Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 11-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
Bill Bolyard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Bruce,

I am just wondering, how is it that a refinished Purdey's value is not effected, but a Parker or any American double is? Is it that the British opinion so differs from us.

Bill

"Let me hasten to explain, ere the cat people bristle their back fur,that we have nothing against little kitties who stay by the fire and restrict their diet to canned salmon. Our members wouldn't dream of shooting a cat in the lap of an elderly lady sitting in a rocking chair in the front parlor, provided the window is closed".

Corey Ford
Bill Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #12
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,976 Times in 1,422 Posts

Dean,

I'm so glad to read that you have great grandmother Jessie's Parker! I remember her talking about it when I was just a small lad. Seems that she set the gun, along with the case, on the bumper of her car, got distracted and drove off leaving the gun behind. Realizing what she did, she and Henry returned a short time later and the gun was gone!!!

Since I'm the only surviving descendant of my dear departed great grandparents, the gun is rightfully mine. Sooo, in order to dampen your disappointment on returning the gun to me, I'll gladly pay you for your trouble and send you a check in the amount Henry paid originally for the gun. Should cover the cost of shipping
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #13
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Now that is what I call a true friend!
Unread 11-19-2009, 03:12 PM   #14
Robert Delk
PGCA Member

Member Info

I was present at the sale of a 24" CHE in 28 guage in 1976 to a gentleman from Kansas by a well known dealer from Maine. The gun was in an Abercrombie & Fitch case and about unfired condition.Jim had obtained the gun in a trade. He had a new Caddy and traded even up to get the gun.I heard later that the gun was sold for about double what the gentleman from Kansas had paid for it. A year or two's salary for me each time it traded hands.
Robert Delk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #15
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,239 Times in 12,378 Posts

Hmmm... let me think that over... ____________
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #16
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
Russ:

Larry Baer
Bruce ; I have read this in Baer's book ,also ,I am sure this has been proven over and over again , The Smith I mentioned had a very wore hinge pin and many other issues ,we brought it back to life so to speak ,but there is no doubt if the gun would have been solid ,it would have been an easier sale in original condition than refinished !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #17
Bill Bolyard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
I don't know, Bill. Right or wrong, American gun collectors have an aversion to re-case colored guns. I could be wrong, not knowing the market, but I do not believe the same is true for blued action guns. I'm not the guy to ask. I've acquired a few nice Parkers, that's all.
Bruce,

That's the Attorney's answer, I am looking for your opinion. I have also seen part of you meager collection, although it does not rival the Parkers I have managed to put together on my fixed income, you could at least explain this phenomena.

You Bird shooting Friend

Bill

"Let me hasten to explain, ere the cat people bristle their back fur,that we have nothing against little kitties who stay by the fire and restrict their diet to canned salmon. Our members wouldn't dream of shooting a cat in the lap of an elderly lady sitting in a rocking chair in the front parlor, provided the window is closed".

Corey Ford
Unread 11-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #18
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,976 Times in 1,422 Posts

It was worth a try
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #19
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Whoa, Bill. Now don't try to start something. Remember we have fellows here who always have the superior opinion and whose ideas are better than anyone elses'. So I'm not biting. We can continue this conversation on the Kansas prairies.

Last edited by Bruce Day; 11-19-2009 at 07:32 PM..
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #20
Bill Bolyard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Whoa, Bill. Now don't try to start something. Remember we have fellows here who always have the superior opinion and whose ideas are better than anyone elses'. So I'm not biting. We can continue this conversation on the Kansas prairies.
Chicken!

Corey Ford