Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 11-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #11
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

It was located in the waters controlled by the Walpole Island Indian Reservation.

From what I was told, they closed it because the clubhouse and grounds needed a lot of work but the members weren't willing to pay all the money unless the Indians gave them a longer lease.

The Indians refused and so ended the oldest club in Canada. Again, just what I was told by a local, maybe not the whole story or the right story.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #12
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
Canada club was across the channel from Harsen's island in the Detroit River. I never had the chance to shoot there, but I understand it was coats and ties for dinner, with the oldest member sitting at the head of the table, doing the serving. The gunning logs looked like a history of American business
Exactly how it was described to me; coat and tie, white linnen table cloths, china and silver. The logs, I was told, date back over 100 years and detail by blind who hunted and birds taken. Hopefully all of the antiquities will find their ways into appreciative hands.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #13
Bill Bolyard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Destry and Jay,

Wouldn't it be great to have a book about the club based on the club book, old photos and story's by the few that are still alive.

Bill

"Let me hasten to explain, ere the cat people bristle their back fur,that we have nothing against little kitties who stay by the fire and restrict their diet to canned salmon. Our members wouldn't dream of shooting a cat in the lap of an elderly lady sitting in a rocking chair in the front parlor, provided the window is closed".

Corey Ford
Bill Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 08:40 PM   #14
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

I couldn't agree more, Bill. And given Destry's passion for and knowlege of waterfowling and his ability to write well, I think he would be the perfect researcher and author.

Jay
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 01:02 AM   #15
nid-28
PGCA Member

Member Info

A pistol grip VHE 20 skeet in very nice shape ended up with a friend of mine in Pa. It's an early Remington transition gun, not marked Parker on the bottom. He also bought the 30" DHE 28 which is also nice. The guns arrived this morning.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 08:31 AM   #16
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,755 Posts

Lester Ruwe, another Grosse Point Farms resident and serious gun guy and hunter, owned a spread in Ontario he called Hubertus. Does anyone know about this hunting club or maybe someone we know may have shot there? The Ruwes were serious gunners who hunted all over the world. Kevin M. and I happened into a yard sale in the Washington, D.C. area where the Ruwe hunting equipment was being sold. Lester Ruwe's son, Nicholas had an ambassador's position and his wife, Nancy was the social secretary at the White House for some time.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #17
Anthony Cain
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the education, I was a photograper for GM, and I remember taking Roger B. Smith's Photograph for a article in the Atlanta Journal & Constitution. I met him at the Ritze Carlton Hotel in Buckhead. The AJC sent their own Photograper/reporter, I was there to take photos for GM, and to give them alternative photos for the AJC Article, in case Mr. Smith did not care for the AJC's photos. I met Mr. Smith on several other occations, I wish I had known about the history of hunt clubs, and the GM Leadership. Those days If I worked 12 hours it was a short day. Little time to get out in the woods, My bird dog, a Vizsla named Frida was raised by my wife because I worked so much.
Anthony Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #18
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

The Rewe Marsh was at the lower end of the Detroit River, just north of Amherstberg, Ontario, and about 4 miles or so north of the point where the River dumps into the Northwest corner of Laker Erie. The marsh was sold about 4 years ago for several million $$. Don't know anything about the new owners. When sold, it was two parcels, as I understand it. One was the marsh itself, and the other was the cabin site which was about a half mile away. They may have been sold separately
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #19
Bill Bolyard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Roger Smith also hunted at the Turtle Lake Club in northern Michigan. They have around 26,000 acres, the club was establish in the late 1880's. Many of our political leaders from the postmaster general to supreme court justices, and Captains of industry have hunted there. Al Warren was one of them along with Mr Freuhoff that owns that little trailer company

Bill

"Let me hasten to explain, ere the cat people bristle their back fur,that we have nothing against little kitties who stay by the fire and restrict their diet to canned salmon. Our members wouldn't dream of shooting a cat in the lap of an elderly lady sitting in a rocking chair in the front parlor, provided the window is closed".

Corey Ford
Bill Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 09:21 AM   #20
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Fruehoff was a member of a duck marsh about 5 miles SE of the Ruwe Marsh. There was (and still is) a lot of American $$$ in those duck marshes
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote