stock on a Remington VH or VHE isn't "amazing" at all really. We have seen quite a number of such V's and in my opinion are the equal of, or better figured than, the Meriden era Grade 2 guns wood.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #7
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Tom, a modestly figured American Black Walnut stock on a Remington VH or VHE isn't "amazing" at all really. We have seen quite a number of such V's and in my opinion are the equal of, or better figured than, the Meriden era Grade 2 guns wood.

I'm sure your correct. My VH made in 1900 is as straight grain and as non-figured as they come. Agree this is early GH level wood on this one no doubt.
Unread 03-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,781 Times in 1,069 Posts

More highly than expected wood quality commensurate with grade of gun is quite common on Remington Ilion-produced Parkers. The higher-grade wood brought from Meriden to Ilion wound up on a lot of Remington Parkers (e.g., V- and G- grade) that would not have normally been stocked with such highly-figured blanks. Rather than purchase and shape more plain-Jane blanks, Remington used what was at hand.

With only a few years to go until WW II sealed the fate of the Parker Gun, and with so few Remington Ilion Parkers produced, we pleasantly see lower grade guns with high grade wood fairly frequently. One of the very best is a VHE 12 gauge 1/2 frame skeet gun that made its way through the Washington DC area around 10 years ago. The wood on it would have made a D grade proud!
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote