Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

DuMochelle Auction?
Unread 11-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Default DuMochelle Auction?

Been in the woods since Friday and have not heard much feedback on the DuMochelle auction? Anyone come away a winner?
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
Bill Bolyard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Jay,

I ended up with the 20ga straight grip VHE skeet gun.

Bill

"Let me hasten to explain, ere the cat people bristle their back fur,that we have nothing against little kitties who stay by the fire and restrict their diet to canned salmon. Our members wouldn't dream of shooting a cat in the lap of an elderly lady sitting in a rocking chair in the front parlor, provided the window is closed".

Corey Ford
Bill Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,755 Posts

Great neighborhood, that Detroit. I have a few Winchesters that came from the same neighborhood. Grosse Point Farms must be a good place to live. This guy was a GM big wig. My guns came from a gentleman who lived in a house (mansion) once owned by Harley Earle, the great, more than great, Buick designer. The fellow who owned my guns was not a GM guy, but was an oil guy from the Detroit area who owned a thousands of acres hunting preserve in Ontario. He had some kind of relationship with Harley Earle. My "Joe Knapp Club" Model 21 duck gun came from him. Apparently, some of the GM guys were great gun guys and hunters.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
Bill Bolyard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

This auction was of the estate of Al Warren, he was a vice president I be leave of GM that negotiated with the UAW. I met Al around 25 years ago, I doubt he would remember me, but he was a gentlemen, and a conservationist

Bill.

"Let me hasten to explain, ere the cat people bristle their back fur,that we have nothing against little kitties who stay by the fire and restrict their diet to canned salmon. Our members wouldn't dream of shooting a cat in the lap of an elderly lady sitting in a rocking chair in the front parlor, provided the window is closed".

Corey Ford
Bill Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Got some more scoop this afternoon on my way back down. Report: most of the guns went for close to retail price; DuMochelle had no idea what they were doing or how to handle the guns; a rent-a-cop was in charge of describing guns over the phone Friday afternoon/evening; Feds came in and told DuMochelle that they could not sell some of the exotic mounts or the ivory. Sounds like a cluster-#@!&.

Hopefully some of the guns found good homes with Parker guys. Glad I did not waste time trying to get a "deal."

By the way, Grosse Pointe has always been serious money; old money; quiet money. I am sure there are several Parkers that would command serious lust sitting in some of those old mansions.

Not surprised about the GM Execs being hunters/shooters. Roger Smith was a big time hunter and had/has quite a collection of fine guns. For those of you familiar with the Detroit suburbs, Neville Geeke was Roger's gunsmith.
Unread 11-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

Most of the big duck clubs in the Mitchell's Bay / Walpole Island area were either owned or controlled by car manufacturer money. I think they've all either gone back to the indians or been sold off now though. The last that I knew of was The Canada Club, they had their last season last year I believe.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #7
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Destry,

Sorry to hear of the demise of the Canada Club. Never had an opportunity to hunt there or even see the place but from all accounts it was quite a club.

Jay
Unread 11-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

It was the Winous Point of Canada, the oldest in the country by all accounts. I never got to shoot there either, a friend did a couple years ago though. They never busted a cap but getting to see the clubhouse and everything would have been well worth the trip.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
C Roger Giles
PGCA Member

Member Info

I thought the Canada Club was further east on lake Erie past Point Pelee and not in the Detroit/Windsor area. I have an aquaintence who shot there (Canada Club) a few times. He was in charge of the punters at the Ottawa Club on Sandusky Bay that is right next to the Winnous Point Club.

Roger
C Roger Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #10
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Canada club was across the channel from Harsen's island in the Detroit River. I never had the chance to shoot there, but I understand it was coats and ties for dinner, with the oldest member sitting at the head of the table, doing the serving. The gunning logs looked like a history of American business
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote