Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Parker-like...
Unread 11-09-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
Kent Nickerson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Parker-like...

Many hours to make....by hand....good wood...skilled engineering...elegant design...not anything better in this world for accomplishing what it was designed to do....

Kent Nickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 05:51 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Great photos Kent. Looks like an Alaskan Rainbow. . . how far off is my guess?

Who made that pretty rod?
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
Kent Nickerson
Forum Associate

Member Info

The rod was made by Charles Jenkins about 36 years ago...I think his son is still making them just like his dad did...

The rainbow is from a spring creek in Idaho...here's another big boy poking his nose up at me the same day...
Unread 11-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I hope you put the camera down and sent a hopper or a dun out to him
Unread 11-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
Kent Nickerson
Forum Associate

Member Info

The great thing about this place in October is that one only needs two patterns....Blue Wings in 20 and Gray Drakes in 10. When the drakes come floating down they look like big sailboats and the big noses start poking up and sipping. My only problem is my hands get to shaking when I have to retie...I sort of like it that big rising trout still do that to me after 50 years! Don't like dropping the flybox, though...
Unread 11-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I feel your pain - The evening spinner fall, which commences at about dusk is murder on these old eyes. I can barely see my fly drifting down the riffle (one would say "just lift the rod tip when you see a rise" but there is such a feeding frenzy that I couldn't begin to say which one had taken my fly) and it is such an exciting time that I always pop one off on the hook-set . . . then I can't see to tie one back on. I use magnifyers on my hat brim and a light too but I'm shaking so badly it is usually hopeless. Oh, did I mention I will have already released a few two and three pounders? Can we experience deep satisfaction and sheer frustration at the same time?? I think so
A fine instrument indeed- length and line weight??
Unread 11-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default A fine instrument indeed- length and line weight??

[QUOTE=Kent Nickerson;6935]The rod was made by Charles Jenkins about 36 years ago...I think his son is still making them just like his dad did...

The rainbow is from a spring creek in Idaho...here's another big boy poking his nose up at me the same day...
[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/bluetoon/noses.jpg[-- Jenkins rods are first rate, as are the R.L. Winstons (especially the Stoner-Merrick ones made in San Francisco) the Gary Howells (who apprenticed with Doug Merrick) the Grangers- both the Goodwin Grangers and the later Wright & McGill Grangers, the rods favored by writer John Gierach made by various Western makers-- some one once said that if Winstons and Grangers had been made in the Highland Mills-Central Valley upstate NY area instead of out in the Western areas, they would have had the 'cachet' ascribed to the pre-fire Leonards and the Jim Payne rods-was your rod refinished over the course of its 36 years? It looks very clean with impeccable wraps and varnish?
Do you alternate the tips when out for a full day's fishing? rotate it 180 degrees to spread the load stress of a heavy fish against the spline of the rod shaft- the late Paul Young advocated doing that I believe- what reel and type of line do you use with this fine rod??
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 10:08 PM   #8
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

I have a new rod made by C W and Steve Jenkins, same quality workmanship as always. I'll post photos when I get back.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
Kent Nickerson
Forum Associate

Member Info

My finest friend, the late Art Carter wrote about this Jenkins rod in his book Sporting Craftsmen many years ago....it went something like "my friend has seriously used it and frankly abused it....". yes, I do alternate tips, I have waxed it infrequently, I have cast shot with it, I have double hauled big wet muddlers with it... dredged big nymphs with it. I have never turned it backwards to reel in a fish. It has never been refinished. No sets. Only one hook gouge in the double burgundy tip....just a little one. (I am older now and do not do any of these abusive things anymore). I fish hardy lightweight reels...nothing sounds like a Hardy when a good fish takes off..and they look like trout reels to me. I am confident that when I die my daughter will fish this rod. She is infatuated with Winston now. Plastic ones. I think she'll get over it. She did manage to settle in a place I like...

Last edited by Kent Nickerson; 11-10-2009 at 10:47 PM..
Unread 11-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

A friend brought a cane rod to me to try to put a value on it. When I removed it from it's tube and looked at the name on the rod I jumped up and went to my library and returned with a book by John Gierach wherein he ascribes the value of this rod as "worth about the same today as when it was new . . . less than $100." Yup, you guessed it - a Horrocks-Ibbotsen . . . but a very nice one